Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is it worth it (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487983-is-it-worth-it.html)

=?Utf-8?B?ZGF2ZQ==?= 06-15-2005 04:29 PM

Is it worth it

Just curious if its worth upgrading to x64. I currently have a AMDx64
machine and after reading some web pages and browsing certain newgroups,
there still seems to be some issues with 64bit drivers. I know the 64bit
will slowly gain support but it seems like quite a few vendors are really
dragging there feet. Is it really that hard to add support for 64 or is it
just the clientel is just not there?

Jupiter Jones [MVP] 06-15-2005 04:48 PM

Re: Is it worth it

Dave;
Is it worth it?
First you must determine if you will benefit.
Is your hardware and software supported?

TAP can help cut the cost of the transition, but you lose the original
license and thus can not go back if desired:
https://microsoft.productorder.com/s...4/default.aspx

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-15-2005 05:01 PM

Re: Is it worth it

Those who find x64 worthy will bare the sacrifices, again, these are the
targetted audiences:

The big benefits of course will not be realized by the consumer or
enthusiast, but by persons in technical environments who use memory and
mathematically intensive applications such as databases. Windows XP
Professional x64 provides the highest levels of performance and scalability
for Digital Content Creation, Computer Mechanical Design & Analysis and for
Financial & Data Analysis.

So, Windows XP Professional x64 is definitely not an operating system for
the average Windows user who is doing basic stuff such as browsing the net
or sending e-mails and writing one page documents in Word. But it is likely
that by the end of this year, any PC purchased will be 64 bit enabled, which
does not necessarily mean you are ready for a 64 bit OS. But it does give
the user a sense of comfort knowing the capability is there ready to be
taken advantage of by a largely supported 64-bit OS.

The true beneficiaries are the technical ones in the technical environments
who require the massive amounts of power this platform provides. Within the
next 2 to 3 years 64 bit computing supported hardware and software should be
more available than it is today and users will better take advantage of it
with the appropriate applications written for the consumer market, so far
that is not available.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

John Barnes 06-15-2005 05:12 PM

Re: Is it worth it

Why don't you use the trial version and dual boot and you can tell for
yourself. Depends on what you do and what programs and hardware you have.

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBTdQ==?= 06-15-2005 05:36 PM

Re: Is it worth it

Actually,
There are a great many areas I believe you will see early 64-bit solutions
for the ordinary consumer, not just technophiles...

- Video rendering. There will be a period of transition as video vendors
re-write their products not to optimize to Intel's "Helper" x86 code (like
MMX) and take advantage of the incredibly powerful native 64-bit FPU. Once
vendors do that, we will see a big jump in realism.
- Alternative input. Hard to prognosticate whether is short, medium or long
term, but many voice recognition and handwriting recognition apps can be
expected to experience a large jump in capability.

There must be others, too. I believe like practically everything else we
have seen for the past several years these new technologies will show up in
gaming before being adapted to business applications.

As you note, people are already eager to investigate how 64-bit will affect
database development, although I don't see much written yet I also expect
that there will be good use for middle tier application development as well.

But, for anyone who is asking whether they should rush to install a 64-bit
OS... I'd also caution patience. See my previous post a few days ago "Is
there a clearing house for 64-bit XP issues?" 6/13/2005.

Tony

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-15-2005 08:24 PM

Re: Is it worth it

Nah, I don't think Pinnacle Studio and Windows Movie Maker really needs the
power that x64 offers, that can be satisfied by XP 32 bit already.

Rick Mogstad 06-15-2005 08:39 PM

Re: Is it worth it

Pinnacle makes higher end products too. I think their Liquid products
would definitely benefit from a 64bit revamp.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-15-2005 08:58 PM

Re: Is it worth it

Yeah, but the consumer products for home movies doesn't really justify the
power.

=?Utf-8?B?enhub3M=?= 06-15-2005 09:15 PM

Re: Is it worth it

didnt gates once say something about only needing 8 MB?

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBTdQ==?= 06-15-2005 11:21 PM

Re: Is it worth it

Video compilation is another "maybe" although you might not think it's a
short term opportunity. Grabbing and processing vastly larger chunks of data
at a time has to be useful. In fact, I would <very> much like to see a 64-bit
Windows Media SDK to support on the fly conversion/broadcasting which is one
of the most demanding compilation apps around because of its time sensitivity
requirements (who wants to see jerky video?).

Actually, when I was referring to rendering, I was talking about ordinary
game graphics, specifically 3D rendering. In general, polygons are drawn by
the processor and are filled in with textures by the videocard co-processor.
Although FPU calculations are highly desirable, the 32-bit x86 processor
generally has a dud of a FPU and does integer calculations much better. Intel
created special extensions like MMX to get around the processor drawbacks.

With 64-bit, the processor can draw those polygons and maybe even fill in
textures vastly faster which enables finer polygons and more realism. That's
why your game consoles are all 64-bit.

And now we potentially have the same capability in the PC.