Velocity Reviews

-   -   Forcing Install DriveLetter (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t488266-forcing-install-driveletter.html)

Juan Jansen 07-06-2005 03:46 PM

Forcing Install DriveLetter

Is it possible to force the driveletter where to install XP x64?

e.g.

If i want to install XP x64 on the Z:\ drive, can this the forced (through
winnt.sif / unattend?)

I do know you can choose the install drive(letter) when you try to install
Windows x64 from within a existing Windows x64 system.

Greetings

Juan Jansen

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 07-06-2005 04:13 PM

Re: Forcing Install DriveLetter

From Rick:
Changing the drive letter of the boot drive is a very involved process
of changing numerous entries in the registry, and in actuality is
virtually impossible.

You can change almost all of the other drives in the Computer Management
panel.

Is drive H where x64 ended up when you installed it? If so, that's
because that was the next free letter in your system. If you want x64
to be on drive Z, you will have to hide all your other hard drive
partitions so that x64 can install to Z.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

M. Murcek 07-06-2005 06:31 PM

Re: Forcing Install DriveLetter

When I installed, I found that the IDE Zip drive was holding drive letter
C:, making D: the install drive. I disconnected the Zip drive and then was
able to make WinXP x 64 land on C: during the re-install. But Andre is
right - after the fact, fuggeddaboudit..

Tony Sperlling 07-06-2005 06:54 PM

Re: Forcing Install DriveLetter

Let's say someone likes to do this, and wants to have a separate data
partition as well, then it might be possible, using partitioning software,
to create a primary partition with an extended partition and fill it with
drive letters. Then install the system in the remaining space and delete the
primary partition - with all the drive letters - and use that for a new data
partition.

I have never done anything like this, and I have not seen/heard of it, but
in a situation were you are installing a fresh system? I cannot think of
anything that might trip such a scheme, but maybe tomorrow I will?

Happy tinkering for the venturous.

Tony. . .

R. C. White 07-06-2005 10:23 PM

Re: Forcing Install DriveLetter

Hi, Juan.

I've never done an unattended install. It sounds very interesting, but as
just one guy with one computer, I haven't tried it. And I've never
installed WinXP from within an existing WinXP; I've always booted from the
WinXP CD-ROM.

As for specifying the drive letter to install WinXP, it can be done - within
limits - but it's tricky. Here's one way to put your second WinXP
installation onto Z:.

Boot into your first copy of WinXP and run Disk Management. Create a new
volume (either a primary partition or a logical drive in the extended
partition). If you want Z: to be at the far end of your HD, then create a
volume to use up all the unallocated space before your desired location.
(This need not be a permanent arrangement because you can delete this
temporary volume later. In fact, you don't even have to format this volume
or assign it a "drive" letter.) Assign this new volume the letter Z:. It's
probably a good idea to go ahead and have Disk Management format it, but I
don't think that's necessary.

Now you should have your old WinXP, plus all the "drives" you had before,
plus this new, empty Drive Z:.

Then boot from your WinXP CD-ROM and "clean install" a new copy of WinXP
into Drive Z:. Of course, your Drive C: will still be the System Partition
and will hold C:\NTLDR, C:\NTDETECT.COM and C:\Boot.ini. Boot.ini will have
a new entry, under [operating systems], listing the new \Windows folder in
rdisk(0)partition(5) - or whatever rdisk(#)partition(#) is your new Drive
Z:.

Later, if you want only the single WinXP on Z:, you can delete your original
C:\Windows boot folder.

But, as the others have said, if you let WinXP Setup create a new volume and
assign a letter, then there is no good way to change it - except by deleting
that volume and starting over. This MUST be done by installing a new copy
of WinXP into a volume with an existing "drive" letter.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Darrell Gorter[MSFT] 07-06-2005 10:45 PM

Re: Forcing Install DriveLetter

Hello,
Almost got it here. but this doesn't quite work either. If you boot from
the CD, you re-enumerate the drive so all the drive letters are assigned
from the boot, not from the drive letter that was previously assigned.
There is nothing on the drive that points to a particular drive letter.
If you start setup from within an existing OS, then you retain drive
letters since we pull the information from the registry, store it and use
it on the subsequent reboot.
When you boot from cd, drive are simply enumerated and each drive is
assigned a drive letter as it's found.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net>
<Subject: Re: Forcing Install DriveLetter
<Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 17:23:25 -0500
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<Hi, Juan.
<
[...]
<--
<R. C. White, CPA
<San Marcos, TX
<rc@corridor.net
<Microsoft Windows MVP
<
<"Juan Jansen" <juanjansen@home.nl> wrote in message
<> Is it possible to force the driveletter where to install XP x64?
<>
<> e.g.
<>

Juan Jansen 07-07-2005 03:38 AM

Re: Forcing Install DriveLetter

Hi Darrell,

Asking because, i find it strange that the A: & B: drive aren't used when
there is no Floppy drive in the system.

Now i do have a workaround.

1. Install Windows x64 (XP or 2003)
2. Create a Drive with drive letter A:
3. Run Windows x64 Setup (XP or 2003)
4. Select New Installation
5. Select the A: drive as install drive

That how i did it, but i want to have XP x64 installed on A: from a clean
boot!

Greetings

Juan Jansen

Darrell Gorter[MSFT] 07-07-2005 06:46 PM

Re: Forcing Install DriveLetter

Hello Juan,
Both A: and B: are reserved for floppy drives. At any point in time
someone could add a floppy drive to a system and want or need that drive to
be either A or B.
So those drive letters are reserved for floppies by setup
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Juan Jansen" <juanjansen@home.nl>
<Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 05:38:28 +0200
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<Hi Darrell,
<
[...]
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> --------------------
<> <From: "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net>
<> <Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 17:23:25 -0500
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <
<> <Hi, Juan.
<> <
[...]
<> <--
<> <R. C. White, CPA
<> <San Marcos, TX
<> <rc@corridor.net
<> <Microsoft Windows MVP
<> <
<> <"Juan Jansen" <juanjansen@home.nl> wrote in message
<> <news:uLs0lHkgFHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
<> <> Is it possible to force the driveletter where to install XP x64?
<> <>
<> <>