Velocity Reviews

-   -   Order 64Bit Edition or not? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487463-order-64bit-edition-or-not.html)

=?Utf-8?B?S2luZCBvZiBhIG5ld2JpZQ==?= 05-18-2005 04:51 PM

Order 64Bit Edition or not?

Hi!

Im in the dark regarding 64bit processing tech. I just orderd a new cpu via
an offering from my workplace. The cpu uses the new intel processor with
support for 64bit.

I have read as much info i can find regarding 64bit and in my point of view
it seems to have more advantages then drawbacks.

My cpu use consists mainly of video and musik rending and mixing, and some
seroius gaming:) I have noticed the extreme cpu usage of heavy video rending
and 64mit seem to remedy this.

So my main question is should i order 64bit windows? Why im asking is that
im a bit of a coward and perhapes need a push in the right direction :) My
"cowardness" is related to my cpu usage. I know you cant answear compability
problems/questions cause of the huge amout of combos in hardware/software.
But can i take advantage of the 64bit for my purpose of video rending and
gaming or should i stick to xp?Like i said i would "catalog" myself as a high
end home user that dont use the cpu for work with ex cad models....

Im not a "pro" that can tweak systems exactly as a want and so on....i feel
more comfortable with more or less easy managable systems (not a system you
have to manually change alot) if you know what i mean.

this is the processor i orderd in my "package" together with 1,5 gig ram,
and radeon 850 graphic card.

Speed Cache size Hyper-Threading Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology Intel®
EM64TΦ System Bus Package

3.60 GHz 2 MB Yes Yes Yes 800 MHz

Pentium 4 processor 660Δ with HT Technology

Andre Da Costa 05-18-2005 05:04 PM

Re: Order 64Bit Edition or not?

You fit the bill perfectly for x64, heavy video editing, music rendering
those are two of the technical areas that Windows XP x64 was designed for,
plus serious gaming.

As for drawbacks, as for any new technology such as 64 bit computing there
will be some lag in support but this will eventually pass and very quick
too, it is kind off to bumpy start but I can gurantee by the end of this
year it should be welcome experience for those who have migrated because of
the performance in power and value.

Let me make sure, when you said:
Video Editing - I am not talking about - Windows Movie Maker
Music Rendering - I am not talking about - Burning CD's
Serious Gaming - Solitaire or PinBall does not apply here.
--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Kind of a newbie" <Kind of a newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:20C77817-CBCA-482B-A250-E1E6EDB3CA29@microsoft.com...

R. B. 05-18-2005 05:21 PM

Re: Order 64Bit Edition or not?

If you're not sure yet, I would recommend spending the $6 and order a
trial CD to try it out first. :)

Andre Da Costa 05-18-2005 05:33 PM

Re: Order 64Bit Edition or not?

I forgot about that:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/ 64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

Thomas Steffen 05-18-2005 06:45 PM

Kind of a newbie wrote:

> My cpu use consists mainly of video and musik rending and mixing, and some
> seroius gaming:) I have noticed the extreme cpu usage of heavy video rending
> and 64mit seem to remedy this.

That depends mostly on the software you use. Do you have any native
64bit applications available, or do you expect to get them soon? I
couldn't find any 64bit application that I would use (not even a working
firefox), so I went back to regular XP after the trial.

> Im not a "pro" that can tweak systems exactly as a want and so on....i feel
> more comfortable with more or less easy managable systems (not a system you
> have to manually change alot) if you know what i mean.

That is a very strong point against x64. Just read about the problems
here: there are a lot of issues that are tricky even for a seasoned
"pro". And for some hardware categories like consumer printers, webcams,
modems etc, there are just no drivers available yet.

> this is the processor i orderd in my "package" together with 1,5 gig ram,
> and radeon 850 graphic card.

Now this is only a rumour, but I heard that the P4 does not get the same
amount of a performance boost by running 64bit applications as the
Athlon64. The difference is not big, but then again the "boost" is only
in the order of 10-20% to start with for most apps.

All considered I would say: give it a try, but if you don't see any
tangible benefit, than go with the tried an trusted XP. If, on the other
hand, you can get x64 preinstalled, take that offer.

Thomas

Monster 05-18-2005 08:50 PM

Re: Order 64Bit Edition or not?

Features not supported in x64
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...a_fea_tfiu.asp

some of which include

Digital Media
The following digital media features are not included with Windows XP 64-Bit
Edition:

a.. Digital video disc (DVD) video playback
b.. CD Recording
c.. Kodak Imaging Accessory
d.. Windows MediaT Player
e.. A subset of Windows MediaT Technologies
a.. DirectMusic
b.. Microsoft TV Technologies for Windows
c.. Video mixing renderer (VMR)
f.. NetMeeting
g.. IEEE 1394 audio
h.. Fax

you might want to make sure the applications you will be using will work
properly on x64 first I guess

Andre Da Costa 05-18-2005 10:31 PM

Re: Order 64Bit Edition or not?

Where did you get that from Monster, all of those features are in XP Pro
x64.

Dennis Pack 05-19-2005 12:27 AM

Re: Order 64Bit Edition or not?

It looks like IA64 support not x64.

Christophe Lauer [MS] 05-19-2005 05:55 AM

Monster wrote:
> Features not supported in x64
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...a_fea_tfiu.asp

Wrong. This document applies to "Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" which is the
Itanium version now discontinued.

The document that presents the different behaviours between Windows XP Pro
SP2 32-Bit and Windows XP Pro x64 Edition is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...n&Hash=QR6DBM4

Regards,

--
Christophe Lauer - Relations Techniques Editeurs de Logiciels
Division Dveloppeurs et Plateforme d'Entreprise - Microsoft France

Mike Brannigan [MSFT] 05-19-2005 08:26 AM

Re: Order 64Bit Edition or not?

"Monster" <monster.this@monster.that> wrote in message
> Features not supported in x64
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...a_fea_tfiu.asp
>
> some of which include

That is not a relevant article - it is for Windows XP 64-Bit Edition; that
is the now no longer produced Itanium (IA-64) product - NOT the Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition

--

Regards,

Mike