Velocity Reviews

-   -   16 Bit Application Support in WinXP x64 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487705-16-bit-application-support-in-winxp-x64.html)

=?Utf-8?B?U2F2YWdl?= 05-30-2005 08:41 AM

16 Bit Application Support in WinXP x64

Good Day all,

Does Windows XP 64 bit still support 16-bit applications ?

I don't wanna download a trial version, then find a DOS app and test : P. (
Yeah maybe I'm lazy , but that's why the internet is so popular)
--
________
Nic

Roy Coorne 05-30-2005 09:36 AM

Re: 16 Bit Application Support in WinXP x64

Savage wrote:

> ... maybe I'm lazy ...

Oh... really...

=?Utf-8?B?U2F2YWdl?= 05-30-2005 09:45 AM

Re: 16 Bit Application Support in WinXP x64

At least I admit I am lazy , but I did a brief search on the product
information pages and could find no info pertaining to 16-bit application
support.

A quick yes or no will do : ) ?
--
________
NIC

roman modic 05-30-2005 09:49 AM

Re: 16 Bit Application Support in WinXP x64

Hello,

"Savage" <Savage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> At least I admit I am lazy , but I did a brief search on the product
> information pages and could find no info pertaining to 16-bit application
> support.
>
> A quick yes or no will do : ) ?

Out of the box: no!

Yes, if you use Vmware, VirtualPC, DosBox or Bochs ...

Cheers, Roman

Mike Brannigan [MSFT] 05-30-2005 11:11 AM

Re: 16 Bit Application Support in WinXP x64

You cannot use Virtual PC on x64 Windows.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

Mike Brannigan [MSFT] 05-30-2005 11:11 AM

> Good Day all,
>
> Does Windows XP 64 bit still support 16-bit applications ?

No.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

R Sanders 05-30-2005 12:15 PM

Re: 16 Bit Application Support in WinXP x64

I am not sure MS's plan for Virtual PC, but you can use Microsoft Virtual
Server 2005 on a 64 bit platiform.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...n/sp1beta.mspx

Bob Sanders

Christian Hougardy 05-30-2005 12:19 PM

Re: 16 Bit Application Support in WinXP x64

> I am not sure MS's plan for Virtual PC, but you can use Microsoft
> Virtual Server 2005 on a 64 bit platiform.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...n/sp1beta.mspx
>
> Bob Sanders

Yes but not on x64, only 2k3 64bit

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

WM 05-30-2005 12:29 PM

Re: 16 Bit Application Support in WinXP x64

If there is an installation block, that's new for SP1 - as you could
install, but not get support for, running VS on XP 32-bit.

Charlie Russel - MVP 05-30-2005 02:53 PM

Re: 16 Bit Application Support in WinXP x64

No.

--
Charlie.