Velocity Reviews

-   -   from maple to python + numpy/scipy (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t485357-from-maple-to-python-numpy-scipy.html)

Daniel Nogradi 03-19-2007 09:49 AM

from maple to python + numpy/scipy

I'm just getting started with numpy/scipy and first would like to get
a view of what it can do and what it can't. The main idea is to move
from maple to python and the first thing that poped up is the fact
that maple is very convenient for both formal manipulations and exact
integer calculations. For instance if a matrix has integer entries and
the eigenvalues are integers maple can find these exactly.

Can numpy/scipy do this? Or the eigenvalues will always be floating
point numbers?

stef 03-19-2007 10:14 AM

Re: from maple to python + numpy/scipy

Daniel Nogradi wrote:
> I'm just getting started with numpy/scipy and first would like to get
> a view of what it can do and what it can't. The main idea is to move
> from maple to python and the first thing that poped up is the fact
> that maple is very convenient for both formal manipulations and exact
> integer calculations. For instance if a matrix has integer entries and
> the eigenvalues are integers maple can find these exactly.
>
> Can numpy/scipy do this? Or the eigenvalues will always be floating
> point numbers?

it might be better to ask this question on the scipy newsgroup
SciPy Users List <scipy-user@scipy.org>

cheers,
Stef Mientki

Jaap Spies 03-19-2007 10:31 AM

Daniel Nogradi wrote:
> I'm just getting started with numpy/scipy and first would like to get
> a view of what it can do and what it can't. The main idea is to move
> from maple to python and the first thing that poped up is the fact
> that maple is very convenient for both formal manipulations and exact
> integer calculations. For instance if a matrix has integer entries and
> the eigenvalues are integers maple can find these exactly.
>
> Can numpy/scipy do this? Or the eigenvalues will always be floating
> point numbers?

Have a look at SAGE (Software for Algebra and Geometry Experimentation)
http://www.sagemath.org/

Jaap