Velocity Reviews

-   -   x64 and SATA (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487850-x64-and-sata.html)

=?Utf-8?B?aTF6dWhnM24xdTU=?= 06-06-2005 09:50 PM

x64 and SATA

Does anyone have any idea when a version of Windows XP x64 will be released
that has SATA compatibility? I don't have any IDE drives, so this is a major
inconvienance for me.

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-06-2005 10:16 PM

Re: x64 and SATA

It's perfectly compatible right now. You just need drivers from your OEM.
That's not particularly remarkable, you need them for 32-bit XP right now for
many controllers. It's not hard to obtain the drivers, and while I agree it's
an annoyance to use F6 when you first install, that's the only time you need
to worry about it. Once it's installed, you're good.

--
Charlie.

Lynn McGuire 06-06-2005 10:19 PM

Re: x64 and SATA

> Does anyone have any idea when a version of Windows XP x64 will be released
> that has SATA compatibility? I don't have any IDE drives, so this is a major
> inconvienance for me.

It is compatible right now, you just need to hit F6 when loading Win XP 64
and load the 64 bit SATA drivers for your motherboard. Most of the 64 bit
motherboards do have Win64 SATA drivers for them already.

Lynn

David R. Norton MVP 06-06-2005 10:23 PM

Re: x64 and SATA

"i1zuhg3n1u5" <i1zuhg3n1u5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in:

> Does anyone have any idea when a version of Windows XP x64 will be
> released that has SATA compatibility? I don't have any IDE drives, so
> this is a major inconvienance for me.

Never I think. I believe you're seeing the one and only X64 release, next
will be Longhorn.

You're best bet might be to slipstream your SATA drivers into the X64 CD.

Just in case you need it, here's one how to:

http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com/READING/addraid.htm

Google will find many more, my apologies if you already knew how to do this.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<d_r_norton@yahoo.com>

Sam 06-06-2005 10:57 PM

Re: x64 and SATA

Its already there, no need for extra driver unless your using raid.
Just make sure computer bios sees the sata drive before you install.

Rick 06-06-2005 11:25 PM

Re: x64 and SATA

Probably when Hell freezes over. Of course, it might happen just before
Hell freezes over!

Mark Gillespie 06-06-2005 11:46 PM

Re: x64 and SATA

Charlie Russel - MVP got up from the bar and shouted: :
> It's perfectly compatible right now. You just need drivers from your OEM.
> That's not particularly remarkable, you need them for 32-bit XP right now for
> many controllers. It's not hard to obtain the drivers, and while I agree it's
> an annoyance to use F6 when you first install, that's the only time you need
> to worry about it. Once it's installed, you're good.

Assuming you have a 15 year old 1.44Mb floppy disk fitted, otherwise
your pretty much screwed when it comes to installing SATA drivers for XP64.

A very embarrassing undersight IMHO by Microsoft. You would think in
this day and age, setup could load drivers of a USB drive, but then it
XP X64 is running a hacked NT3.51 setup from 15 years ago...

Kevin Panzke 06-07-2005 01:07 AM

Re: x64 and SATA

Using F6 works just fine with my USB Floppy Disk Drive. I have a Dell 8400
Desktop (EM64T) with A06 BIOS running Windows XP X64 Edition.

John Barnes 06-07-2005 01:59 AM

Re: x64 and SATA

Totally depends on your chipset. NForce4 doesn't need them. As far as I
remember Nforce3 and Via do.

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-07-2005 05:39 AM

Re: x64 and SATA

Yup, we'd all like to see an alternative. Actually, there is one -- creating
a slipstream installation. But that's non-trivial and probably more work than
the $10-15 that a new floppy drive goes for. Yes, it's a pain. I haven't
bought a floppy drive with any of the last 3 or 4 computers I bought. But
broke down and bought one just to get around this (and similar problems on my
32-bit server, I might add, since it's running RAID.)

--
Charlie.