Velocity Reviews

-   -   FAQ for the XP x64 Technology Advancement Program (the Trade-in program) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487304-faq-for-the-xp-x64-technology-advancement-program-the-trade-in-program.html)

Joe Swart [MSFT] 05-10-2005 08:14 PM

FAQ for the XP x64 Technology Advancement Program (the Trade-in program)

This FAQ will also be published on the Technology Advancement Program site:
https://microsoft.productorder.com/c...4/default.aspx

I know this is lengthy but it should answer some of your questions:

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Technology Advancement Program Frequently Asked Questions

General:

Q: What is the Windows x64 Editions Technology Advancement Program?

A) The Technology Advancement Program allows customers who purchased a 32-bit version of Windows with x64 hardware to exchange it for the corresponding x64 version. The Technology Advancement Program will be available from April 25 to July 30, while Volume Licensing customers are free to exchange their 32-bit version of Windows for the x64 version at any time, using their current volume license agreements.

Q. What are the qualified purchase dates for participating in the Technology Advancement Program? When does it end?

A. Customers must have purchased or built their x64-based PCs between March 31, 2003 and June 30, 2005. The program ends on July 31, 2005.

Q. In order to receive the x64 upgrade through the Technology Advancement Program, do customers have to work through systems builders or OEMs? Do customers have to purchase new hardware?

A. Participating OEMs will have their own fulfillment sites for this program and customers should check their web sites to determine if the exchange is supported. Customers who purchased 32-bit Windows and x64 hardware from a system builder or built their own PC should visit Microsoft.com/x64 and follow links to the Technology Advancement Program. Volume Licensing customers are permitted to use their media kits to exchange 32-bit Windows for the x64 version.

Q: What do participants in the Windows x64 Editions Technology Advancement Program receive? Will a download be available?

A: Customers participating in the Technology Advancement program will receive a CD with a full installation of the software ordered. Since the software ordered is a full installation of the operating system, the software will not be posted for download.

Q: What will my order contain?

A: When your order arrives, you will receive a DVD case and CD with a liner that identifies the software as part of the Technology Advancement Program (e.g., "Microsoft XP Professional x64 Edition).

Q: What languages are available?

A: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is available in English and Japanese, with Multilingual Interface Packs (MUIs) available in the languages listed below. As the product MUI Packs release during Q2 2005, they will be posted the Technology Advancement Program website for download. The following languages will have MUI Packs available for download:

a.. German
b.. French
c.. Spanish
d.. Italian
e.. Korean
f.. Chinese Simplified
g.. Chinese Traditional
h.. Japanese
i.. Swedish

Q: What is a Multilingual User Interface?

A: A Multilingual User Interface (MUI) runs on top of the English version of Windows and provides a translated user interface for the customer. With the exception of a few minor differences, localized versions of Windows are the same as the MUI version on English Windows XP from a feature and architectural point of view,

Q: Where will the MUI packs be located for download?

A: MUI packs will be available in early May by download from the client and server pages.

Client: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

Server: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...4/default.mspx

Q: What should I consider before moving to 64-bit?

Before you make the decision to move to 64-bit, we recommend taking the following steps:

a.. Read the information on this Web site about Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. Unless you are pushing the boundaries of the 32-bit architecture, you will probably find that a 32-bit operating system is still the best option.

a.. Investigate whether or not 64-bit device drivers are available for the components in your PC and the peripherals that you use (scanners, cameras, and so on). Since your 32-bit drivers will not work on this version of Windows, it is important that you make sure your devices are supported. You can find many of these supported devices on Windows Marketplace or by checking directly with your hardware manufacturer.

a.. Back up your data and settings. Windows XP Professional x64 Edition requires a "clean installation," meaning the contents of your hard drive will be erased during the installation.

a.. Try the Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Trial Software. The Trial Software program allows you to evaluate the operating system for 180 days. This is a great way to determine whether or not it is compatible with your current system and devices.

Q: Where do I go to find out if my printer and other devices will work in Windows x64?

