Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is anyone using 2 monitors for photo work? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t486964-is-anyone-using-2-monitors-for-photo-work.html)

Rich 03-25-2007 02:30 AM

Is anyone using 2 monitors for photo work?

If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
the program controls on the other?
Thanks!

Just D 03-25-2007 03:16 AM

Re: Is anyone using 2 monitors for photo work?

"Rich"
> If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
> with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
> the program controls on the other?

I use it every day, but only with two monitors. There are a lot of different
configurations now with more monitors like this:

http://digitaltigers.com/zenview.sht...FRVkYAodDAxySw

Actually you can google for it:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=triple+monitor

This one is interesting...)

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/periphera...sts-237892.php

Just D.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?= 03-25-2007 03:35 AM

Rich wrote:

> If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
> with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
> the program controls on the other?
> Thanks!

Doesn't everyone use two monitors? As for photo editing, use the cheapest
dual head video card you can find, as it's really not important to have the
latest and greatest unless you are a gamer. Yes.

Rita

Eddie 03-25-2007 03:38 AM

After serious thinking Rich wrote :
> If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
> with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
> the program controls on the other?
> Thanks!

I use two LCD displays. I used to have an ATI card but switched to a
Nvidia card. I like the software much better on Nvidia for dual
setups. I also get much fewer crashes.

Good Man 03-25-2007 04:13 AM

Re: Is anyone using 2 monitors for photo work?

"Rich" <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote in news:1174789831.318704.274100
@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

> If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
> with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
> the program controls on the other?
> Thanks!

More importantly, what monitors are people here using for photo work... and
is your photo work web based, print based, or both?

Mark▓ 03-25-2007 04:22 AM

Rich wrote:
> If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
> with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
> the program controls on the other?
> Thanks!

Ya. I use two (though one of my monitors died recently...).
And yes...you can very easily set Photoshop up to keep tools on one monitor,
and images on the other. If you're using Windows, you simply go to display
properties (right click on the desktop) and select "extend desktop onto this
monitor." (Windows XP).

Then you just drag tool-bars over...or...you can drag only image over to
another monitor, and keep all menus and toolbars on the other. Then save
your desktop scheme in Photoshop...for easy selection later if you use the
same set-up. You can save various desktop arrangements.

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark▓ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson

Mark▓ 03-25-2007 04:25 AM

Mark▓ wrote:
> Rich wrote:
>> If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
>> with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
>> the program controls on the other?
>> Thanks!

> Ya. I use two (though one of my monitors died recently...).
> And yes...you can very easily set Photoshop up to keep tools on one
> monitor, and images on the other. If you're using Windows, you
> simply go to display properties (right click on the desktop) and
> select "extend desktop onto this monitor." (Windows XP).
>
> Then you just drag tool-bars over...or...you can drag only image over
> to another monitor, and keep all menus and toolbars on the other. Then
> save your desktop scheme in Photoshop...for easy selection later
> if you use the same set-up. You can save various desktop
> arrangements.

I use ATI video cards, but others such as Nvidia and numerous others are
fine...assuming they support two monitors. Many systems will support two
separate video cards, such as PCI Express Cross-Fire cards by ATI.

timeOday 03-25-2007 04:58 AM

Rita ─ Berkowitz wrote:

> Doesn't everyone use two monitors?

I really don't see a need for two monitors any more. Many of my
co-workers have switched over to the 30" Apple display. It has more
pixels than a pair of 1600x1200 displays side by side. It verges on
being *too* big, as I'd rather work with a stack of windows than show
them all at once but have to swivel my head around to see different
parts of the screen.

Mark▓ 03-25-2007 05:19 AM

timeOday wrote:
> Rita ─ Berkowitz wrote:
>
>> Doesn't everyone use two monitors?

> I really don't see a need for two monitors any more. Many of my
> co-workers have switched over to the 30" Apple display. It has more
> pixels than a pair of 1600x1200 displays side by side. It verges on
> being *too* big, as I'd rather work with a stack of windows than show
> them all at once but have to swivel my head around to see different
> parts of the screen.

Soon I'll add a 24" screen that runs at 1920x1200. To me, this is just
about right, as it will allow room for Photoshop toolbars and images, yet
leave enough for a large image view.

Ideally, I'd still like to find a very small LCD...perhaps 12" in portrait
mode...just for tools. This would allow me to use the full screen for the
photo, and use the tiny screen for tools, menus, etc.

David J Taylor 03-25-2007 07:08 AM

Rich wrote:
> If so, which video card are you using to drive them? Is it possible,
> with PS or other program to have the photo alone on one monitor and
> the program controls on the other?
> Thanks!

I have a PC with an ATI Radeon X1300 PRO video card, which happily drives
two monitors, as does my other PC with an ATI Radeon X300/X550 series
card. I tend to use Paint Shop Pro for image editing, but leave the
second monitor free for other programs.

David