Velocity Reviews

-   -   Internet audio (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t486319-internet-audio.html)

Bishoop 03-22-2007 04:16 PM

Internet audio

The following link plays just fine in IE7 but no sound with FF 2.0.0.3

http://www.bentbay.dk/ring_of_Fire.htm

Do I need some type of plug-in for FF?

Thanks.

Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hippo@gmail.com 03-22-2007 04:55 PM

Re: Internet audio

On Mar 22, 9:16 am, "Bishoop" <n...@nowhere.none> wrote:
> The following link plays just fine in IE7 but no sound with FF 2.0.0.3
>
> http://www.bentbay.dk/ring_of_Fire.htm
>
> Do I need some type of plug-in for FF?
>
> Thanks.

there's 2 very good reasons why this will only play in IE and never in
FF. First is because it was made with Microsoft FrontPage 5.0. That
killed it right there. But the big reason it won't play in FF is
because its using bgsound. This is proprietary sound coding for MS
and IE only and nothing else.

You can also take a look here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...206216#bgsound

warning: most of the extensions mentioned are old and may not work.

Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hippo@gmail.com 03-22-2007 05:02 PM

Re: Internet audio

On Mar 22, 9:55 am, Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hi...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 22, 9:16 am, "Bishoop" <n...@nowhere.none> wrote:
>
> > The following link plays just fine in IE7 but no sound with FF 2.0.0.3

> >http://www.bentbay.dk/ring_of_Fire.htm

> > Do I need some type of plug-in for FF?

> > Thanks.

> there's 2 very good reasons why this will only play in IE and never in
> FF. First is because it was made with Microsoft FrontPage 5.0. That
> killed it right there. But the big reason it won't play in FF is
> because its using bgsound. This is proprietary sound coding for MS
> and IE only and nothing else.
>
> You can also take a look here:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...206216#bgsound
>
> warning: most of the extensions mentioned are old and may not work.

UPDATE: I just tried this and it works. You need greasemonkey
installed: http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/.

Then you also need this greasemonkey add on: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278

once its installed into greasemonkey, visit the site, then either hit
ctrl+shift+C or ctrl+shift+Q and the music starts playing.

Bishoop 03-22-2007 05:14 PM

Re: Internet audio

<Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hippo@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1174582941.160948.117680@b75g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
> On Mar 22, 9:55 am, Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hi...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Mar 22, 9:16 am, "Bishoop" <n...@nowhere.none> wrote:
>>
>> > The following link plays just fine in IE7 but no sound with FF 2.0.0.3

>> >http://www.bentbay.dk/ring_of_Fire.htm

>> > Do I need some type of plug-in for FF?

>> > Thanks.

>> there's 2 very good reasons why this will only play in IE and never in
>> FF. First is because it was made with Microsoft FrontPage 5.0. That
>> killed it right there. But the big reason it won't play in FF is
>> because its using bgsound. This is proprietary sound coding for MS
>> and IE only and nothing else.
>>
>> You can also take a look
>> here:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...206216#bgsound
>>
>> warning: most of the extensions mentioned are old and may not work.

> UPDATE: I just tried this and it works. You need greasemonkey
> installed: http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/.
>
> Then you also need this greasemonkey add on:
> http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278
>
> once its installed into greasemonkey, visit the site, then either hit
> ctrl+shift+C or ctrl+shift+Q and the music starts playing.

Thanks for the help....

Doug G 03-22-2007 06:22 PM

Re: Internet audio

Bishoop wrote:
> <Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hippo@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1174582941.160948.117680@b75g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...

>>> there's 2 very good reasons why this will only play in IE and never in
>>> FF. First is because it was made with Microsoft FrontPage 5.0. That
>>> killed it right there. But the big reason it won't play in FF is
>>> because its using bgsound. This is proprietary sound coding for MS
>>> and IE only and nothing else.
>>>
>>> You can also take a look
>>> here:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...206216#bgsound
>>>
>>> warning: most of the extensions mentioned are old and may not work.

>> UPDATE: I just tried this and it works. You need greasemonkey
>> installed: http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/.
>>
>> Then you also need this greasemonkey add on:
>> http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278
>>
>> once its installed into greasemonkey, visit the site, then either hit
>> ctrl+shift+C or ctrl+shift+Q and the music starts playing.

> Thanks for the help....

The music plays in an IE tab.

