Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sorta-OT: John Backus obit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t486076-sorta-ot-john-backus-obit.html)

Kenneth Brody 03-21-2007 07:07 PM

Sorta-OT: John Backus obit

John Backus (I originally mistyped "Backup"), the "Father of FORTRAN",
and the "B" in "BNF" has died.

http://news.google.com/news?q=%22joh...s%22%20fortran

Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:ThisIsASpamTrap@gmail.com>

Christopher Benson-Manica 03-21-2007 07:17 PM

Re: Sorta-OT: John Backus obit

Kenneth Brody <kenbrody@spamcop.net> wrote:

> John Backus (I originally mistyped "Backup"), the "Father of FORTRAN",
> and the "B" in "BNF" has died.

Sorry to C him go. He will B missed.

Old Wolf 03-21-2007 11:49 PM

Re: Sorta-OT: John Backus obit

On Mar 22, 7:07 am, Kenneth Brody <kenbr...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> John Backus (I originally mistyped "Backup"), the "Father of FORTRAN",
> and the "B" in "BNF" has died.

If only BNF were also dead.

CBFalconer 03-22-2007 03:08 AM

Re: Sorta-OT: John Backus obit

Old Wolf wrote:
> On Mar 22, 7:07 am, Kenneth Brody <kenbr...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>> John Backus (I originally mistyped "Backup"), the "Father of
>> FORTRAN", and the "B" in "BNF" has died.

> If only BNF were also dead.

You don't have to use it. Railroad diagrams work also, but are not
as amenable to data processing. Before you can properly talk about
a thing you need a language to describe it.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

Richard Bos 03-22-2007 08:13 AM

Re: Sorta-OT: John Backus obit

Kenneth Brody <kenbrody@spamcop.net> wrote:

> John Backus (I originally mistyped "Backup"), the "Father of FORTRAN",
> and the "B" in "BNF" has died.
>
> http://news.google.com/news?q=%22joh...s%22%20fortran

He'll be buried face down, nine edge first. Unlike most people of whom
that is said, in his case, it's a compliment.

Richard

Nick Keighley 03-22-2007 10:16 AM

Re: Sorta-OT: John Backus obit

Old Wolf wrote:
> On Mar 22, 7:07 am, Kenneth Brody <kenbr...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> > John Backus (I originally mistyped "Backup"), the "Father of FORTRAN",
> > and the "B" in "BNF" has died.

> If only BNF were also dead.

what's wrong with BNF? What would you describe syntax in instead?

--
Nick Keighley