Velocity Reviews

-   -   "An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487034-an-attempt-was-made-to-access-a-socket-in-a-way-forbidden-by-its-access-permissions.html)

exiter 03-25-2007 02:09 PM

"An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions"

I get this error when using a popular bit torrent client and using the
native Vista firewall.
"An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its
access permissions"
Others have expreienced this with and without 3rd party firewalls and
other bit torrents clients.

When this error occures my internet connection dies.
I'm not totally disconnected but there's no internet radio and the
internet gadgets stop working, i.e. Vista's Weather Gadget, also
Internet Explorer stops bring up pages/sites like it's not connected.
My internet connection with the ethernet card and DSL is still
connected but i'm basically cut off from there.
My DSL modem is directly connected to the ethernet card on the
computer. No router.
Only a restart can cures this until any where from a couple hours to a
day when it happens again.

This is odd and also frustrating....

The things I have done so far:
Turned off UAC.
Ran said program as Administrator.
Turn on and off firewall.
Ran said program in Compatibility mode. (WindowsXP SP2)
Gave said program all permissions to access internet. (Using wf.msc)
Switched out ethernet cards.
Turned off and then on IPv6.
Kicked the garbage can...really HARD!

Is this something to do with the way Vista handles high traffic and is
there a fix/cure?
Please any help will be greatly appericated!

dorothydax@gmail.com 03-25-2007 04:02 PM

Re: "An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions"

On Mar 25, 10:09 am, "exiter" <exi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I get this error when using a popular bit torrent client and using the
> native Vista firewall.
> "An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its
> access permissions"

<rest is deleted form brevity>

It seems that you were running two applications, and they are trying
to access the same sockets.

What Microsoft says about ur problem
:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819124

WSAEACCES (10013)

Translation: Permission denied.
forbidden by its access permissions. For example, this error occurs
when a broadcast address is used for sendto but the broadcast
permission is not set by using setsockopt(SO_BROADCAST). Another
possible reason for the WSAEACCES error is that when the bind
(Wsapiref_6vzm.asp) function is called (in Microsoft Windows NT 4 .0
Service Pack 4 [SP4] or later), another program, service, or kernel
mode driver is bound to the same address with exclusive access. Such
exclusive access is a new feature of Windows NT 4.0 SP4 and later, and
it is implemented by using the SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE option.

Hope this help

exiter 03-26-2007 03:53 PM

Re: "An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions"

oki...
i got that much basically...

i need to know how to fix it.
or can it be resolved some how?
i know there was a patch to allow certain amount of sockets to be
opened on XP.
this is frustrating to no end...i restarted just now twice within an
hour just to regain a connection.

i really hate to take this rig back and ask for a Linux driven
one...of course the place doesnt sell them. :(

Peacekeeper 02-27-2012 08:36 PM

try this

I got the same error message, I system restored (Windows Update restore point)
Anyway all is well now.:congrats: