Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cisco 7940G with voip ?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t483381-cisco-7940g-with-voip.html)

Psst 03-11-2007 05:39 PM

Cisco 7940G with voip ??

Hello,
i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
with voip via my router/cable connection.

My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
unless im doing something wrong.

The current firmware versions are as follows;

Appload ID P00307020300
bootload id PC0303010100
version 7.2(3.0)

My research tells me that i need to upload the latest sip image from
the cisco website. I have downloaded that file to my pc and then
installed the free solarwinds tftp server software. I have unzipped
all the cisco files in the package and put them in the tftp server
root directory. I then powered off and on the phone but there seems to
be no comms between the tftp server running on my pc and the phone.

Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

thanks

joe

TheMgt 03-11-2007 06:36 PM

Re: Cisco 7940G with voip ??

Psst wrote:
> Hello,
> i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
> an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
> line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
> with voip via my router/cable connection.
>
> My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
> menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
> padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
> unless im doing something wrong.

Near the bottom of the 'Settings' menu there may be an 'Unlock Config'
option. The default password for this is 'cisco'.

alexd 03-11-2007 06:55 PM

Re: Cisco 7940G with voip ??

Psst wrote:

> Hello,
> i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
> an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
> line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
> with voip via my router/cable connection.

In at the deep end, eh? I wouldn't recommend a Cisco to a first time home
user.

> My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
> menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
> padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
> unless im doing something wrong.

Has the previous owner given you the relevant passwords?

> The current firmware versions are as follows;
>
> Appload ID P00307020300
> bootload id PC0303010100
> version 7.2(3.0)
>
> My research tells me that i need to upload the latest sip image from
> the cisco website. I have downloaded that file to my pc and then
> installed the free solarwinds tftp server software. I have unzipped
> all the cisco files in the package and put them in the tftp server
> root directory. I then powered off and on the phone but there seems to
> be no comms between the tftp server running on my pc and the phone.

Have you told your phone it needs to use your PC as a TFTP server? I had to
change the options on my DHCP server to get my Mitel handsets to use the
right TFTP server.

> Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

http://www.trixbox.org/modules/newbb...um.php?forum=3 People are often
struggling with Ciscos in there.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm@ale.cx)
18:33:11 up 16 days, 22:45, 2 users, load average: 0.56, 0.42, 0.23

Psst 03-11-2007 07:24 PM

Re: Cisco 7940G with voip ??

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:36:21 GMT, TheMgt <themgt@morningstar.eu.org>
wrote:

>Psst wrote:
>> Hello,
>> i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
>> an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
>> line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
>> with voip via my router/cable connection.
>>
>> My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
>> menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
>> padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
>> unless im doing something wrong.

>Near the bottom of the 'Settings' menu there may be an 'Unlock Config'
>option. The default password for this is 'cisco'.

Unfortunately there appears to be no menu item for inputting a
password !

TheMgt 03-11-2007 07:38 PM

Re: Cisco 7940G with voip ??

Psst wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:36:21 GMT, TheMgt <themgt@morningstar.eu.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Psst wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
>>> an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
>>> line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
>>> with voip via my router/cable connection.
>>>
>>> My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
>>> menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
>>> padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
>>> unless im doing something wrong.

>> Near the bottom of the 'Settings' menu there may be an 'Unlock Config'
>> option. The default password for this is 'cisco'.

> Unfortunately there appears to be no menu item for inputting a
> password !

What happens when you select 'Unlock Config' ?

stephen 03-11-2007 09:19 PM

Re: Cisco 7940G with voip ??

"Psst" <braantispam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
> an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
> line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
> with voip via my router/cable connection.
>
> My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
> menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
> padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
> unless im doing something wrong.
>
> The current firmware versions are as follows;
>
> Appload ID P00307020300
> bootload id PC0303010100
> version 7.2(3.0)
>
> My research tells me that i need to upload the latest sip image from
> the cisco website. I have downloaded that file to my pc and then
> installed the free solarwinds tftp server software. I have unzipped
> all the cisco files in the package and put them in the tftp server
> root directory. I then powered off and on the phone but there seems to
> be no comms between the tftp server running on my pc and the phone.
>
> Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

admin manual entry about erasing config (from an old version of the Call
Manager manuals, so may not apply)
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...html#wp1020895

if that doesnt work - time to hunt the Cisco site a bit more.

--
Regards

stephen_hope@xyzworld.com - replace xyz with ntl

Psst 03-11-2007 11:23 PM

Re: Cisco 7940G with voip ??

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:38:17 GMT, TheMgt <themgt@morningstar.eu.org>
wrote:

>Psst wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:36:21 GMT, TheMgt <themgt@morningstar.eu.org>
>> wrote:

>>> Near the bottom of the 'Settings' menu there may be an 'Unlock Config'
>>> option. The default password for this is 'cisco'.

>> Unfortunately there appears to be no menu item for inputting a
>> password !

>What happens when you select 'Unlock Config' ?

There is no unlock config item in the menu...

Chris 03-12-2007 11:09 AM

Re: Cisco 7940G with voip ??

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:39:52 +0000, Psst <braantispam@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Can you keep us informed of progress, I intend to do this myself soon

Chris

Psst 03-12-2007 05:09 PM

Re: Cisco 7940G with voip ??

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:09:35 +0000, Chris
<Christopher@REMOVEbundy.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:39:52 +0000, Psst <braantispam@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>Can you keep us informed of progress, I intend to do this myself soon
>
>Chris

Well ive made one discovery already,,if i press in the latch button on
the right hand side toward the top corner then enter **#, the padlock
symbol opens for some functions.