Velocity Reviews

-   -   Broadband/DSL question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t486590-broadband-dsl-question.html)

ncleasby 03-23-2007 02:30 PM

Broadband/DSL question

My phone line is DSL enabled (freedom2surf). My question is, can I
connect to any broadband provider if I has the login/account details,
or are you only able to connect with the ISP that you (your phone
line) have registered with.

I just finished building a machine for a friend who uses AOL + BT
Voyager 105 DLS modem (I also have the same modem).

I got AOL 9 software and the BT/AOL Drivers for the DSL modem
installed, and now want to connect to the AOL service (using my DSL
enabled phone line) just to make sure all is working OK, so when he
takes the PC back to his home, the machine can be connected up and
just work without any issues.

When trying this, the modem fails to connect to AOL.
I'm hoping that it's just because my phone is registered with F2S, and
when he connects it to his phone line (AOL) it will connect fine.
Just checking...

nick.

Flying Rat 03-23-2007 02:40 PM

Re: Broadband/DSL question

In article <1174660210.142924.202510@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups .com>,
nickcleasby@f2s.com says...
> My phone line is DSL enabled (freedom2surf). My question is, can I
> connect to any broadband provider if I has the login/account details,
> or are you only able to connect with the ISP that you (your phone
> line) have registered with.

only the broadband provider that provides the connection. It is not the
same as dialup internet, you are not dialling an access number when you
connect.

Whiskers 03-23-2007 05:47 PM

Re: Broadband/DSL question

On 2007-03-23, Flying Rat <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> In article <1174660210.142924.202510@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups .com>,
> nickcleasby@f2s.com says...
>> My phone line is DSL enabled (freedom2surf). My question is, can I
>> connect to any broadband provider if I has the login/account details,
>> or are you only able to connect with the ISP that you (your phone
>> line) have registered with.
>>

> only the broadband provider that provides the connection. It is not the
> same as dialup internet, you are not dialling an access number when you
> connect.

I agree. Your friend's AOL login will only work over his DSL connection,
once AOL has confirmed that the connection is set up.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

ace90210 03-24-2007 05:13 PM

Re: Broadband/DSL question

On Mar 23, 2:30 pm, "ncleasby" <nickclea...@f2s.com> wrote:
> My phone line is DSL enabled (freedom2surf). My question is, can I
> connect to any broadband provider if I has the login/account details,
> or are you only able to connect with the ISP that you (your phone
> line) have registered with.
>
> I just finished building a machine for a friend who uses AOL + BT
> Voyager 105 DLS modem (I also have the same modem).
>
> I got AOL 9 software and the BT/AOL Drivers for the DSL modem
> installed, and now want to connect to the AOL service (using my DSL
> enabled phone line) just to make sure all is working OK, so when he
> takes the PC back to his home, the machine can be connected up and
> just work without any issues.
>
> When trying this, the modem fails to connect to AOL.
> I'm hoping that it's just because my phone is registered with F2S, and
> when he connects it to his phone line (AOL) it will connect fine.
> Just checking...
>
> nick.

yeh it wont let you do that because your line will be connected
directly to your ISP. Thats what happens when you join a ISP and what
takes the time for it to activate. so everything you send through you
broadband goes to them(including you username and password) they then
forward all pages you try to view to you from them so sending the user
name and password from another ISP would just get a invalid user name
and not let you on the net