A: Contact the hardware or software vendor to determine if printers and other devices have 64-bit drivers.

Q: I've contacted my OEM and they have no knowledge of the program, what can I do?

A: First, you should check your OEM's Web site to see if they support the program for your particular PC. If your OEM supports the program, they will have a "custom" version of the exchange program which will provide you with the appropriate drivers and software for your computer.

Q: I've contacted my System Builder and they have no knowledge of the program, what can I do?

A: Microsoft is contracting with an Authorized Replicator to hosting the exchange site on behalf of System Builders, so the System Builder may, or may not, be aware of the Technology Advancement Program.

Q: How do I submit multiple COA serial numbers or Product IDs as items in my order?

A: Unfortunately, multiple items currently need to be submitted as separate orders.

Licensing

Q: If I have a Volume License or a subscription to MSDN, should I use this program?

A. Customers with active Volume License Agreements and MSDN subscriptions already have access to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition under their existing plan.

Q: If I have Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition or Windows XP Media Center Edition, am I eligible for this program?

A: No, the Windows x64 Editions Technology Advancement Program only allows exchanges from one like product to another. Customers with versions of the product other than Windows XP Professional can either upgrade to Windows XP Professional and then make the exchange or purchase the Windows XP Professional x64 Edition CD from a System Builder, Distributor, or pre-installed on a new PC.

Q: If I submit an order for a Windows XP Professional x64 Edition can I return my 32-bit XP Professional Edition?

A: You will not be able to return your 32-bit license of Windows XP Professional. If you are uncertain on making the exchange, we recommend you try the software first by using the Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Trial Software Program. Please see http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...ion/trial.mspx for details.

Order Process

Q: Where is the COA serial number located?

A: The Certificate of Authenticity can be found on a sticker that is generally located on the back or bottom of a PC. The sticker contains two different sets of numbers - the first is a 25 character product key and the second is the COA serial number. The COA serial number is what is required for this program. It generally appears under a bar code which is located beneath the product key, and begins with "000".

Q: I don't have, or can't find, the COA what else can I do?

A: You can enter the Product ID if a COA is not available. To find the Product ID in Windows XP Professional, click Start, click My Computer, and then click View system information from the left side of the window. In the System Properties dialog box that appears, your Product ID, or "PID," will be the 20-digit number located under Registered to.

Q: I received an "Invalid COA" message and cannot submit my order, what can I do?

A: First, please ensure that you are entering the correct value into the COA serial number field. The COA serial number is located on a sticker that is generally attached to the back or undercarriage of your computer. The COA serial number is located under the 25 character product key, and begins with "000".

If you follow the above instructions and still receive an error, please enter the Product ID instead. To find the Product ID in Windows XP Professional, click Start, click My Computer, and then click View system information from the left side of the window. In the System Properties dialog box that appears, your Product ID, or "PID," will be the 20-digit number located under Registered to.

Q: I entered a COA and Product ID and neither is valid, what else can I do?

A: Verify the software you want to exchange is included in the Technology Advancement Software. If the software you have to exchange is included then verify the software was acquired between March 31, 2003 and June 30, 2005.

Q: Can I order my Technology Advancement Software from this site if the Product ID contains the letters "OEM"?

A: Yes you may, however, Microsoft recommends that you visit your PC manufacturer's web site to determine if they are supporting the program first. If your OEM supports the program, they will have a "custom" version of the exchange program which will provide you with the appropriate drivers and software for your computer.

Q: After entering my COA, I received a "DupeCOA" message. What should I do?

A: Please send an email to 64bitupgrade@productorder.com and specify the error message received and the COA that you entered.

Q: Do I need to specify the 25 digit product key in the order process?

A: No, the 25 digit product key is not used in the Technology Advancement Program.

Q: How do I check on my order status?

A: You will receive an order confirmation email once soon after your order is placed and soon after your order is shipped. If you have any order, shipping, or billing-related questions please email ms64bitupgrade@productorder.com.

