Velocity Reviews

-   -   Why isn't .NET Framework 2.0 not backwards compatible? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487483-why-isnt-net-framework-2-0-not-backwards-compatible.html)

Juan Jansen 05-20-2005 09:23 AM

Why isn't .NET Framework 2.0 not backwards compatible?

Why do apps still ask for .NET 1.1 when .NET 2.0 is installed?

Why isn't it backwards compatible?

Greetings

Juan Jansen

Mike Brannigan [MSFT] 05-20-2005 10:58 AM

Re: Why isn't .NET Framework 2.0 not backwards compatible?

"Juan Jansen" <winbeta@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why do apps still ask for .NET 1.1 when .NET 2.0 is installed?
>
> Why isn't it backwards compatible?
>
> Greetings
>
> Juan Jansen

It is possible those applications are suffering from some of the issues
covered at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframewo...t/default.aspx

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

Ryan Hoffman [Extended64.com] 05-20-2005 11:15 AM

Re: Why isn't .NET Framework 2.0 not backwards compatible?

The way the .NET Framework is made allows for multiple versions to run
side-by-side. When developers write applications for .NET, they target a
specific version of the .NET Framework. If your application targets the
..NET Framework 1.1, you'll need to install it ;-).

Luckily, the .NET Framework 1.1 (32-Bit) runs great in Windows x64. Your
best bet is to go ahead and install the .NET Framework 1.1 Redistributable,
here:

When the .NET Framework 2.0 is released, look for new apps to take advantage
of it ;-).

--
Ryan Hoffman
Extended64.com - http://www.extended64.com