Velocity Reviews

-   -   USB 720 Aircard and a Router? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t486386-usb-720-aircard-and-a-router.html)

JCW 03-22-2007 08:26 PM

USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

Can I set a wireless network from a USB 720 Aircard from Verizon to a
wireless router then to PC etc? My elderly mother lives in a rural area and
up until now could only get dialup. She is getting the Aircard to use on her
laptop and she wants to know if I can set it up on her Desktop the set up
the wireless network so she can use heer laptop anywhere in the house. Any
help Please.

JCW

Lem 03-22-2007 09:34 PM

Re: USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

JCW wrote:
> Can I set a wireless network from a USB 720 Aircard from Verizon to a
> wireless router then to PC etc? My elderly mother lives in a rural area and
> up until now could only get dialup. She is getting the Aircard to use on her
> laptop and she wants to know if I can set it up on her Desktop the set up
> the wireless network so she can use heer laptop anywhere in the house. Any
> help Please.
>
> JCW

If she uses the USB 720 in her laptop, then she can use it anywhere in
the house (and outside, as well).

You can't connect a USB Aircard to any wireless router that I know of.
They all expect to be connected to a cable or DSL modem via an Ethernet
cable.

On the other hand, if the desktop has a USB connector (unclear if the
USB 720 requires USB 2.0 for full speed) and a regular Ethernet network
adapter, you can connect the USB 720 to the desktop and then use Windows
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to share the Aircard's Internet
connection via the NIC to one of the LAN jacks on the wireless router
(NOT the "Internet" jack). If the laptop has a 802.11 wireless adapter,
you can then access the Internet via the router. The only catch is that
the desktop must be on in order for the laptop to connect.

If you do this, you will have to change the LAN IP of the router to
192.168.0.x (192.168.0.2 is good) and disable its DHCP server. See
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html for general directions, and see your
router's User Guide for specifics.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 03-22-2007 10:36 PM

Re: USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

Hi
I doubt that you would find a Wireless Router with a WAN side USB port.
Connect the USB720 to the Desktop. Make sure that the Desktop has a regular
wired network card.
Connect the Wireless Router as an Access Point only device (the principle
here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html )
Use Windows ICS to Route the connection (I.e do not use the Router for
Routing).
Jack (MVP-Networking).

JCW 03-24-2007 03:40 PM

Re: USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

Thanks for the info...I'll let you know how I do...

JCW

JCW 04-09-2007 06:36 PM

Re: USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

I'll try again. The Aircard worked fine on either coputer by itself, but I
still am not able to connect through a router due to the fact that there is
no way to connect a cable from the modem (Aircard) to the router. Are there
any ideas that I can try using the Aircard on the Desktop then connecting a
device from there to get a wireless connection for the laptop? Thanks in
advance...
(please be concise as I am not an expert) JCW

Lem 04-10-2007 02:09 PM

JCW wrote:
> I'll try again. The Aircard worked fine on either coputer by itself, but I
> still am not able to connect through a router due to the fact that there is
> no way to connect a cable from the modem (Aircard) to the router. Are there
> any ideas that I can try using the Aircard on the Desktop then connecting a
> device from there to get a wireless connection for the laptop? Thanks in
> advance...
> (please be concise as I am not an expert) JCW
> "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the info...I'll let you know how I do...
>>
>> JCW
>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <Jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>> I doubt that you would find a Wireless Router with a WAN side USB port.
>>> Connect the USB720 to the Desktop. Make sure that the Desktop has a
>>> regular wired network card.
>>> Connect the Wireless Router as an Access Point only device (the principle
>>> here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html )
>>> Use Windows ICS to Route the connection (I.e do not use the Router for
>>> Routing).
>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>

>>> "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message

As Jack suggested on 3/22, use Windows Internet Connection Sharing
(ICS): setup ICS on the desktop to share the Aircard connection with
the desktop's NIC; connect the router to the desktop's NIC using one of
the router's LAN ports; set the router's LAN IP appropriately and turn
off its DHCP server (Connect the Wireless Router as an Access Point only
device (the principle here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html)); and
do not connect anything to the router's WAN/Internet port.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

SG 04-12-2007 08:06 PM

Wireless Router for aircard

Here is what you need:

http://www.notebookreview.com/price/...uctID=32092813

or something similar...I think most of the major air card vendors support this one or something like it

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Lem 04-13-2007 03:30 PM

Re: Wireless Router for aircard

SG wrote:
> Here is what you need:
>
> http://www.notebookreview.com/price/...uctID=32092813
>
> or something similar...I think most of the major air card vendors support this one or something like it

> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Thanks for that info.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Christopher Evensen 04-18-2007 04:33 PM

Same with a laptop PCMCA

Hey guys. GREAT info here! I was wondering if the same would work, kind of in reverse. If I have a laptop that I am going to run a Sprint PC card on (Non-usb), can I use ICS as per that link that was given and share the internet connection from the lan port on the laptop out to my Linksys Wireless G router? Would any of the steps change? Thanks alot!

Christopher

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Christopher Evensen 04-18-2007 04:36 PM

Same with a laptop PCMCA