Q: When will I receive my Technology Advancement Software after ordering?

A: Due to large demand, it will take about 4-6 weeks after ordering to receive your shipment.

Payment

Q: Who can I contact if I have questions about my order, the shipping of my order, or payment?

A: For order, shipping, and billing details, you may visit the order website. For inquires on any of these items, please email 64bitupgrade@productorder.com. If you've made a payment and have questions about the charges, please call the number that appears below the charge description on your credit card statement.

Q: What payment methods can I use to pay for shipping, handling, and any customs duty charges?

A: The payment methods available to pay for shipping, handling, and any custom duty charges are: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.

Setup/Installation:

Q: What setup and installation considerations should I have when installing Windows x64 Edition?

A: The Windows XP Professional x64 Edition installation process is similar to the installation process for the 32-bit Windows operating system. The x64 installation still copies the needed files to temporary folders, restarts the computer into graphical user interface (GUI) mode, performs Plug and Play (PnP) detection and installation, and then finishes the set up process. However, some GUI mode graphics have been updated to profile new features in x64. To the end user, the installation procedure appears nearly the same as a 32-bit Windows installation. For details, please see knowledge base article 896334.

--
-Joe Swart [MSFT]

Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions. Please use these newsgroups.

NNBXX 05-10-2005 08:19 PM

Re: FAQ for the XP x64 Technology Advancement Program (the Trade-in program)

Great ! There wil lbe a French MUI Pack for download !
"Joe Swart [MSFT]" <joeswart@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23mkcQzZVFHA.2572@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
[...]

A: Customers participating in the Technology Advancement program will receive a CD with a full installation of the software ordered. Since the software ordered is a full installation of the operating system, the software will not be posted for download.

Q: What will my order contain?

A: When your order arrives, you will receive a DVD case and CD with a liner that identifies the software as part of the Technology Advancement Program (e.g., "Microsoft XP Professional x64 Edition).

Q: What languages are available?

A: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is available in English and Japanese, with Multilingual Interface Packs (MUIs) available in the languages listed below. As the product MUI Packs release during Q2 2005, they will be posted the Technology Advancement Program website for download. The following languages will have MUI Packs available for download:

a.. German
b.. French
c.. Spanish
d.. Italian
e.. Korean
f.. Chinese Simplified
g.. Chinese Traditional
h.. Japanese
i.. Swedish

Q: What is a Multilingual User Interface?

A: A Multilingual User Interface (MUI) runs on top of the English version of Windows and provides a translated user interface for the customer. With the exception of a few minor differences, localized versions of Windows are the same as the MUI version on English Windows XP from a feature and architectural point of view,

Q: Where will the MUI packs be located for download?

A: MUI packs will be available in early May by download from the client and server pages.

[...]

A: Contact the hardware or software vendor to determine if printers and other devices have 64-bit drivers.

Q: I've contacted my OEM and they have no knowledge of the program, what can I do?

A: First, you should check your OEM's Web site to see if they support the program for your particular PC. If your OEM supports the program, they will have a "custom" version of the exchange program which will provide you with the appropriate drivers and software for your computer.

Q: I've contacted my System Builder and they have no knowledge of the program, what can I do?

A: Microsoft is contracting with an Authorized Replicator to hosting the exchange site on behalf of System Builders, so the System Builder may, or may not, be aware of the Technology Advancement Program.

Q: How do I submit multiple COA serial numbers or Product IDs as items in my order?

A: Unfortunately, multiple items currently need to be submitted as separate orders.

Licensing

Q: If I have a Volume License or a subscription to MSDN, should I use this program?

A. Customers with active Volume License Agreements and MSDN subscriptions already have access to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition under their existing plan.

Q: If I have Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition or Windows XP Media Center Edition, am I eligible for this program?

A: No, the Windows x64 Editions Technology Advancement Program only allows exchanges from one like product to another. Customers with versions of the product other than Windows XP Professional can either upgrade to Windows XP Professional and then make the exchange or purchase the Windows XP Professional x64 Edition CD from a System Builder, Distributor, or pre-installed on a new PC.

