Velocity Reviews

-   -   Win XP x64 180 trial to retail (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t488013-win-xp-x64-180-trial-to-retail.html)

Drew Boillot 06-17-2005 04:13 PM

Win XP x64 180 trial to retail

Does anyone know how easy it will be to convert from the 180 day trial to a
retail/oem copy?
Will it be as easy as "upgrading"?

TIA Andrew

NNBXX 06-17-2005 04:27 PM

Re: Win XP x64 180 trial to retail

Point 1 : this is a 120 day trial, NOT a 180 one.
Ponit 2 : if you want to upgrade, either you purchase a full OEM copy with a
qualifying piece of hardware, or you go TAP if your hardware/XP Pro 32 bit
license are eligible.

Drew Boillot 06-17-2005 04:34 PM

Re: Win XP x64 180 trial to retail

I ment 120 days not 180, small typo i did twice.. LOL

So it is possible to upgrade and keep all your settings then? that's my main
question.

NNBXX 06-17-2005 04:45 PM

Re: Win XP x64 180 trial to retail

No, unfortunately, you have to perform a clean install after formatting your
HDD. No upgrading process possible with x64 (so keeping your settings is
impossible).

Regards,

Jean-Baptiste

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-17-2005 04:52 PM

Re: Win XP x64 180 trial to retail

You "can" do an inplace upgrade from the trial to full version.

From Joseph Conway:
Ok, in the x64 worlds we have two words that have become commonplace in the
x86 world that just dont work any more. They are UNINSTALL and UPGRADE.
First, the only installation of x64 is a clean installation. This means,
formatted drive, new partition, and only it (x64) can live there. It can be
reinstalled over the top of itself (commonly called a repair installation or
inplace upgrade) but it cannot upgrade any x86 versions of the software.
Maybe you will see an upgrade path to Longhorn but thats a long way off and
I am not privy to that information.

If you cant upgrade, then guess what? You also cannot uninstall the OS.
The only supported method for getting the OS off of a machine after you have
installed it is to format that partition or drive and remove the associated
entries in the boot.ini file.

There are many technical reasons why the above happens, namely the fact that
the winnt32.exe is now as 64bit executable and it cant be run by a 32bit OS.

You can always have a dual boot configuration on your system, just make sure
that you install 32bit Windows first and x64 second (or last if more than 2
OS's).
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

NNBXX 06-17-2005 05:04 PM

Re: Win XP x64 180 trial to retail

You're right, Dré.

I meant upgrading from the 32 bit version is impossible. I just forgot that
Drew talked about the trial version.

Regards,

JB

de news:OT8L6z1cFHA.220@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-17-2005 05:26 PM

Re: Win XP x64 180 trial to retail

No problemo :-)

=?Utf-8?B?SW50ZWxfRmFu?= 06-17-2005 05:34 PM

Re: Win XP x64 180 trial to retail

Then why does my oder confirmation letter with my trial Product Key state
that it is a 180 day evaluation??

NNBXX 06-17-2005 05:41 PM

Re: Win XP x64 180 trial to retail

This is an error. Both the EULA and winver (run...) state a 120 day trial.

Regards,

Jean-Baptiste

John Barnes 06-17-2005 05:50 PM

Re: Win XP x64 180 trial to retail