Velocity Reviews

-   -   F.A.O {{{{{Welcome}}}}} (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t483505-f-a-o-welcome.html)

BC 03-12-2007 07:16 AM

F.A.O {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

I'm about to sign up for an account with voip.co.uk, can you confirm
that they offer Call Waiting ID? It isn't mentioned on their website.

Thanks.

bacillus.cereus@gmail.com 03-12-2007 01:54 PM

Re: F.A.O {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

On 12 Mar, 07:16, BC <bacillus.cer...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm about to sign up for an account with voip.co.uk, can you confirm
> that they offer Call Waiting ID? It isn't mentioned on their website.
>
> Thanks.

The penny just dropped! It's controlled from the tone sent by the ATA,
so the answer is yes!

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} 03-12-2007 05:37 PM

Re: F.A.O {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

bacillus.cereus@gmail.com wrote:
> On 12 Mar, 07:16, BC <bacillus.cer...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm about to sign up for an account with voip.co.uk, can you confirm
>> that they offer Call Waiting ID? It isn't mentioned on their website.
>>
>> Thanks.

> The penny just dropped! It's controlled from the tone sent by the ATA,
> so the answer is yes!

Yes, it will be the ATA.

BC 03-12-2007 06:26 PM

Re: F.A.O {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

> Yes, it will be the ATA.

I am now up and running with voip.co.uk.

The ATA settings they gave me mention a SIP Registrar. Does this need to
be stored anywhere in the Linksys ATA? I can see where the proxy
settings go; would the registrar settings go into the outbound proxy?

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} 03-12-2007 06:35 PM

Re: F.A.O {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

BC wrote:
> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
>

>> Yes, it will be the ATA.

> I am now up and running with voip.co.uk.
>
> The ATA settings they gave me mention a SIP Registrar. Does this need
> to be stored anywhere in the Linksys ATA? I can see where the proxy
> settings go; would the registrar settings go into the outbound proxy?

I have to say, I'm not sure.

I think as long you have the proxy setting, username and password
set-up, all is OK.

clavox@btinternet.com 03-12-2007 07:07 PM

Re: F.A.O {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:35:12 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

>BC wrote:
>> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
>>

>>> Yes, it will be the ATA.

>> I am now up and running with voip.co.uk.
>>
>> The ATA settings they gave me mention a SIP Registrar. Does this need
>> to be stored anywhere in the Linksys ATA? I can see where the proxy
>> settings go; would the registrar settings go into the outbound proxy?

>I have to say, I'm not sure.
>
>I think as long you have the proxy setting, username and password
>set-up, all is OK.

Correct, voip's settings are so simple they become hard work if you
have had dealings with other voip providers .

Tim 03-12-2007 11:24 PM

Re: F.A.O {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

BC wrote:

> The ATA settings they gave me mention a SIP Registrar. Does this need to
> be stored anywhere in the Linksys ATA? I can see where the proxy
> settings go; would the registrar settings go into the outbound proxy?

The terms Registrar and Proxy tend to get used interchangeably.

Put the registrar value in the proxy box.

The Outbound proxy is something different. Only put something in here
if your provider specifically specifies an Outbound Proxy. I don't
think you need an outbound proxy for voip.co.uk.

Ti,

Paul Hayes 03-13-2007 09:36 AM

Re: F.A.O {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

BC wrote:
> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
>

>> Yes, it will be the ATA.

> I am now up and running with voip.co.uk.
>
> The ATA settings they gave me mention a SIP Registrar. Does this need to
> be stored anywhere in the Linksys ATA? I can see where the proxy
> settings go; would the registrar settings go into the outbound proxy?

A lot of devices still use the old separate proxy & registrar settings
which comes from the first specification of SIP (rfc2543, current SIP
spec is rfc3261). If you actually do a DNS lookup on the registrar and
proxy addresses you'll see they both point to the same IP address, they
only exist separately to make it easier for people to configure those
devices which still have separate proxy & registrar settings in them.

So my point is, you only need to put the proxy address in. Outbound
proxy is different, only put anything into it if your service provider
has specifically given you an outbound proxy address. It's generally
used for firewall traversal but in the case of voip.co.uk I think their
normal proxy deals with it all.

cheers,
Paul.

BC 03-13-2007 06:08 PM

Re: F.A.O {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Paul Hayes wrote:

> So my point is, you only need to put the proxy address in. Outbound
> proxy is different, only put anything into it if your service provider
> has specifically given you an outbound proxy address. It's generally
> used for firewall traversal but in the case of voip.co.uk I think their
> normal proxy deals with it all.
>
> cheers,
> Paul.

Thanks for everyones repsonses.