Q: If I submit an order for a Windows XP Professional x64 Edition can I return my 32-bit XP Professional Edition?

A: You will not be able to return your 32-bit license of Windows XP Professional. If you are uncertain on making the exchange, we recommend you try the software first by using the Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Trial Software Program. Please see http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...ion/trial.mspx for details.

Order Process

Q: Where is the COA serial number located?

A: The Certificate of Authenticity can be found on a sticker that is generally located on the back or bottom of a PC. The sticker contains two different sets of numbers - the first is a 25 character product key and the second is the COA serial number. The COA serial number is what is required for this program. It generally appears under a bar code which is located beneath the product key, and begins with "000".

Q: I don't have, or can't find, the COA what else can I do?

A: You can enter the Product ID if a COA is not available. To find the Product ID in Windows XP Professional, click Start, click My Computer, and then click View system information from the left side of the window. In the System Properties dialog box that appears, your Product ID, or "PID," will be the 20-digit number located under Registered to.

Q: I received an "Invalid COA" message and cannot submit my order, what can I do?

A: First, please ensure that you are entering the correct value into the COA serial number field. The COA serial number is located on a sticker that is generally attached to the back or undercarriage of your computer. The COA serial number is located under the 25 character product key, and begins with "000".

If you follow the above instructions and still receive an error, please enter the Product ID instead. To find the Product ID in Windows XP Professional, click Start, click My Computer, and then click View system information from the left side of the window. In the System Properties dialog box that appears, your Product ID, or "PID," will be the 20-digit number located under Registered to.

Q: I entered a COA and Product ID and neither is valid, what else can I do?

A: Verify the software you want to exchange is included in the Technology Advancement Software. If the software you have to exchange is included then verify the software was acquired between March 31, 2003 and June 30, 2005.

Q: Can I order my Technology Advancement Software from this site if the Product ID contains the letters "OEM"?

A: Yes you may, however, Microsoft recommends that you visit your PC manufacturer's web site to determine if they are supporting the program first. If your OEM supports the program, they will have a "custom" version of the exchange program which will provide you with the appropriate drivers and software for your computer.

Q: After entering my COA, I received a "DupeCOA" message. What should I do?

A: Please send an email to 64bitupgrade@productorder.com and specify the error message received and the COA that you entered.

Q: Do I need to specify the 25 digit product key in the order process?

A: No, the 25 digit product key is not used in the Technology Advancement Program.

Q: How do I check on my order status?

A: You will receive an order confirmation email once soon after your order is placed and soon after your order is shipped. If you have any order, shipping, or billing-related questions please email ms64bitupgrade@productorder.com.

Q: When will I receive my Technology Advancement Software after ordering?

A: Due to large demand, it will take about 4-6 weeks after ordering to receive your shipment.

Payment

Q: Who can I contact if I have questions about my order, the shipping of my order, or payment?

A: For order, shipping, and billing details, you may visit the order website. For inquires on any of these items, please email 64bitupgrade@productorder.com. If you've made a payment and have questions about the charges, please call the number that appears below the charge description on your credit card statement.

Q: What payment methods can I use to pay for shipping, handling, and any customs duty charges?

A: The payment methods available to pay for shipping, handling, and any custom duty charges are: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.

Setup/Installation:

Q: What setup and installation considerations should I have when installing Windows x64 Edition?

A: The Windows XP Professional x64 Edition installation process is similar to the installation process for the 32-bit Windows operating system. The x64 installation still copies the needed files to temporary folders, restarts the computer into graphical user interface (GUI) mode, performs Plug and Play (PnP) detection and installation, and then finishes the set up process. However, some GUI mode graphics have been updated to profile new features in x64. To the end user, the installation procedure appears nearly the same as a 32-bit Windows installation. For details, please see knowledge base article 896334.

