Velocity Reviews

-   -   HD In An External Enclosure ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t486884-hd-in-an-external-enclosure.html)

Robert11 03-24-2007 05:24 PM

HD In An External Enclosure ?

Hello:

Have a PC that came with a single HD, and runs XP.
I added a second SATA HD afterwards.

I may be purchasing a new PC, and was wondering about the following:

Would probably try to find a PC that comes with a spare empty slot in it so
that I can transfer
the HD I put in to the PC I now have to this new one. This is, of course,
the HD that does Not have the OS on it; just a bunch of photos, etc.

Or, I may purchase a PC with just 2 HD's already installed in it.
I kinda like the idea of having a second HD for backups, etc.

Anyway, if I go this route, can I perhaps use the HD I previously installed
in the old PC into some sort of cabinet, external to the new PC ?
Is this a good and workable idea ?

Who makes these types of enclosures ? Brand recommendations ?
Does it have to have a power supply built in ?

Also, how would it communicate with the new PC: via USB ?
Or something ese ?
I heard about Firewire and 1394 Bus.
What are these ? Something to consider ?

Any thoughts on all of this, and opinions, would be most appreciated.

Any "hookers" or caveats re putting the HD into an external enclosure ?
e.g., will most new PC's running Vista recognize 3 HD's without any problem,
etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

Aardvark 03-24-2007 05:35 PM

Re: HD In An External Enclosure ?

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:24:54 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Have a PC that came with a single HD, and runs XP.
> I added a second SATA HD afterwards.

So the original HD was SATA also?

> I may be purchasing a new PC, and was wondering about the following:
>
> Would probably try to find a PC that comes with a spare empty slot in it so
> that I can transfer

You'd be hard pushed to find a PC tower that doesn't have a spare slot.

> the HD I put in to the PC I now have to this new one. This is, of course,
> the HD that does Not have the OS on it; just a bunch of photos, etc.

Sounds OK so far.

> Or, I may purchase a PC with just 2 HD's already installed in it.

Why bother if you have a spare HD?

> I kinda like the idea of having a second HD for backups, etc.

It's pretty handy, yes.

> Anyway, if I go this route, can I perhaps use the HD I previously installed
> in the old PC into some sort of cabinet, external to the new PC ?
> Is this a good and workable idea ?

Yes. But no need to go to the expense of an external enclosure if you're
happy to use the spare HD as a permanent fixture in the new box. Unless
you want to move it from PC to PC.

> Who makes these types of enclosures ? Brand recommendations ?
> Does it have to have a power supply built in ?

Google is your friend. 'External hard drive enclosure' as a search term
wouldn't take you too far off target.

> Also, how would it communicate with the new PC: via USB ?
> Or something ese ?

Yes. USB or something else.

> I heard about Firewire and 1394 Bus.
> What are these ? Something to consider ?

Google is still your friend.

> Any thoughts on all of this, and opinions, would be most appreciated.

My opinion: you're an idle ****er who can't be bothered doing his own
googling.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.