Velocity Reviews

-   -   keyboard doesnt work (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487926-keyboard-doesnt-work.html)

=?Utf-8?B?am9uYXRoYW4=?= 06-11-2005 09:01 PM

keyboard doesnt work

i have installed xp 64 bit, and the first thing i see is the logon screen
where it wants me to type my administrator password. i press the keys on my
keyboard and nothing happens. there is nothing wrong with this keyboard i
use all the time it works fine with my laptop but i tried another keyboard,
both plug into the ps2 port and dont work. my keyboard works fine in the
bios. i cannot understand how i can have this problem or what to do about it.

Wayne Wastier 06-11-2005 09:19 PM

Re: keyboard doesnt work

"jonathan" <jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have installed xp 64 bit, and the first thing i see is the logon screen
> where it wants me to type my administrator password. i press the keys on
> my
> keyboard and nothing happens. there is nothing wrong with this keyboard i
> use all the time it works fine with my laptop but i tried another
> keyboard,
> both plug into the ps2 port and dont work. my keyboard works fine in the
> bios. i cannot understand how i can have this problem or what to do about
> it.

Jonathan, go into the BIOS and make sure that legacy USB keyboard support is
either AUTO or ON.

=?Utf-8?B?am9uYXRoYW4gZGF2aXM=?= 06-11-2005 09:43 PM

Re: keyboard doesnt work

my bios just said usb keyboard support, it was disabled, i enabled it, my
keyboard still doesnt work, it is not a usb keyboard

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-11-2005 09:52 PM

Re: keyboard doesnt work

Maybe its some unknown defect with Keyboard or the port itself. Have you
tried with another keyboard to see if its a problem with the port or
keyboard?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Rick 06-11-2005 10:22 PM

Re: keyboard doesnt work

What kind of plug is on the end of the cord from your keyboard, and
where do you plug it into on your computer?

If the plug is a little round plug, then it's probably a PS2 keyboard.

If it's a flat, rectangular plug, then it's probably USB.

=?Utf-8?B?am9uYXRoYW4gZGF2aXM=?= 06-11-2005 10:45 PM

Re: keyboard doesnt work

it is not the keyboard, as i said i have been using the keyboard for a long
time with my laptop, additionally the keyboard does work in the bios. i have
found a usb keyboard and it is working. the ps2 keyboard port still does
not. the ps2 mouse port does not appear to function either.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 06-11-2005 11:20 PM

Re: keyboard doesnt work

Well, in that case I would just get both a USB mouse and keyboard and
replace the PS/2 instead.

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-12-2005 12:24 AM

Re: keyboard doesnt work

From all your descriptions, I'd say the ps2 ports on your computer are bad or
disabled for some reason. You should contact the manufacturer of the computer
(or the motherboard manufacturer if you built it yourself). Meanwhile, use
the USB keyboard and mouse as you are.

--
Charlie.

John Barnes 06-12-2005 01:02 AM

Re: keyboard doesnt work

He has already said two times that the PS2 keyboard works in BIOS setup so
the motherboard is fine. Maybe some BIOS setting he's missing. Maybe he
needs to check his Device Manager in Windows for a clue. Maybe a conflict
of some sort. IRQ

Tim 06-12-2005 09:31 AM

Re: keyboard doesnt work

These kind of issues can occur due to earthing faults around the keyboard /
mouse sockets.
It is important for the small flanges to touch the case and not be bent out
of the way. It is rare for static or other issues to affect keyboards, but
it happens.

If the k/b didn't work in the bios I would say that the PS2 interface fuse
was blown (10cent component, but if you aren't a whizz with a soldering iron
on tiny tiny contacts then its a big problem until you find someone that
is).

- Tim