Andre Da Costa 05-10-2005 09:39 PM

Re: FAQ for the XP x64 Technology Advancement Program (the Trade-in program)

Bill Volkova should be at peace now.
--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

[...]

A: Customers participating in the Technology Advancement program will
receive a CD with a full installation of the software ordered. Since the
software ordered is a full installation of the operating system, the
software will not be posted for download.

Q: What will my order contain?
A: When your order arrives, you will receive a DVD case and CD with a liner
that identifies the software as part of the Technology Advancement Program
(e.g., "Microsoft XP Professional x64 Edition).

Q: What languages are available?
A: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is available in English and Japanese,
with Multilingual Interface Packs (MUIs) available in the languages listed
below. As the product MUI Packs release during Q2 2005, they will be posted
the Technology Advancement Program website for download. The following
languages will have MUI Packs available for download:

German
French
Spanish
Italian
Korean
Chinese Simplified
Chinese Traditional
Japanese
Swedish

Q: What is a Multilingual User Interface?
A: A Multilingual User Interface (MUI) runs on top of the English version of
Windows and provides a translated user interface for the customer. With the
exception of a few minor differences, localized versions of Windows are the
same as the MUI version on English Windows XP from a feature and
architectural point of view,

Q: Where will the MUI packs be located for download?
A: MUI packs will be available in early May by download from the client and
server pages.
[...]

A: Contact the hardware or software vendor to determine if printers and
other devices have 64-bit drivers.

Q: I've contacted my OEM and they have no knowledge of the program, what can
I do?
A: First, you should check your OEM's Web site to see if they support the
program for your particular PC. If your OEM supports the program, they will
have a "custom" version of the exchange program which will provide you with
the appropriate drivers and software for your computer.

Q: I've contacted my System Builder and they have no knowledge of the
program, what can I do?
A: Microsoft is contracting with an Authorized Replicator to hosting the
exchange site on behalf of System Builders, so the System Builder may, or
may not, be aware of the Technology Advancement Program.

Q: How do I submit multiple COA serial numbers or Product IDs as items in my
order?
A: Unfortunately, multiple items currently need to be submitted as separate
orders.

Licensing
Q: If I have a Volume License or a subscription to MSDN, should I use this
program?
A. Customers with active Volume License Agreements and MSDN subscriptions
already have access to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition under their
existing plan.

Q: If I have Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition or
Windows XP Media Center Edition, am I eligible for this program?
A: No, the Windows x64 Editions Technology Advancement Program only allows
exchanges from one like product to another. Customers with versions of the
product other than Windows XP Professional can either upgrade to Windows XP
Professional and then make the exchange or purchase the Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition CD from a System Builder, Distributor, or
pre-installed on a new PC.

Q: If I submit an order for a Windows XP Professional x64 Edition can I
return my 32-bit XP Professional Edition?
A: You will not be able to return your 32-bit license of Windows XP
Professional. If you are uncertain on making the exchange, we recommend you
try the software first by using the Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Trial Software Program. Please see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...ion/trial.mspx for details.

Order Process
Q: Where is the COA serial number located?
A: The Certificate of Authenticity can be found on a sticker that is
generally located on the back or bottom of a PC. The sticker contains two
different sets of numbers - the first is a 25 character product key and the
second is the COA serial number. The COA serial number is what is required
for this program. It generally appears under a bar code which is located
beneath the product key, and begins with "000".

Q: I don't have, or can't find, the COA what else can I do?
A: You can enter the Product ID if a COA is not available. To find the
Product ID in Windows XP Professional, click Start, click My Computer, and
then click View system information from the left side of the window. In the
System Properties dialog box that appears, your Product ID, or "PID," will
be the 20-digit number located under Registered to.

Q: I received an "Invalid COA" message and cannot submit my order, what can
I do?
A: First, please ensure that you are entering the correct value into the COA
serial number field. The COA serial number is located on a sticker that is
generally attached to the back or undercarriage of your computer. The COA
serial number is located under the 25 character product key, and begins with
"000".

