Velocity Reviews

-   -   x64 keyboard failure, please help (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t488021-x64-keyboard-failure-please-help.html)

gbleam Bleam 06-17-2005 11:35 PM

x64 keyboard failure, please help

I have a new installation with new hardware (yes it worked under 32-bit xp).
Every time I start the computer the keyboard does not work. In device
manager the keyboard driver show an error 10 and will not start. if I delete
it and have it find new hardware it works again until I restart the
computer.

I have tried many differing drivers with the same result and the keyboard
fails just before the login screen appears. It works if I restart in
safe-mode. I have re-installed the trial version and the regular versions
(clean installs and upgrades), and tried numerous keyboards to no avail.

Please help, this is past my understanding.

gordon

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-18-2005 12:05 AM

Re: x64 keyboard failure, please help

Maybe its some unknown defect with Keyboard or the port itself. Have you
tried with another keyboard to see if its a problem with the port or
keyboard? Is it PS/2 or USB Keyboard.

These kind of issues can occur due to earthing faults around the keyboard /
mouse sockets.It is important for the small flanges to touch the case and
not be
bent out of the way. It is rare for static or other issues to affect
keyboards, but
it happens.

If the k/b didn't work in the bios I would say that the PS2 interface fuse
was blown (10cent component, but if you aren't a whizz with a soldering iron
on tiny tiny contacts then its a big problem until you find someone that
is).

- Tim

You should contact the manufacturer of the computer
(or the motherboard manufacturer if you built it yourself).

- Charlie
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

gbleam Bleam 06-18-2005 12:10 AM

Re: x64 keyboard failure, please help

the kb is a PS/2 and I have not tried a USB one, but it most likely will
work. Great thought!!! Thanks. I will check the grounding, the thing is
the keyboard worked in safe mode and BIOS, just not when it boots fully.
Thanks

John Barnes 06-18-2005 12:27 AM

Re: x64 keyboard failure, please help

Just remember to keep your PS2 keyboard and mouse if you replace with USB.
As soon as you throw them away you will find some BIOS update program or
other program for testing from a floppy that won't support USB

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-18-2005 12:28 AM

Re: x64 keyboard failure, please help

Remember to report back.