Velocity Reviews

-   -   NT Question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t48738-nt-question.html)

kat 02-26-2004 11:20 PM

NT Question

At the stake of looking like an idiot *grins* I have a question- We have
a windows NT server that we have shared drives on, which is used
frequently. The same server also has a script I run, which basically
just connects with dial up to an offsite location, and downloads files
that we need daily. Medcal thing (psht, doctors).

The thing I find curious is that when the dialer connects, everything
else DISconnects. Users are cut from the drive, my vnc closes, and
everything disconnects. Our "Senior Network Guru" suggested that maybe
it can't connect to LAN and dial up at the same time. Any thoughts??

We'll be moving to different servers in 2-3 months, so not a HUGE issue,
but I'd like to know WHY. It doesn't seemt o be a resource issue
(CPU/Memory are at acceptable levels).

Anyways, if anyone has thoughts, I'd appreciate it.
--
Kat MCNGP Wanna be

Roberto>madeinJamaica 02-27-2004 12:47 AM

Re: NT Question

I think that the remote access server you dialed-up to assigned your
computer a new/different ip address, (becaused it joined a new network) that
would explain vnc and drive connection loss because the machine became a
different object.
Troubleshoot: is the ip address for the computer the same before connecting
and after?
run > cmd > ipconfig. before and after & compare.
well thats what i think.

Marko 02-28-2004 03:41 AM

Re: NT Question

The answer referring to new IP is likely to be close to
being correct.

I have a number of servers that are similar in
configuration, and when you dial the remote, other traffic
is lost.

It is fixed by changing the binding order for TCP/IP
requests so that network cards appear first and this dial
up connection is last. Also, whoever you are dialling up
is configuring you to use their connection as a default
gateway. You can turn this feature off in the dial up
properties.