If you follow the above instructions and still receive an error, please
enter the Product ID instead. To find the Product ID in Windows XP
Professional, click Start, click My Computer, and then click View system
information from the left side of the window. In the System Properties
dialog box that appears, your Product ID, or "PID," will be the 20-digit
number located under Registered to.

Q: I entered a COA and Product ID and neither is valid, what else can I do?
A: Verify the software you want to exchange is included in the Technology
Advancement Software. If the software you have to exchange is included then
verify the software was acquired between March 31, 2003 and June 30, 2005.

Q: Can I order my Technology Advancement Software from this site if the
Product ID contains the letters "OEM"?
A: Yes you may, however, Microsoft recommends that you visit your PC
manufacturer's web site to determine if they are supporting the program
first. If your OEM supports the program, they will have a "custom" version
of the exchange program which will provide you with the appropriate drivers
and software for your computer.

Q: After entering my COA, I received a "DupeCOA" message. What should I do?
A: Please send an email to 64bitupgrade@productorder.com and specify the
error message received and the COA that you entered.

Q: Do I need to specify the 25 digit product key in the order process?
A: No, the 25 digit product key is not used in the Technology Advancement
Program.

Q: How do I check on my order status?
A: You will receive an order confirmation email once soon after your order
is placed and soon after your order is shipped. If you have any order,
shipping, or billing-related questions please email
ms64bitupgrade@productorder.com.

Q: When will I receive my Technology Advancement Software after ordering?
A: Due to large demand, it will take about 4-6 weeks after ordering to
receive your shipment.

Payment
Q: Who can I contact if I have questions about my order, the shipping of my
order, or payment?
A: For order, shipping, and billing details, you may visit the order
website. For inquires on any of these items, please email
64bitupgrade@productorder.com. If you've made a payment and have questions
about the charges, please call the number that appears below the charge
description on your credit card statement.

Q: What payment methods can I use to pay for shipping, handling, and any
customs duty charges?
A: The payment methods available to pay for shipping, handling, and any
custom duty charges are: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.

Setup/Installation:

Q: What setup and installation considerations should I have when installing
Windows x64 Edition?
A: The Windows XP Professional x64 Edition installation process is similar
to the installation process for the 32-bit Windows operating system. The x64
installation still copies the needed files to temporary folders, restarts
the computer into graphical user interface (GUI) mode, performs Plug and
Play (PnP) detection and installation, and then finishes the set up process.
However, some GUI mode graphics have been updated to profile new features in
x64. To the end user, the installation procedure appears nearly the same as
a 32-bit Windows installation. For details, please see knowledge base
article 896334.

Andre Da Costa 05-10-2005 09:47 PM

Re: FAQ for the XP x64 Technology Advancement Program (the Trade-in program)

Thanks for these Joe.
--

[...]

A: Customers participating in the Technology Advancement program will
receive a CD with a full installation of the software ordered. Since the
software ordered is a full installation of the operating system, the
software will not be posted for download.

Q: What will my order contain?
A: When your order arrives, you will receive a DVD case and CD with a liner
that identifies the software as part of the Technology Advancement Program
(e.g., "Microsoft XP Professional x64 Edition).

Q: What languages are available?
A: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is available in English and Japanese,
with Multilingual Interface Packs (MUIs) available in the languages listed
below. As the product MUI Packs release during Q2 2005, they will be posted
the Technology Advancement Program website for download. The following
languages will have MUI Packs available for download:

German
French
Spanish
Italian
Korean
Chinese Simplified
Chinese Traditional
Japanese
Swedish

Q: What is a Multilingual User Interface?
A: A Multilingual User Interface (MUI) runs on top of the English version of
Windows and provides a translated user interface for the customer. With the
exception of a few minor differences, localized versions of Windows are the
same as the MUI version on English Windows XP from a feature and
architectural point of view,

Q: Where will the MUI packs be located for download?
A: MUI packs will be available in early May by download from the client and
server pages.
[...]

