Velocity Reviews

-   -   How can i automatically find all unhandled exceptions in my java code? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t484055-how-can-i-automatically-find-all-unhandled-exceptions-in-my-java-code.html)

upsa 03-14-2007 12:29 AM

How can i automatically find all unhandled exceptions in my java code?

see subj,
Thanks.

Eric Sosman 03-14-2007 12:40 AM

Re: How can i automatically find all unhandled exceptions in my javacode?

upsa wrote:
> see subj,
> Thanks.

See sig.
--
Eric Sosman
esosman@acm-dot-org.invalid

Stefan Ram 03-14-2007 12:48 AM

Eric Sosman <esosman@acm-dot-org.invalid> writes:
>>see subj,

>See sig.

See »X-Readme« header.

upsa 03-14-2007 02:21 AM

On 14 ÍÁ̉, 02:48, r...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote:
> Eric Sosman <esos...@acm-dot-org.invalid> writes:
> >>see subj,

> >See sig.

> See >X-Readme< header.

What did you mean ?

Ingo R. Homann 03-14-2007 08:54 AM

Re: How can i automatically find all unhandled exceptions in my javacode?

Hi,

Eric Sosman wrote:
> upsa wrote:
>> see subj,
>> Thanks.

> See sig.

The problem is that you do not get uncaught RuntimeExceptions as Stefan
more or less mentioned. So, IMHO the correct answer would be:

"Read the error messages from javac and catch RuntimeExceptions in your
main-method."

Ciao,
Ingo

Hendrik Maryns 03-14-2007 02:05 PM

upsa schreef:
>>> See sig.

>> See >X-Readme< header.

> What did you mean ?

He meant that you should see the X-Readme header. Do a search for
‘email headers’.

H.
--
Hendrik Maryns
==================

Ingo R. Homann 03-14-2007 02:48 PM

Re: How can i automatically find all unhandled exceptions in my javacode?

Hi,

>>> See >X-Readme< header.

>>What did you mean ?

> He meant that you should see the X-Readme header. Do a search for
> ‘email headers’.

OMG (=Oh my god)!

What kind of nerd humor is it to express onself intentionally baffling
and not even respond in an understandable way if the OP exlicitely asks
for it? (IMHO it is the same kind of behaviour that we nerds make fun of
if e.g. a manager or salesman does so).

To upsa:
Eric meant: "Read the error messages from javac."
Stefan meant: "But wouldn't this apply only to the checked exceptions,
not to runtime exceptions."

Ciao,
Ingo

Alex Hunsley 03-14-2007 03:09 PM

Ingo R. Homann wrote:
> Hi,

>>> What did you mean ?

>> He meant that you should see the X-Readme header. Do a search for
>> ‘email headers’.

> OMG (=Oh my god)!
>
> What kind of nerd humor is it to express onself intentionally baffling
> and not even respond in an understandable way if the OP exlicitely asks
> for it? (IMHO it is the same kind of behaviour that we nerds make fun of
> if e.g. a manager or salesman does so).

They are chastising/needling the OP in a round-about way for not putting
the question where it is most important to have it: the message body.

Ingo R. Homann 03-14-2007 03:48 PM

Alex Hunsley wrote:
> They are chastising/needling the OP in a round-about way for not putting
> the question where it is most important to have it: the message body.

I think the question (short and exact) is put perfectly where it should
be - in the subject. Of course, one could argue about if it would be a
good idea to copy&paste to the body. (Although I do not think that it is
worth arguing about that.)

Having said this: If they have the oppinion that the OP should put the
question in the message body, they should say that - especially when he
asks for explaining what they meant. I don't think that the OP can read
their minds. He will only think "What ... nerds!"

Ciao,
Ingo

Alex Hunsley 03-14-2007 04:46 PM

Ingo R. Homann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Alex Hunsley wrote:
>> They are chastising/needling the OP in a round-about way for not
>> putting the question where it is most important to have it: the
>> message body.

> I think the question (short and exact) is put perfectly where it should
> be - in the subject.

It's just netiquette, I believe, that you should always have a
containing actual content rather than an empty one or one that says "see
subject".

> Of course, one could argue about if it would be a
> good idea to copy&paste to the body. (Although I do not think that it is
> worth arguing about that.)

A succinct and direct question is good as a subject line. Personally I
think it should be pasted as the body too, even if it is only the same
content as the subject line.

> Having said this: If they have the oppinion that the OP should put the
> question in the message body, they should say that - especially when he
> asks for explaining what they meant. I don't think that the OP can read
> their minds. He will only think "What ... nerds!"

It would be more helpful to have done that, yes.