IE Tab extension:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/

Stubby 03-22-2007 07:51 PM

Re: Internet audio

Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hippo@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 22, 9:55 am, Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hi...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Mar 22, 9:16 am, "Bishoop" <n...@nowhere.none> wrote:
>>
>>> The following link plays just fine in IE7 but no sound with FF 2.0.0.3
>>> http://www.bentbay.dk/ring_of_Fire.htm
>>> Do I need some type of plug-in for FF?
>>> Thanks.

>> there's 2 very good reasons why this will only play in IE and never in
>> FF. First is because it was made with Microsoft FrontPage 5.0. That
>> killed it right there. But the big reason it won't play in FF is
>> because its using bgsound. This is proprietary sound coding for MS
>> and IE only and nothing else.
>>
>> You can also take a look here:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...206216#bgsound
>>
>> warning: most of the extensions mentioned are old and may not work.

> UPDATE: I just tried this and it works. You need greasemonkey
> installed: http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/.
>
> Then you also need this greasemonkey add on: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278
>
> once its installed into greasemonkey, visit the site, then either hit
> ctrl+shift+C or ctrl+shift+Q and the music starts playing.

That exposes a real weakness in FF -- having to add extensions, plugins,
etc until it works the same as IE. Right out of the box it should do
that. Users can ADD things to the base release but there is no
advantage to having a product that doesn't work. It's like getting a
nice looking car that comes without a steering wheel.

Leonidas Jones 03-22-2007 08:32 PM

Re: Internet audio

Stubby wrote:

> Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hippo@gmail.com wrote:

>>> there's 2 very good reasons why this will only play in IE and never in
>>> FF. First is because it was made with Microsoft FrontPage 5.0. That
>>> killed it right there. But the big reason it won't play in FF is
>>> because its using bgsound. This is proprietary sound coding for MS
>>> and IE only and nothing else.
>>>
>>> You can also take a look
>>> here:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...206216#bgsound
>>>
>>> warning: most of the extensions mentioned are old and may not work.

>> UPDATE: I just tried this and it works. You need greasemonkey
>> installed: http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/.
>>
>> Then you also need this greasemonkey add on:
>> http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278
>>
>> once its installed into greasemonkey, visit the site, then either hit
>> ctrl+shift+C or ctrl+shift+Q and the music starts playing.
>>

> That exposes a real weakness in FF -- having to add extensions, plugins,
> etc until it works the same as IE. Right out of the box it should do
> that. Users can ADD things to the base release but there is no
> advantage to having a product that doesn't work. It's like getting a
> nice looking car that comes without a steering wheel.

I'll disagree quite strongly here. Why should Firefox play a file using
an outmoded, proprietary tag? Why is it expecting too much for web
developers, even obviously amateur ones as in this case, to code their
pages correctly?

I haven't run across a page using bgsound in over a year until this one.

Lee

Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hippo@gmail.com 03-22-2007 11:10 PM

Re: Internet audio

On Mar 22, 12:51 pm, Stubby <William.Plummer-NOSP...@alum.mit.edu>
wrote:
> Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Hi...@gmail.com wrote:

> >> there's 2 very good reasons why this will only play in IE and never in
> >> FF. First is because it was made with Microsoft FrontPage 5.0. That
> >> killed it right there. But the big reason it won't play in FF is
> >> because its using bgsound. This is proprietary sound coding for MS
> >> and IE only and nothing else.

> >> You can also take a look here:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...206216#bgsound

> >> warning: most of the extensions mentioned are old and may not work.

> > UPDATE: I just tried this and it works. You need greasemonkey
> > installed:http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/.

> > Then you also need this greasemonkey add on:http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278

> > once its installed into greasemonkey, visit the site, then either hit
> > ctrl+shift+C or ctrl+shift+Q and the music starts playing.

> That exposes a real weakness in FF -- having to add extensions, plugins,
> etc until it works the same as IE. Right out of the box it should do
> that. Users can ADD things to the base release but there is no
> advantage to having a product that doesn't work. It's like getting a
> nice looking car that comes without a steering wheel.

you've got a point in that, considering Opera plays it just fine, so
why not FF. Maybe you should ask the developers that question. But
until then, you have to use work around.

John Thompson 03-23-2007 12:38 AM

Re: Internet audio

On 2007-03-22, Stubby <William.Plummer-NOSPAM-@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> That exposes a real weakness in FF -- having to add extensions, plugins,
> etc until it works the same as IE. Right out of the box it should do
> that.

Bzzt. Wrong. If you want it to be exactly like IE, why even bother with
Firefox? I use Firefox because I can add extensions and such to make it
work better than IE.

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)