Velocity Reviews

-   -   Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 Editi (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t488565-column-frequently-asked-questions-about-windows-xp-prof-x64-editi.html)

=?Utf-8?B?S2F0aWUgU2tpYmluc2tp?= 07-25-2005 11:31 PM

Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 Editi

New Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 Edition

Columnist Charlie Russel answers questions about Windows XP Professional x64
Edition that have appeared frequently in the new (and very active) Microsoft
Windows 64-bit Newsgroup.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...el_x64faq.mspx

Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

Katie Skibinski
Site Manager, vendor [MS]

Charlie Russel - MVP 07-26-2005 12:40 AM

Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 Editi

OK, folks. Go check the latest column on the Expert Zone! At least one thing
has changed since I wrote it -- we're starting to get our copies of x64
Edition through the TAP program! Meanwhile, I am, as always, here to answer
any questions that the column raises. Also, for additional information on
several of the questions in this FAQ, see our blog on msmvps.com/xperts64.
--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Barb Bowman 07-26-2005 10:02 AM

Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 Editi

Great column.

New question <G>. Why isn't there an x64 compatible version of Net
framework 1.1? I want to run RSS Bandit which requires it as well as
some other programs I have... 2.0 beta framework does not solve the
problem <G>

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:40:01 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote:

>OK, folks. Go check the latest column on the Expert Zone! At least one thing
>has changed since I wrote it -- we're starting to get our copies of x64
>Edition through the TAP program! Meanwhile, I am, as always, here to answer
>any questions that the column raises. Also, for additional information on
>several of the questions in this FAQ, see our blog on msmvps.com/xperts64.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Steve Thompson 07-26-2005 10:58 AM

Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64Editi

Joseph Conway [MSFT] 07-26-2005 02:05 PM

Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 Editi

And Charlie's site is located here: http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

Good information here as well.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 07-26-2005 02:44 PM

Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 Editi

Definitely a great place to check, I reference tips and tricks from their
all the time.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Steve Thompson 07-26-2005 03:06 PM

Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64Editi

Ted 07-26-2005 05:22 PM

Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 Editi

Thank you for directing me to the HP un-supported work around
site.
My Officejet 7210 now prints of recommended work around using
Deskjet 990c driver.
I put that computer on hold because I couldn't print, now I am
going to try to make it my Internet computer.

If you are interested for what I have in my computer:
D945PSN Intel motherboard
Intel 3.0 Dual Core Processor
2 WD Sata drives ( had to update the BIOS to fix slow file copy,
but XP 64 installed without SATA drivers)
1 GB RAM
LG DVD/CD writer
PRO 1000GT PWLA8391GT - OEM, a second network card. (has 64 bit driver)
USR 3CP2976-OEM Winmodem.
ATI All In wonder x600 Pro video card
Very tricky to install, first don't use enclosed driver, if you did then
be sure to uninstall it because the updated driver will give error
installing.
You need to download the driver from ATI website, but again be sure to
un-install
any previous ATI installed drivers.
Only the driver work, non of the All In Wonder software work.

So far most of the 32 bit software work.
Keyboard and mouse wouldn't work with the KVM switch, monitor does,
but didn't try it after the BIOS update yet. (Not a 64 bit issue.)

"Steve Thompson" <sthompson@njmailserver.com> wrote in message

Charlie Russel - MVP 07-26-2005 06:07 PM

Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 Editi

Barb -- .NET 1.1 is supported on x64. See KB# 894435

Charlie Russel - MVP 07-26-2005 06:19 PM

Re: Column: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Prof x64 Editi

Well, it's not _just_ my site. Several MS and MVP folks can post there. But
I'm trying to add value when I can to it.