Velocity Reviews

-   -   Question regarding 16-bit and service pack (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487442-question-regarding-16-bit-and-service-pack.html)

=?Utf-8?B?VG9yYmVuIEFuZGVyc2Vu?= 05-17-2005 05:26 PM

Question regarding 16-bit and service pack

Can XP x64 run 16-bit applications too? I haven't been able to find any
information regarding this.

And does the XP x64 SP1 equal the 32-bit XP SP2? Or do we still have to wait
for SP2 to be released for XP x64 too?

And has anyone had success using Norton AntiVirus 2005 under XP x64?

Hope anyone can clear up some of these questions. Thanks in advance.

Andre Da Costa 05-17-2005 05:53 PM

Re: Question regarding 16-bit and service pack

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and x64-based versions of Windows Server
2003 operating systems do not support most 16-bit applications.

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and x64-based versions of Windows Server
2003 operating systems do not support 32-bit device drivers. Applications
that depend on 32-bit device drivers will not function correctly and might
cause an error during an installation or operation. Most 32-bit antivirus
programs are affected and should not be installed on computers that are
running these operating systems.

The Service Pack 1 included with XP Pro x64 is built off the Windows Server
2003 SP1 code base (3790), so they share the same security features such as
the new and improved Windows Firewall.

Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not run on x64, but the recently released
Symantec AntiVirus 10 does.

From bigbruva:
Try this page for a list of AV software that works on 64bit Windows:

http://wiki.planetamd64.com/index.ph...virus_software

Just note that they do not differentiate between WinXP and WinServer 2003 it
is just 64 bit compatibility they are listing

--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Torben Andersen" <Torben Andersen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E4BBBB1C-0626-4505-9E71-75DBC52AABD1@microsoft.com...

roman modic 05-18-2005 10:18 AM

Re: Question regarding 16-bit and service pack

Hello.

"Torben Andersen" <Torben Andersen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E4BBBB1C-0626-4505-9E71-75DBC52AABD1@microsoft.com...
> Can XP x64 run 16-bit applications too? I haven't been able to find any
> information regarding this.

No. But you can use free DosBox emulation.
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

You will find latest Windows builds here:
http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/dosbox.htm

Another option would be commercial VMware 5.0:
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/do...notes_ws5.html

Third possibility could be Bochs (haven't tried it yet):
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

Best regards,
Roman

Joseph Conway [MSFT] 05-18-2005 11:15 AM

Re: Question regarding 16-bit and service pack

Andre's answer is very complete.

No on 16bit, no on SP2 (until it release for Windows 2003), and yes there
are AV's out there that run, Symantec is working on one now.

Michael Gould 05-18-2005 08:49 PM

Torben Andersen wrote:
> Can XP x64 run 16-bit applications too? I haven't been able to find any
> information regarding this.
>
> And does the XP x64 SP1 equal the 32-bit XP SP2? Or do we still have to wait
> for SP2 to be released for XP x64 too?
>
> And has anyone had success using Norton AntiVirus 2005 under XP x64?
>
> Hope anyone can clear up some of these questions. Thanks in advance.

Torben,

Windows XP 64 does not support any 16 bit applications. You also
will not be able to run Norton Anti-Virus without getting the
corporate edition for the time being. Not all 32 bit programs
will run under XP 64 Professional. If a program uses a low level
driver to access the hardware, it will need a 64 bit driver.
That being said, you could run VMWare 5.0 for those 32 bit
programs because you could then run the regular XP 32 bit version
in a virtual session.

Regards,

Michael Gould

Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\) 05-19-2005 04:56 AM

Michael Gould <magould@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Windows XP 64 does not support any 16 bit applications. You also
> will not be able to run Norton Anti-Virus without getting the
> corporate edition for the time being. Not all 32 bit programs
> will run under XP 64 Professional. If a program uses a low level
> driver to access the hardware, it will need a 64 bit driver.
> That being said, you could run VMWare 5.0 for those 32 bit
> programs because you could then run the regular XP 32 bit version
> in a virtual session.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael Gould

Just remember that you need a valid licence to install XP in VMWare.

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

Michael Gould 05-19-2005 11:52 AM

Re: Question regarding 16-bit and service pack

Christian,

Isn't that sort of implied for all prodcts? <G>

Regards

Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\) 05-19-2005 02:34 PM

Re: Question regarding 16-bit and service pack

Michael Gould <magould@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Christian,
>
> Isn't that sort of implied for all prodcts? <G>
>
> Regards

Hi Michael,

Yes, it is indeed. But the question of the need of a licence for OS runing
on a virtual machine comes back regularly on the newsgroups :)
So, just in case ....

Cheers