Velocity Reviews

-   -   is java powerful enough? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t484480-is-java-powerful-enough.html)

Kumar 03-15-2007 10:57 AM

is java powerful enough?

Hello I am new to java and learning it.
I want to delvelop one application which will take one text file as
input and will show the certain parts of the text file based on the
condtion. I want to replace the particular part in the text file with
some other part on different conditions.
Can I do lot of text processing in java?
if yes which part of the java should I read ?
Please help.

---Kumar

Ian Wilson 03-15-2007 11:22 AM

Re: is java powerful enough?

Kumar wrote:

Subject: is java powerful enough?

Yes it is, a better question might be: is Java too powerful?

> Hello I am new to java and learning it.
> I want to delvelop one application which will take one text file as
> input and will show the certain parts of the text file based on the
> condtion. I want to replace the particular part in the text file with
> some other part on different conditions.

Unless doing this as a learning exercise, I'd use sed, awk or Perl.

> Can I do lot of text processing in java?

You can do text processing in assembler, Fortran or Ook. Perhaps what
you mean is: does the Java language (specifically the J2SE platform)
include specific features which are oriented towards text-processing tasks.

Java has methods and classes for reading and writing text files in many
common encodings (e.g. UTF-8), for processing input streams a line at a
time and for applying regular expressions for selecting and replacing text.

> if yes which part of the java should I read ?

Sun's Java tutorials at their website. (Google for "Java tutorial").

Oliver Wong 03-15-2007 04:49 PM

Re: is java powerful enough?

"Kumar" <kumarssss@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1173956261.947522.214740@d57g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
> Hello I am new to java and learning it.
> I want to delvelop one application which will take one text file as
> input and will show the certain parts of the text file based on the
> condtion. I want to replace the particular part in the text file with
> some other part on different conditions.
> Can I do lot of text processing in java?

Yes.

> if yes which part of the java should I read ?
> Please help.

Probably regular expressions and IO. If you want to make add a GUI,
you'll also want to read about Swing.

- Oliver

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= 03-15-2007 11:53 PM

Re: is java powerful enough?

Kumar wrote:
> Hello I am new to java and learning it.
> I want to delvelop one application which will take one text file as
> input and will show the certain parts of the text file based on the
> condtion. I want to replace the particular part in the text file with
> some other part on different conditions.
> Can I do lot of text processing in java?
> if yes which part of the java should I read ?

I would consider Java a good choice (maybe not the best
but good).

You just need basic Java stuff: the language plus java.lang, java.io
and maybe java.util classes.

Arne