Velocity Reviews

-   -   X64 Wont See my Seagate ST3120026AS (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487994-x64-wont-see-my-seagate-st3120026as.html)

=?Utf-8?B?VGFua0VuZ2luZQ==?= 06-16-2005 02:58 PM

X64 Wont See my Seagate ST3120026AS

Hi Guys, im not a newbie, im a engineer, I have a Chaintech ZNF 150 Mobo with
a seagate ST3120026AS sata hard drive, i load the Latest drivers from
Silicon for the x64 OS because thats what the Mobo has on it, a Silicon Raid
controller, so...... I load the drivers then boom, i get ready to install
windows and it said there is no hard drive detected,

i simply dont understand, i have XP loaded on my sata drive right now, im
just trying to upgrade.

I have a

AMD 64 3400
Chaintech ZNF 150
BFG 6800 Ultra
1gig Kingston Ram
Seagate 120 GIG HD

so what am i doing wrong? I know how to make the Sata work right now on XP
and i have the x64 drivers and i load them w/ f6 when x64 OS is starting to
install

why cant i still see the hard drive? thanks for the help guys

Christian Hougardy 06-16-2005 03:28 PM

Re: X64 Wont See my Seagate ST3120026AS

TankEngine <TankEngine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys, im not a newbie, im a engineer, I have a Chaintech ZNF 150
> Mobo with a seagate ST3120026AS sata hard drive, i load the Latest
> drivers from Silicon for the x64 OS because thats what the Mobo has
> on it, a Silicon Raid controller, so...... I load the drivers then
> boom, i get ready to install windows and it said there is no hard
> drive detected,
>
> i simply dont understand, i have XP loaded on my sata drive right
> now, im just trying to upgrade.
>
> I have a
>
> AMD 64 3400
> Chaintech ZNF 150
> BFG 6800 Ultra
> 1gig Kingston Ram
> Seagate 120 GIG HD
>
> so what am i doing wrong? I know how to make the Sata work right now
> on XP and i have the x64 drivers and i load them w/ f6 when x64 OS is
> starting to install
>
> why cant i still see the hard drive? thanks for the help guys

I don't know so far, what I kniow is that you'll never be able to upgrade
your OS.
It must be a clean install, there is not update or upgrade from XPx86 to x64
possible.
But it doesn't help you so far

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

Tom Ferguson 06-16-2005 06:58 PM

Re: X64 Wont See my Seagate ST3120026AS

Suggestion:
Do you have two such drives and want to configure them as a SATA RAID
array? If so, set the BIOS accordingly, choose RAID mode and load the F6
RAID drivers when
installing the OS.

If you are not going to use a RAID array, set the controller BIOS for
IDE rather than RAID and do not load F6 raid drivers when installing the
system.

Other matters:
Are you intending to install Windows XP 64 bit in a dual-boot
arrangement? That is possible. Create a separate partition on the drive
for it first.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

:

-Dan- 06-16-2005 11:06 PM

Re: X64 Wont See my Seagate ST3120026AS

My experience with x64 and SATA RAID went something similar to yours. I
have 2 SATAs and 0 PATAs. My BIOS boot sequence was

1. Floppy
2. CDROM
3. Hard Drive
4. Other
a. SATA 1
b. SATA 2
c. something else??

The system came with 32 bit XP installed on SATA 1, not authenticated and no
CD. I wanted RAID with x64, so the 32 bit version had to go. I hadn't paid
for it anyway, so no biggy there.

So I set about setting up RAID in the BIOS. I had to get the RAID driver
from nVidia. x64 wouldn't detect the array, tossing out an eror message to
the effect of "no hard drive found". Well, after several hair pulling
sessions, I decided to try to force x64 to detect the array. So I tried
disabling the boot sequence as follows:

1. CDROM
2. Disabled
3. Disabled
4. Other
a. SATA 1
b. SATA 2
c. something else??

This worked like a charm, just like it was supposed to. I don't really know
how to describe this other than x64 could not get past the "missing" hard
drive.

Hope this helps you, or someone else.

=?Utf-8?B?VGFua0VuZ2luZQ==?= 06-17-2005 02:40 PM

Re: X64 Wont See my Seagate ST3120026AS

Guys, I have 1 sata hard drive, now i have the x64 bit drivers but!!! they
are not being detected by X64 OS, and yes i am doing a clean install

Tom Ferguson 06-17-2005 08:02 PM

Re: X64 Wont See my Seagate ST3120026AS

OK. You do _not_ want to install RAID drivers when installing the
operating system. Either use a suitable tool and format the SATA drive
with at least one partition (primary) and optionally, one or more drives
in an Extended partition or install to a blank disk and let the install
routines create the disk partition. IMPT:Assure that the BIOS is set for
IDE rather than RAID on the SATA drive.

Tom
MSMBP

: "-Dan-" wrote:
:
: > My experience with x64 and SATA RAID went something similar to
yours. I
: > have 2 SATAs and 0 PATAs. My BIOS boot sequence was
: >
: > 1. Floppy
: > 2. CDROM
: > 3. Hard Drive
: > 4. Other
: > a. SATA 1
: > b. SATA 2
: > c. something else??
: >
[...]
: > |
: > | i simply dont understand, i have XP loaded on my sata drive right
now, im
: > | just trying to upgrade.
: > |
: > | I have a
: > |
: > | AMD 64 3400
: > | Chaintech ZNF 150
: > | BFG 6800 Ultra
: > | 1gig Kingston Ram
: > | Seagate 120 GIG HD
: > |
: > | so what am i doing wrong? I know how to make the Sata work right
now on XP
: > | and i have the x64 drivers and i load them w/ f6 when x64 OS is
starting
: > | install
: > |