Velocity Reviews

-   -   Lose data? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t488140-lose-data.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Y29tcHV0ZXJ1bHo=?= 06-28-2005 07:11 AM

Lose data?

I have a RAID 0 array which i currently have partitioned and managed to
install the Windows x64 beta on a while ago, but I'm just wondering if when I
try to install the full Windows x64 will it try and erase the entire array
again? As when i installed the trial, it deleted all the partitions on there
and all my data was unrecoverable. Or is it possible to get it to reformat
JUST that one partition that the trial is on and install on that?? Backing up
300GB is not really an option, btw, as i don't have enough money for another
set of disks atm.
Thanks

Ian 06-28-2005 07:26 AM

Re: Lose data?

Yes - just boot from the x64 CD give it the drivers for your
RAID - Install on the partition that the trial edition is on and
you will get the option to format "only" that partition.

I have done single partition format on multi-partitioned drives
using the XP, Server2003 & x64 editions 500 times and have
never lost any data on any partitions - ever.
And there is no way that x64 tries to "erase an entire array"
unless you forgot to give it the drivers (F6) and only then because
it could not see the array and it's partitions.
You were not paying attention during the install. - F3 to quit anytime.

Ian 06-28-2005 07:29 AM

Re: Lose data?

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-28-2005 07:43 AM

Re: Lose data?

We're trying to find out exactly how the full install will work right now.
You don't necessarily have to back up 300GB, by the way. But you should
backup your important data files before ANY operating system installation or
upgrade. Absolutely, positively. Anything can happen, and having a backup of
the important stuff gives you the confidence to proceed.

--
Charlie.
http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

=?Utf-8?B?Y29tcHV0ZXJ1bHo=?= 06-28-2005 10:54 AM

Re: Lose data?

Thanks for the info, thats what i expected, but just wanted to checkcause
what actually hapenned last time, is that i did have the driver for my RAID
controller, it found the drive, it saw that I had a partition on it
(formatted in NTFS by the XP Pro 32 bit edition i have installed, but it was
blank, thought the actuall array had 3 partitions on it), but ONLY saw that
one partition. So i tried to install to that partition , already formatted.
It gave me an error saying the drive was not formatted in the correct type or
something very similar, so I thought, OK, i'll delete the partition and
reformat that 20GB that has already been set aside for it. So i delete a 20
GB partition, and when I am returned to the options for formatting the drive,
it offers me 400 GB!!! I was NOT happy, escaped out of the install and
restarted 32 bit windows, where i found the drives totally gone, and when i
tried a recovery program, it could not recover any of the data types that
were on there. So that is how x64 "lost" my data last time, n i just didn't
want a reccurence of that situation.

Peter Schade [IT-SE, CCNA] 07-01-2005 08:41 PM

Re: Lose data?

Boot Your PC and Press F6 than install Raid Drivers then new Installation
then F8 and run a REPAIR Installation.
That way will works without lost of Data and all Programms will runs after
Installation with all Drivers you installs before.

This way is tested and works absolutely fine.

Greetings
Peter