Velocity Reviews

-   -   How much space (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487975-how-much-space.html)

Dennis 06-14-2005 09:40 PM

How much space

Can anyone please advise me as to how much space I would need to make a
Partition to install x64 on it, if I had a Dual Boot system.

Cheers

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-14-2005 09:57 PM

Re: How much space

The operating system requires 1.5GBs of space, but when you take into
account applications and file storage, I would recommend a minimum of 20 to
30Gbs of (free) space for Windows x64.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Wayne Wastier 06-14-2005 10:19 PM

Re: How much space

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <andred25@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The operating system requires 1.5GBs of space, but when you take into
> account applications and file storage, I would recommend a minimum of 20
> to 30Gbs of (free) space for Windows x64.
> --

Yup. That should be more than enough for a test system. However, if you are
using it for your primary OS, I would suggest at least 80Gb.

:)

Wayne

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?= 06-14-2005 10:34 PM

Re: How much space

> "Dennis" <ddls11646remove this@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Can anyone please advise me as to how much space I would need to make a
> > Partition to install x64 on it, if I had a Dual Boot system.
> >
> > Cheers

Also there might be other variables, so I'll list some :
1) memory.dmp space for full dump if you need debugging, which can be up to
1TB depending upon which x64 OS you are running.
2) 2GB for 4 service packs.
3) 1GB for stubborn programs and so called "common files" that insist to
stay on system partition (you can relocate Outlook Express mailbox if that's
what you use)
4) 1.5 times memory capacity for paging, preferably in different partition
or drive, so as not to exacerbate fragmentation.

Jupiter Jones [MVP] 06-14-2005 11:20 PM

Re: How much space

Probably the same as Windows XP Pro.
Generally a minimum of 5 - 6 GB.
That is only for the operating system, applicable Service Packs and updates.
If you are storing other data or installing programs, you need to expand
accordingly.

Others are suggesting much larger sizes, but your size should be determined
on your usage, partitioning etc.
You may need much more than they say or much less.
For example, it would be ridiculous to dedicate 20gb if nothing other than
Windows was on that drive/partition.
Many will install only windows on a partition/drive and use other
drives/partitions for data, programs etc, 6gb is sufficient.
Still others place everything on the same partition/drive, 120gb may be to
small for them.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-15-2005 12:04 AM

Re: How much space

I wouldn't say dedicating 20 GBs to Windows is rediculous, with the plethora
of patches we are getting, we will soon need 20GBs of free space or more to
support the patch tuedays. :-)

Wayne Wastier 06-15-2005 12:10 AM

Re: How much space

>I wouldn't say dedicating 20 GBs to Windows is rediculous, with the
>plethora of patches we are getting, we will soon need 20GBs of free space
>or more to support the patch tuedays. :-)
> --

I agree. Jupiter needs to update his knowledge of HD space requirements. :)

Jupiter Jones [MVP] 06-15-2005 12:59 AM

Re: How much space

Install windows again and only Windows.
Then install the Windows Updates and nothing more.
Save no data and install no programs since all of that is on another
partition.
How much space is used?

Wayne Wastier 06-15-2005 01:49 AM

Re: How much space

> Install windows again and only Windows.
> Then install the Windows Updates and nothing more.
> Save no data and install no programs since all of that is on another
> partition.
> How much space is used?
>
> --

Jupiter, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I just wanted to show you
that just the OS is barely adequate. I have to have Office and some games
installed also to make a current system.

Oh, and thank you for your efforts for the past few years as an MVP. Your
help has been very much appreciated. :)

Wayne

Jupiter Jones [MVP] 06-15-2005 02:05 AM

Re: How much space

Wayne
Nothing ruffled at all.
I was really trying to make the point that different situations will require
different amounts of space.
What is great for one is to small for another and also to large for yet
another.
The OP really needs to post back with specifics or go from the available
information and make an appropriate decision.