A: Contact the hardware or software vendor to determine if printers and
other devices have 64-bit drivers.

Q: I've contacted my OEM and they have no knowledge of the program, what can
I do?
A: First, you should check your OEM's Web site to see if they support the
program for your particular PC. If your OEM supports the program, they will
have a "custom" version of the exchange program which will provide you with
the appropriate drivers and software for your computer.

Q: I've contacted my System Builder and they have no knowledge of the
program, what can I do?
A: Microsoft is contracting with an Authorized Replicator to hosting the
exchange site on behalf of System Builders, so the System Builder may, or
may not, be aware of the Technology Advancement Program.

Q: How do I submit multiple COA serial numbers or Product IDs as items in my
order?
A: Unfortunately, multiple items currently need to be submitted as separate
orders.

Licensing
Q: If I have a Volume License or a subscription to MSDN, should I use this
program?
A. Customers with active Volume License Agreements and MSDN subscriptions
already have access to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition under their
existing plan.

Q: If I have Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition or
Windows XP Media Center Edition, am I eligible for this program?
A: No, the Windows x64 Editions Technology Advancement Program only allows
exchanges from one like product to another. Customers with versions of the
product other than Windows XP Professional can either upgrade to Windows XP
Professional and then make the exchange or purchase the Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition CD from a System Builder, Distributor, or
pre-installed on a new PC.

Q: If I submit an order for a Windows XP Professional x64 Edition can I
return my 32-bit XP Professional Edition?
A: You will not be able to return your 32-bit license of Windows XP
Professional. If you are uncertain on making the exchange, we recommend you
try the software first by using the Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Trial Software Program. Please see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...ion/trial.mspx for details.

Order Process
Q: Where is the COA serial number located?
A: The Certificate of Authenticity can be found on a sticker that is
generally located on the back or bottom of a PC. The sticker contains two
different sets of numbers - the first is a 25 character product key and the
second is the COA serial number. The COA serial number is what is required
for this program. It generally appears under a bar code which is located
beneath the product key, and begins with "000".

Q: I don't have, or can't find, the COA what else can I do?
A: You can enter the Product ID if a COA is not available. To find the
Product ID in Windows XP Professional, click Start, click My Computer, and
then click View system information from the left side of the window. In the
System Properties dialog box that appears, your Product ID, or "PID," will
be the 20-digit number located under Registered to.

Q: I received an "Invalid COA" message and cannot submit my order, what can
I do?
A: First, please ensure that you are entering the correct value into the COA
serial number field. The COA serial number is located on a sticker that is
generally attached to the back or undercarriage of your computer. The COA
serial number is located under the 25 character product key, and begins with
"000".

If you follow the above instructions and still receive an error, please
enter the Product ID instead. To find the Product ID in Windows XP
Professional, click Start, click My Computer, and then click View system
information from the left side of the window. In the System Properties
dialog box that appears, your Product ID, or "PID," will be the 20-digit
number located under Registered to.

Q: I entered a COA and Product ID and neither is valid, what else can I do?
A: Verify the software you want to exchange is included in the Technology
Advancement Software. If the software you have to exchange is included then
verify the software was acquired between March 31, 2003 and June 30, 2005.

Q: Can I order my Technology Advancement Software from this site if the
Product ID contains the letters "OEM"?
A: Yes you may, however, Microsoft recommends that you visit your PC

A: Please send an email to 64bitupgrade@productorder.com and specify the
error message received and the COA that you entered.

Q: Do I need to specify the 25 digit product key in the order process?
A: No, the 25 digit product key is not used in the Technology Advancement
Program.

Q: How do I check on my order status?
A: You will receive an order confirmation email once soon after your order
is placed and soon after your order is shipped. If you have any order,
shipping, or billing-related questions please email
ms64bitupgrade@productorder.com.

Q: When will I receive my Technology Advancement Software after ordering?
A: Due to large demand, it will take about 4-6 weeks after ordering to
receive your shipment.

