Velocity Reviews

-   -   On line documentation? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487958-on-line-documentation.html)

ITinerant 06-14-2005 01:46 AM

On line documentation?

Is there an extensive on-line documentation for Windows XP Pro x64?

Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-14-2005 05:53 AM

Re: On line documentation?

The documentation is essentially the same as for Windows XP Professional.
Since they have similar capabilities, they have similar documentation. And
yes, it's pretty extensive.

--
Charlie.

Joseph Conway [MSFT] 06-14-2005 11:04 AM

Re: On line documentation?

What kind of information are you looking for?

ITinerant 06-14-2005 01:07 PM

Re: On line documentation?

For example; Why is there a seperate Program Files (x86) directory?

Andrew Holdeman 06-14-2005 02:19 PM

Re: On line documentation?

I'm going to venture a guess & say that, that folder is there to help
separate out what's running 32bit on WOW64 & what's running native 64bit.

Then again, I could be completely wrong in that aspect :-S :-) one of the
MSFT guys would be able to fill the group in much better then I could.

Andrew

Christian Hougardy 06-14-2005 02:30 PM

Re: On line documentation?

Andrew Holdeman <andrew@nospam.com> wrote:
> I'm going to venture a guess & say that, that folder is there to help
> separate out what's running 32bit on WOW64 & what's running native
> 64bit.
>
> Then again, I could be completely wrong in that aspect :-S :-) one
> of the MSFT guys would be able to fill the group in much better then
> I could.
>
> Andrew

You're right ;)

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

ITinerant 06-14-2005 02:38 PM

Re: On line documentation?

Well, that's a start. That's the first I heard of WOW64!
I Googled it and found a wealth of information. Thanks

Joseph Conway [MSFT] 06-14-2005 07:22 PM

Re: On line documentation?

Yes, Program Files(x86) is there to store 32 bit applications because the
Program Files is now a native directory (meaning its 64bit only).

Also the WOW64 components effect the system files (now system32 and
syswow64) as well as the registry (we have two keys for HKLM\Software, one
for 64bit (software) and one for 32bit (wow6432node) so that you dont mess
up settings across applications based on their bit level)

I think thats a great question, what else would you like to know more about?

ITinerant 06-14-2005 07:56 PM

Re: On line documentation?

Why are 32bit referred to as x86 while 64bit is referred to as x64?
BTW Thanks for the earlier reply (below).

John [MSFT] 06-14-2005 09:07 PM

Re: On line documentation?

x86 comes from the Intel part numbering scheme for CPU chips:

80386 (sometimes called '386)
80486
Pentium thru Pentium IV (which nominally would have been 80586).

The "X" represents the general family of xxx86.

For x64, its b/c of the 64-bits. The x is from the x86 notations.