Velocity Reviews

-   -   Partition in x64 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487969-partition-in-x64.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Z3JlZ2gxNg==?= 06-14-2005 12:14 PM

Partition in x64

To partition or not to partition.... That is the question.
I have a dual boot system xp32 & xp64 each on a different hard drive (1 is
160GB the other is 80GB). Should I leave them as single hard drives or
partition them into smaller ones???

Thanks in advance for your comments

roman modic 06-14-2005 12:30 PM

Re: Partition in x64

Uff,

"gregh16" <gregh16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To partition or not to partition.... That is the question.
> I have a dual boot system xp32 & xp64 each on a different hard drive (1 is
> 160GB the other is 80GB). Should I leave them as single hard drives or
> partition them into smaller ones???
>
> Thanks in advance for your comments

this is difficult question. Let's start with:
http://partition.radified.com/

Cheers, ROman

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-14-2005 03:05 PM

Re: Partition in x64

I would have them partitioned up for Data and applications, for both XP
32bit and XP Pro x64. Saves you the trouble of backing up data and reinstall
some applications.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?= 06-14-2005 05:52 PM

RE: Partition in x64

"gregh16" wrote:

> To partition or not to partition.... That is the question.
> I have a dual boot system xp32 & xp64 each on a different hard drive (1 is
> 160GB the other is 80GB). Should I leave them as single hard drives or
> partition them into smaller ones???
>
> Thanks in advance for your comments

I'd keep x64 on one drive and IA32 on the other.
XP has not been so spectacular in terms of preserving boot partition & boot
sectors integrity, including NTFS, command console, etc..., so in case of
corruption, you can always boot from the second drive and vice-versa if you
dual-boot both disks.
As far as partitioning for each OS, I commonly see a first partition for OS
core , then the next one for paging, and then another one for application
data (if application gives a choice). If you are not skimming on memory, you
might do away with a very minimum page file under x64 ; also if you take full
size memory dumps, you need your first partitions to be able to contain a
dump as big as memory.
This means if you have a dual-Opteron machine with 32GB memory, the first
partition should have 32GB just for the full memory dump.