Payment
Q: Who can I contact if I have questions about my order, the shipping of my
order, or payment?
A: For order, shipping, and billing details, you may visit the order
website. For inquires on any of these items, please email
64bitupgrade@productorder.com. If you've made a payment and have questions
about the charges, please call the number that appears below the charge
description on your credit card statement.

Q: What payment methods can I use to pay for shipping, handling, and any
customs duty charges?
A: The payment methods available to pay for shipping, handling, and any
custom duty charges are: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.

Setup/Installation:

Q: What setup and installation considerations should I have when installing
Windows x64 Edition?
A: The Windows XP Professional x64 Edition installation process is similar

Bill Sharpe 05-10-2005 10:18 PM

Re: FAQ for the XP x64 Technology Advancement Program (the Trade-in program)

Any word on when the TAP site will accept APO mailing and/or billing addresses?

Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com] 05-10-2005 11:03 PM

Re: FAQ for the XP x64 Technology Advancement Program (the Trade-inprogram)

There are a lot of restrictions on what can get mailed to APO/FPO
addresses (having been a military brat all my life, I should know) which
is why many merchants won't ship to such addresses. Some of these
restrictions apply to weight, physical dimensions, and even delivery
method (must be hand carried by USPS)!

Do keep in mind should you try to 'fake' the form out, use only one of
the three official "states": AE, AA and AP and also keep in mind if the
package is sent 'surface mail', you'll likely not see it for 8 weeks+

Rafael Rivera
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Charlie Russel - MVP 05-11-2005 06:00 AM

Re: FAQ for the XP x64 Technology Advancement Program (the Trade-in program)

Thanks, Joe. Hopefully that will help here, at least a little. :)

--
Charlie.

Billie Volkova 05-11-2005 08:12 AM

Re: FAQ for the XP x64 Technology Advancement Program (the Trade-in program)

Actually it still doesn't explain why those of us with an OEM PID are
basically stopped right at the first page with the "invalid format" error.
Like has been said previously, not every OEM copy is provided by a big
manufacturer. Mine as far as I'm aware went out of business almost a year
ago, which is why I'm none too concerned about support and can't contact
them. And people like me can't even try 2nd tier because we can't even get
past the first page still.

Bill Sharpe 05-11-2005 11:08 AM

Re: FAQ for the XP x64 Technology Advancement Program (the Trade-in program)

Weight - 70 pounds

Size - 102 inches (length + girth)

Customs/Export restrictions - None, except customs declaration must be
filled out and item must be for personal use.

Now for the one that may apply. Yes items for USPS mail must be physically
delivered the USPS facility. However USPS will accept bulk deliveries at
the loading dock. However, Express Mail which can be picked up by a postal
carrier.

As for delivery time, does take a little longer. But, I just had two Canon
PIXMA MP130 delivered in less than ten days from order placed on web site at
Computer4Sure, delivery was by normal parcel post. Most of my beta CD's
from MSFT are delivered in less than 7 days.

Could the real problem be that the third party outsourced fulfillment center
is just too lazy to deliver the CD's to the post office or fill out the
customs declaration form?

Don't try to feed me your line about restrictions on APO deliveries as I am
a volunteer postal worker who assists the local APO mail room during peak
periods such as Christmas and other holidays. If it's not firearms,
hazardous materials, illegal drugs, etc, it gets through.

As to using AA, AE, or AP, the drop down menu on the TAP site does not even
have those official state codes listed.

Bill Sharpe
william*dot*sharpe*at*kunsan*dot*af*dot*mil
APO, AP 96264

Please reply by email unless your reply will benefit others on the
newsgroup.

"Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote in
message news:e%23YC%23RbVFHA.1328@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Joseph Conway [MSFT] 05-11-2005 12:42 PM

Re: FAQ for the XP x64 Technology Advancement Program (the Trade-in program)

Currently we arent going to ship to APO, I know that its been discussed but
I havent see anything more about that to this point.