Velocity Reviews

-   -   OEM 64-Bit Edition (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t488145-oem-64-bit-edition.html)

=?Utf-8?B?d2ViZmFjdG9y?= 06-28-2005 06:20 PM

OEM 64-Bit Edition

Can I change processor within OEM rules,I´m not that much in OEM rules but
have read them twice and it has to stay with the components is first
installed on includes
Motherboard,chipset,and cabinet thats equipped with the units serial number
the Operating system can be installed on eventually a new harddisc its that
I got one of the first 939 processors with dual memory support and now it´s
to little
and then the X2 Dual core arrrives soon hopefully (preordered) the shop
keeps extending waiting time,because i dont know if CPU goes under chipset
that´s why I ask,sorry the inconvinience and ignoranth.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-28-2005 06:31 PM

Re: OEM 64-Bit Edition

The license is assigned to motherboard and Chipset, to the entire PC when it
is distributed with.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Rick 06-28-2005 07:01 PM

Re: OEM 64-Bit Edition

You can change the CPU and you might, or you might not, have to
re-activate the OS. I have had mixed results in the past when changing
CPUs on a computer with Windows XP 32-bit. Sometimes it will tell me
the OS needs to be activated because of hardware change, and other times
it just boots and runs as if nothing happened.

You'll find out when you change the CPU.

M. Murcek 06-28-2005 07:22 PM

Re: OEM 64-Bit Edition

And what if the CPU *has* to be changed (they do die sometimes, ya know) I
can't see you getting turned down for a re-activate over a CPU change unless
you did it several times over. Might have to do it over the phone rather
than via internet.

Then again, just because it makes sense...

Rick 06-28-2005 07:39 PM

Re: OEM 64-Bit Edition

Most of the time my re-activations have been via the internet. I think
I have only had to call 2 or 3 time in the past few years. But, like I
said below, sometimes the system does not need re-activation.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-28-2005 07:55 PM

Re: OEM 64-Bit Edition

I think activation server is reset like every 120-days, not sure if its true
though.

=?Utf-8?B?RnJpdHo=?= 06-28-2005 09:25 PM

Re: OEM 64-Bit Edition

Yes I believe they will give you a couple of shots in case you screwed up or
something and then from what i understand you have to send in proof of your
authenticity and then they will re-issue you a new certificate and a new key
to start over again. Once again, thats why you should stick to a RETAIL
license, so you don't have to deal with that crap.
--
Fritz
Computer type person

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-28-2005 09:37 PM

Re: OEM 64-Bit Edition

OEM is not really a problem, you just have to go directly to the OEM for
support.