Velocity Reviews

-   -   XP 64 won't boot after first part of install (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t488339-xp-64-wont-boot-after-first-part-of-install.html)

=?Utf-8?B?cGhyZWFrc3Rhcg==?= 07-12-2005 03:48 AM

XP 64 won't boot after first part of install

I have a DFI nf4 SLI-DR motherboard and I
am trying to install Windows XP 64-bit in a striped RAID array on them. I put
the disk in, load the drivers for my Silicon Image RAID controller (I have a
SATA DVD burner plugged into this, so I need this driver) and I load my
Nvidia RAID drivers from the F6 prompt when windows starts. (I have tried
both 6.39A English version and the 7.13 international version). Well, the
install starts off normally, the disk is detected and formatted. Then all
files are copied over to the disk and it even prompts me for the driver disks
again so that it can copy them to the windows directory. But when I reboot I
get a screen that says "Windows could not start because of a computer disk
hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk.
Check boot path and disk hardware."

I then booted into the recovery console and used bootcfg to redetect
everything and I even used fixboot to try and write a new boot record. Then I
got bootcfg to list the settings and everything looked great, but upon reboot
nothing works. The crazy part is that even if I disable RAID and install with
just one drive I get the same thing. But when I switch over to the Silicon
Image controller then the install progresses as normal. I don't want to
install with the Silicon Image controller due to lack of SATA-II support and
**** poor performance compared to the Nvidia RAID controller. If anyone has
any idea what the issue could be please let me know! I have messed around
with all kinds of boot configs and disabled and reenabled controllers. I even
disabled my IDE controller to see if they were confusing something. Nothing
seems to work.

Charlie Russel - MVP 07-12-2005 05:59 AM

Re: XP 64 won't boot after first part of install

Clearly it doesn't like the drivers you're using. The error means that the
drivers aren't fully compliant with x64. They're good enough to load in text
mode, but are failing in GUI mode. Check for updated drivers from DFI, and/or
www.planetamd64.com.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

John Barnes 07-12-2005 10:26 AM

Re: XP 64 won't boot after first part of install

Charlie, this is the same problem I have been reporting and following up on
for 6 weeks now with Nf4 and SATA II. See my posting under
Re: missing or corupt ntoskrnl.exe

=?Utf-8?B?cGhyZWFrc3Rhcg==?= 07-12-2005 12:00 PM

Re: XP 64 won't boot after first part of install

Well, the drivers that WinXP x64 doesn't like are the only drivers that
Nvidia has released for XP 64-bit. Like I said in my previous post I tried
the newest version of the English language drivers and the newest version
that they had released as International drivers. The version they post on
their site is from back in March or something. From reading John Barnes post
the situation right now is pretty much hopeless. I guess I'll just have to
contact DFI and hope that if they get enough complaints then they might get
something moving.

Charlie Russel - MVP 07-12-2005 01:55 PM

Re: XP 64 won't boot after first part of install

You're right. I think it's the SATAII that triggers it? Yet another reason
why I'm quite happy with my VIA right now.

I wonder -- my new SATA II Samsung drive came with a jumper to force it to
SATA I behaviour. I was having some issues with startup recognition of it,
since the VIA isn't SATA II and that meant it had to time out on SATA II and
then go to SATA I. I jumpered it, and all the problems went away. Any chance
that yours can be forced down to SATA I? And would that help?

John Barnes 07-12-2005 02:06 PM

Re: XP 64 won't boot after first part of install

Thanks, I'll contact them. I hope ASUS will start to take the issue
seriously. This is getting annoying and I don't need an extra storage
drive.

John Barnes 07-12-2005 02:12 PM

Re: XP 64 won't boot after first part of install

Do you know if you will have to reinstall when the driver situation is
resolved and you want to use it as a SATA II drive. While the info page for
Hitachi shows no difference, the test in device manager on my X86 system
where it works, shows a huge difference in burst speed and modest increase
in sustained speed.

Charlie Russel - MVP 07-12-2005 03:35 PM

Re: XP 64 won't boot after first part of install

I wouldn't think you'd need a re-install, but I don't have any direct
knowledge. I'm more interested to know if the Hitachi of yours actually has a
jumper to force it to SATA I, and if it does, if that helps.

Charlie Russel - MVP 07-12-2005 03:37 PM

Re: XP 64 won't boot after first part of install

Per John's messages -- are these by any chance SATA II drives? If so, can you
force them to SATA I with a jumper (my new Samsungs 200 Gb drives have this
feature.) And finally, if you force it to SATA I, does it now work?

John Barnes 07-12-2005 04:09 PM

Re: XP 64 won't boot after first part of install

There is no visible jumper on the drive and since it was OEM I have no
documentation. That said, I think with the 10+ replies from Hitachi, if
that were an option they would have proffered that by now. They
specifically told me that Samsung (I have Samsung SATA I drives that I have
installed on) wasn't native SATA II and they were native SATA II. I will
post the reply when I receive one.