Velocity Reviews

-   -   X64 - Hitachi SATA (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487936-x64-hitachi-sata.html)

John Barnes 06-12-2005 04:23 PM

X64 - Hitachi SATA

Per suggestion of Charlie.

System
ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe.
Chipset Nforce4
Drives Connection Point Now
Current System
HDT722516DLA380 SATA MASTER - 3 Partition 1
x64 OEM not useable Partition 2 XP Pro
SAMSUNG SP1213C SATA MASTER - 1 Partition 1
x64 OEM Partition 2 XP Pro
SAMSUNG SP1614C SATA MASTER - 2 Partition 1
x64 beta Partition 2 XP Pro

Tried several times to install x64 with the current setup and no success
when boot to GUI - Partial install there but partition not recognized.
Finally tried to install on the current master 1 and had no problems.
Disconnected other drives and plugged the Hitachi drive to SATA Master 1 and
tried the install again. Same results.
Reconnected as above and created a Ghost Image of the successful install and
restored to the Hitachi partition. Tried both manual updating and windows
recovery console configuration of boot.ini. No difference.
Ntdetect and ntldr are same on both drives. Ntoskrnl is the same in both
x64 installations and all xp Pro are the same original xp pro versions Xp
beta is a different version

Current situation - Ghost image on Hitachi drive and on trying to boot to
x64 on Hitachi drive gets the error message of ntoskrnl missing - reinstall.
Xp pro boots on all drives and x64 (Samsung) and x64 beta boot with no
problems.

I would like to ideally have the Hitachi drive as the main drive - Newest,
SATA II 300GB (supported by MB but I know, no difference in performance
except has NCQ) and have 1 Samsung drive with the copies of X64 and XP Pro

I like to have the copies where I try out new software and don't have to
worry about my work environment, and also so I can immediately have a
working system if I have a drive crash. I would use the other Samsung for
periodic Ghost images of the main drives. The fourth SATA MASTER is for a
Plextor SATA DVD recorder.

Hope that is enough info (or too much, whatever) Thanks in advance for
suggestions on getting it to work ideally :-)

Dennis Pack 06-12-2005 04:42 PM

Re: X64 - Hitachi SATA

John:
It may be the SATA II drive not being recognized properly. Are the
other drives SATA or SATA II?

Ian 06-12-2005 04:51 PM

Re: X64 - Hitachi SATA

Is not clear at all as to what you want to accomplish...
and which controller are you using SI or Nvidia - and
this "the error message of ntoskrnl missing" is the result
of a "boot order" issue for your selected hard drive in the
bios - If all is installed as you say "it is setup"

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-12-2005 05:23 PM

Re: X64 - Hitachi SATA

OK, I'm betting the problem is the SATAII status of the Hitachi. The Mobo
claims to support, and I gather it does work in 32-bit mode, so that part is
OK. But perhaps the 64-bit driver isn't properly supporting it at this point?
That would certainly be possible. Now, one thing I'm not clear about with
this. If you have the Hitachi as a simple data disk, not a OS disk, is it
completely recognized from x64? If so, then it sounds like a minor issue with
the F6 drivers, and that is something that the folks at NVIDEA or ASUS are
going to have to resolve.

--
Charlie.

John Barnes 06-12-2005 06:15 PM

Re: X64 - Hitachi SATA

The other drives are SATA and I have suspected that it may have to do with
SATA II or NCQ and x64. The partition with XP Pro boots fine.

John Barnes 06-12-2005 06:23 PM

Re: X64 - Hitachi SATA

It is fully recognized as data from the working x64 install. I hope that it
is something that NVIDIA is working on since they have the SATA drivers
built in and there are no drivers to use at F6 (at this point). I saw one
other post with the same problem but like my prior posts there was never a
resolution. I will try to bug ASUS as I can't find any contact for the
Nforce chipsets on the NVIDIA site. Thanks.

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-12-2005 08:03 PM

Re: X64 - Hitachi SATA

So it's just an issue with the drive being recognized as a boot partition.
Hmmm. I would definitely go after ASUS on this one. You might also try
Hitachi. It's not that I think they have the solution, but that they have a
vested interest in making sure their drives work as they expect. And they are
very likely to have good contacts at NVIDIA.

The short term solution seems to be to design your booting partitions onto
smaller sizes, all located on the plain SATA drives, and use the Hitachi
drive as a data partition or two for all of them.

--
Charlie.

MHPNW STAFF 06-12-2005 09:33 PM

Re: X64 - Hitachi SATA

John ....
you have to unzip the Nvidia driver package , and then copy the Sata/Raid
drivers to a floppy disk.... then at F6, make sure that you load both: sata
driver, and Nvidia controller driver ........

I hope that helps

Dennis

=?Utf-8?B?SnVhbiBNb3RvY2s=?= 06-12-2005 09:57 PM

RE: X64 - Hitachi SATA

I have that same setup with both the SATA 1 and 2 versions. I installed the
64 bit version on the D drive no issues except it does not see the SATA 2
versions as such.
Also no support for SLI to my knowledge but ASUS just dropped out some new
64 Bit chipset drivers etc very recently which may fix some of those issues.
I took my 64 bit copy off as it was just not quite right without all the
features that the mobo has to offer.

Best regards,

Lee Nelson

Goody2shoe 06-12-2005 10:23 PM

Re: X64 - Hitachi SATA - for Hitachi SATA2 HD keep NCQ off

I am booting XP64 beta on my A8N-SLI Deluxe from a Hitachi SATA2 HD as a
stand alone drive on NVSATA1. I had to keep NCQ turned off (default) to keep
it working. I tried turning NCQ on, it would boot but I got errors during
use. I used Hitachi's utility to turn on 300 speed and the drive seems
pretty fast. I have two other SATA drives on NVSATA3 & 4 in a RAID0 array.
It took some time figuring out the BIOS settings to get this arrangement
setup.