Velocity Reviews

-   -   Antivirus software (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t488016-antivirus-software.html)

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBMeW5jaA==?= 06-17-2005 08:14 PM

Antivirus software

I have a new Athlon 64 system I put together myself with Windows Professional
x64 OS. Neither Symantec or Mcafee support the x64 platform which I found
out after I couldn't load my Norton Antivirus software. What antivirus
options do I have?

Jud Hendrix 06-17-2005 08:25 PM

Re: Antivirus software

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:14:08 -0700, "Pete Lynch"
<PeteLynch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Neither Symantec or Mcafee support the x64 platform which I found
>out after I couldn't load my Norton Antivirus software.

Symantec does upport, but you need version 10. A nice free alternative
(free as in: for personal use only) is Avast. You can also try the
64-bit beta from NOD32.

jud

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-17-2005 08:31 PM

Re: Antivirus software

Avast

The free one from Avast:
Update: ESET the company made famous for it's multi-award winning Anti-Virus
software NOD32 has advised WinBeta.Org that the beta of it's 64Bit
Anti-Virus product is now available for download.

NOD32 has risen to prominence over the last 7 years given that according to
Virus Bulletin it has not missed a single in-the-wild virus since its
release.

http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=3054&catid=1
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Torrey Lauer 06-17-2005 08:58 PM

Re: Antivirus software

I wouldn't wish Norton or McAfee on anyone. Try one of the free 64 bit AV
that are in beta right now. When available, I would highly recommend Trend
Micro PC-cillian.

--
Torrey Lauer
Modern Travel Services

Rainbow Sky Travel
rainbow sky travel DOT net

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-17-2005 09:30 PM

Re: Antivirus software

Symantec products are good on the 32 bit side based on my experiences.

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-17-2005 10:53 PM

Re: Antivirus software

We'll have to disagree, there. Too pervasive and invasive, IMHO.

--
Charlie.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-17-2005 11:32 PM

Re: Antivirus software

Actually, I meant the Coporate Editions of AntiVirus I mean, yes the retail
editions are bloated and slow!

Steve Thompson 06-18-2005 03:32 AM

Re: Antivirus software

Christian Hougardy 06-18-2005 05:01 AM

Re: Antivirus software

Steve Thompson <sthompson@njmailserver.com> wrote:

> Pete Lynch wrote:
>> I have a new Athlon 64 system I put together myself with Windows
>> Professional x64 OS. Neither Symantec or Mcafee support the x64
>> platform which I found out after I couldn't load my Norton Antivirus
>> software. What antivirus options do I have?

> WinAntiVirus 2005 is also an option. http://www.winantivirus.com/
>
> HTH,

Hi Steve, thanks for the link

--