Velocity Reviews

-   -   Microsft lost my free upgrade order. Need help with info (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t488849-microsft-lost-my-free-upgrade-order-need-help-with-info.html)

Neal 08-13-2005 06:40 PM

Microsft lost my free upgrade order. Need help with info

Well Microsoft lost my order for the XP 64bit upgrade. Now my problem is
that I no longer have XP 32bit on my computer and they need my COA. Is
there any way for me to pull this off the CD rom disk so I do not have to
fully install XP again.

Thanks,

Fat Bastard 08-13-2005 07:17 PM

Re: Microsft lost my free upgrade order. Need help with info

"Neal" <jarrettracing@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Well Microsoft lost my order for the XP 64bit upgrade. Now my problem is
> that I no longer have XP 32bit on my computer and they need my COA. Is
> there any way for me to pull this off the CD rom disk so I do not have to
> fully install XP again.
>
> Thanks,

TAP at its best!

Rick 08-13-2005 08:05 PM

Re: Microsft lost my free upgrade order. Need help with info

The COA is the xxxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx number that is on the label. The one
that is on the computer after installation is the Product ID (PID).

If you have your label, you have the COA at hand.

Bruce Chambers 08-14-2005 12:48 AM

Neal wrote:
> Well Microsoft lost my order for the XP 64bit upgrade. Now my problem is
> that I no longer have XP 32bit on my computer and they need my COA. Is
> there any way for me to pull this off the CD rom disk so I do not have to
> fully install XP again.
>
> Thanks,

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
be -- used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
a new license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Neal 08-14-2005 01:23 AM

Re: Microsft lost my free upgrade order. Need help with info

Thanks, I messed up I need the PID not the COA. It looks like they are
asking for both on the fax form. Is there a way to pull this up with out
installing?

Thanks

Rick 08-14-2005 12:32 PM

Re: Microsft lost my free upgrade order. Need help with info

You should only need one, either the COA or the PID. That's the method
that was used on-line and the web page for that had both boxes too.

Neal 08-14-2005 09:57 PM