Velocity Reviews

-   -   Does XP PRO 64 support 2 x dual core processors? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t488189-does-xp-pro-64-support-2-x-dual-core-processors.html)

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?= 07-01-2005 10:59 AM

Does XP PRO 64 support 2 x dual core processors?

As per Microsofts: 5 reasons to go windows x64.

Under the sub heading: Multiprocessing and Multicore.
"Windows Xp Professional x64 Edition is designed to support up to two single
or multicore x64 processors for maximum performance and scalability."

Is this correct ? As I have read in the media that in Windows Server 2003
x64 the windows task manager will detect 4 CPUs (2 x Dual Core) as will the
bios. Is this only particular to Windows Server 64 as a Windows white paper
on x64 states that XP PRO x64 can only support 2 CPUs . Does XP PRO x64 deal
with multicore in a different way?
I would like to put together a 2 x Dual Core Opteron workstaion with XP PRO
x64 but it would be great if someone could clarify this bit of confusion for
me.

Many thanks.. Mark

M. Murcek 07-01-2005 11:58 AM

Re: Does XP PRO 64 support 2 x dual core processors?

Yes. 2 dual cores will look like 4 cpus. This got started when Intel
brought about hyperthreading, and MS said for licensing purposes they would
count sockets, not cores or apparent cores.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?= 07-01-2005 01:50 PM

Re: Does XP PRO 64 support 2 x dual core processors?

Thank you M.
Can I just clarify that by Yes (full stop) you mean XP x64 will suppot 2
dual cores.

Thomas G. Madsen 07-01-2005 02:10 PM

M. Murcek wrote:

> Yes. 2 dual cores will look like 4 cpus.

And 8 with HT enabled.

--
Regards
Madsen

Mike Brannigan [MSFT] 07-01-2005 02:47 PM

> Thank you M.
> Can I just clarify that by Yes (full stop) you mean XP x64 will suppot 2
> dual cores.

Yes Windows XP Professional x64 Edition supports 2 CPU SOCKETS - so either
single or dual cores with or without hyperthreading
We only count sockets
--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 07-01-2005 03:15 PM

Re: Does XP PRO 64 support 2 x dual core processors?

Here is a great article about it by Charlie Russel:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../27/56138.aspx
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?= 07-01-2005 03:55 PM

RE: Does XP PRO 64 support 2 x dual core processors?

Thank you all for your help.

Mark

Charlie Russel - MVP 07-01-2005 07:30 PM

Re: Does XP PRO 64 support 2 x dual core processors?

yes, full stop, it will. See our blog -- I cover this exact question, just as
I did on this very newsgroup last week.

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

Charlie Russel - MVP 07-02-2005 03:45 PM

Re: Does XP PRO 64 support 2 x dual core processors?

Well, no, not exactly. It will _look_ like 8, but it won't be effectively 8,
since HT is not at all the same as a separate core.

Thomas G. Madsen 07-02-2005 04:13 PM

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

> Well, no, not exactly. It will _look_ like 8, but it won't be
> effectively 8, since HT is not at all the same as a separate
> core.

True. What I meant is that it will _look_ like 8.

--
Regards
Madsen