Velocity Reviews

-   -   Translation or MUI planned or what ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487435-translation-or-mui-planned-or-what.html)

Coercitas 05-17-2005 12:10 PM

Translation or MUI planned or what ?

Hello all,

As many of us, I enjoy the new x64 model, using XP or 2003 but am quite
disappointed there are only 2 languages (plus German as a MUI for XP)
existing right now...

Can someone tell me where I can find information about release date for
other languages ?

PS : really surprised there are releases for German and Japanese when you
consider there are much more people speaking French or Spanish around the
world...can someone explain that ? I prefer not even deal with Chinese...

Regards

Andre Da Costa 05-17-2005 03:53 PM

Re: Translation or MUI planned or what ?

Its in here:
This FAQ will also be published on the Technology Advancement Program site:
https://microsoft.productorder.com/s...4/default.aspx

I know this is lengthy but it should answer some of your questions:

Q: What languages are available?

A: Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition is available in English and Japanese,
with Multilingual Interface Packs (MUIs) available in the languages listed
below. As the product MUI Packs release during Q2 2005, they will be posted
the Technology Advancement Program website for download. The following
languages will have MUI Packs available for download:

a.. German
b.. French
c.. Spanish
d.. Italian
e.. Korean
f.. Chinese Simplified
g.. Chinese Traditional
h.. Japanese

Q: What is a Multilingual User Interface?

A: A Multilingual User Interface (MUI) runs on top of the English version of
Windows and provides a translated user interface for the customer. With the
exception of a few minor differences, localized versions of Windows are the
same as the MUI version on English Windows Server 2003 from a feature and
architectural point of view,

Q: Where will the MUI packs be located for download?

A: MUI packs will be available in early May by download from the client and
server pages.

Client: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

Server: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...4/default.mspx

--
-Joe Swart [MSFT]

Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions. Please use these
newsgroups.
--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

Coercitas 05-17-2005 05:30 PM

Re: Translation or MUI planned or what ?

Hello Andre and thanx for your polite answer (I say "polite" because I
realise my own post wasn't that kind).

Regards

"Andre Da Costa" <andred25@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
eFSPgivWFHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Its in here:
> This FAQ will also be published on the Technology Advancement Program

site:
> https://microsoft.productorder.com/s...4/default.aspx
>
> I know this is lengthy but it should answer some of your questions:
>

> Q: What languages are available?
>
> A: Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition is available in English and Japanese,
> with Multilingual Interface Packs (MUIs) available in the languages listed
> below. As the product MUI Packs release during Q2 2005, they will be

posted
> the Technology Advancement Program website for download. The following
> languages will have MUI Packs available for download:
>

> a.. German
> b.. French
> c.. Spanish
> d.. Italian
> e.. Korean
> f.. Chinese Simplified
> g.. Chinese Traditional
> h.. Japanese
>

> Q: What is a Multilingual User Interface?
>
> A: A Multilingual User Interface (MUI) runs on top of the English version

of
> Windows and provides a translated user interface for the customer. With

the
> exception of a few minor differences, localized versions of Windows are

the
> same as the MUI version on English Windows Server 2003 from a feature and
> architectural point of view,
>

> Q: Where will the MUI packs be located for download?
>
> A: MUI packs will be available in early May by download from the client

and
> server pages.
>
> Client: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx
>
> Server: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...4/default.mspx
>

> --
> -Joe Swart [MSFT]

rights.

Andre Da Costa 05-17-2005 07:00 PM

Re: Translation or MUI planned or what ?

I didn't detect any impoliteness?

Christophe Lauer [MS] 05-19-2005 05:13 AM

Re: Translation or MUI planned or what ?

Hi,

Coercitas wrote:
> PS : really surprised there are releases for German and Japanese when
> you consider there are much more people speaking French or Spanish
> around the world...can someone explain that ? I prefer not even deal
> with Chinese...

German and Japanese are generally the first two non-English languages
available for a product. Why those two? This is for "testing" purposes.
German words and labels are generally longer and it helps detecting if all
UI elements have enough room for all localized versions. Japanese uses
another character encoding.

That's why...

--
Christophe Lauer - Relations Techniques Editeurs de Logiciels
Division Développeurs et Plateforme d'Entreprise - Microsoft France

Coercitas 05-19-2005 06:51 AM

Re: Translation or MUI planned or what ?

Thanx for this reply, it fits with what I was assuming but I still think
that 2-3 months are much too long for a "translation".

MSDN Website doesn't really provide enought informations about datelines...

message de news: OSCE#FDXFHA.3584@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

Christophe Lauer [MS] 05-19-2005 10:22 AM

Coercitas wrote:
> Thanx for this reply, it fits with what I was assuming but I still
> think that 2-3 months are much too long for a "translation".

It's not only about translation. Once the translationa are done, the
products will have to go through intensite quality testing, which obviously
takes time given the number of different languages.

> MSDN Website doesn't really provide enought informations about
> datelines...

The nice thing about MUIs is that you can start deploy Windows x64 English
today, and later apply the MUI for your prefered language.

Regards,

NNBXX 05-19-2005 10:34 AM

Re: Translation or MUI planned or what ?

Like French language, for example ;)

Regards,

Jean-Baptiste Faure

message de news: %23GUsqyFXFHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Christophe Lauer [MS] 05-19-2005 10:47 AM

NNBXX wrote:
> Like French language, for example ;)

Correct ;)

--
Christophe Lauer - Relations Techniques Editeurs de Logiciels
Division Développeurs et Plateforme d'Entreprise - Microsoft France
http://blogs.microsoft.fr/clauer/
rights.

Coercitas 05-19-2005 11:36 AM

Re: Translation or MUI planned or what ?

Not really, due to links in your START menu.

There are many incorrect behaviours when you don't really use the same
language on servers than on clients.

For my own point of view, everything should be in english (don't understand
I think it is legit, I only think we have to chose a simple language and
english is the simplest I know, there is no flame nor anything in this
sentence, just something most people realised at least once when learning a
new language). Unfortunately, many people have a real problem with foreign
languages, so...

I'm not wiling to start a debate (nor flame) but I don't think it is fair to
throw English (and German / Japanese in this case) 6 months before other
languages...especially when you know those languages are supported in 32
bits and Itanium versions of the exact same OS...6 months is much too long
for a company like Microsoft.

Linux is much faster and made of volunteers for example...an example
Microsoft should learn to consider and follow.

message de news: ugeiwAGXFHA.1468@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...