Velocity Reviews

-   -   Pro x64 and Vista (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t488620-pro-x64-and-vista.html)

=?Utf-8?B?VGVycnk=?= 07-28-2005 05:07 PM

Pro x64 and Vista

Do I understand correctly, that I will be able to do an installation of
Vista( when available ) from my current x64 os without reloading my
applications? This would be desirable as I am using hard to load apps like
AutoCAD and 3ds Max.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 07-28-2005 05:22 PM

Re: Pro x64 and Vista

Inplace upgrades are not supported in the beta 1 release of Windows Vista
and please keep all Vista related questions in the Vista newsgroups if you
are the technical beta. MSDN Subscribers should also have a supported
newsgroup to post queries.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

=?Utf-8?B?VGVycnk=?= 07-28-2005 05:43 PM

Re: Pro x64 and Vista

I have a new Dell with Pro x64. I am not "technical beta". I'm simply asking
a technical question concerning these operating systems. It seems to me that
this is a legitimate X64 question.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 07-28-2005 05:59 PM

Re: Pro x64 and Vista

Ok, I can understand that, but the point is, not inplace upgrades allowed,
not for x86 or x64.

=?Utf-8?B?VGVycnk=?= 07-28-2005 06:31 PM

Re: Pro x64 and Vista

Thanks for the response. I got the idea from a previous thread entitled
"Testers begin to unravel secrets..."

Charlie Russel - MVP 07-28-2005 10:58 PM

Re: Pro x64 and Vista

At some point, yes. At the initial beta level, I'd be extremely surprised if
it were working. Beta one is always pretty raw, and it's not really for real
work. It's more to get things in place for later betas.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Colin Barnhorst 07-29-2005 04:55 AM

Re: Pro x64 and Vista

I have run the Vista 64 installation from my XP x64 desktop and installed
Vista to a different hard drive. The Vista installer set up the multiboot
screen. If you run the installer this way you will see an option to do an
upgrade, but I suspect that at this point that means upgrade Vista or
perhaps a message will appear advising that the feature is not available.
If you find yourself in the beta program you will have the opportunity to
use that option and see if it means that you can upgrade from x64 to Vista.
The explanation of the option appears onscreen and does say that you can
upgrade without losing your files, settings, and PROGRAMS. I would not
replace a working installation of XP x64 with Vista 64 beta 1 at this time
however. The primary problem right now is obtaining fully functional
antivirus and antimalware programs. I just tried Avast and it blocked IE7
from getting on the internet. I think AVG may be working, but it is too
soon to recommend it. As far as Norton and McAffee are concerned, go
phishing.

Colin Barnhorst 07-29-2005 04:58 AM

Re: Pro x64 and Vista

I can report outstanding results with Vista 64 beta 1 on my AMD Athlon 64 x2
box. But it is a work in progress none the less. It has been rock solid
all day.

Charlie Russel - MVP 07-29-2005 04:23 PM

Re: Pro x64 and Vista

I, on the other hand, will not be reporting anything here, one way or
another. That being the way I read my nda. ;)

Steve Foster [SBS MVP] 07-29-2005 07:38 PM

Re: Pro x64 and Vista

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

>I, on the other hand, will not be reporting anything here, one way or
>another. That being the way I read my nda. ;)

Perhaps Colin has downloaded it from MSDN, where there is no NDA to sign...

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]