Velocity Reviews

-   -   VOIP Vonage's fate (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t483345-voip-vonages-fate.html)

Fast Edddie 03-11-2007 12:42 PM

VOIP Vonage's fate

So Verizon just got a $50m "accidental" patent infringement jury verdict
against Vonage (who has yet to show a profit) .My take is there's some
question Vonage can survive if they have to pay that.

More immediately though, Verizon is seeking an injunction to prevent Vonage
from using the infringed patents. The hearing is March 23rd and if the judge
grants the injunction and pulls the plug, Vonage's two million customers
don't have phone service.

I sure hope the judge doesn't grant the injunction-- I run my business using
Vonage phone service and all my customers have that number! I'll be bankrupt
by Memorial Day...

Bucky Breeder 03-11-2007 01:14 PM

Re: VOIP Vonage's fate

"Fast Edddie" <ed@poolhall> wrote in

> So Verizon just got a $50m "accidental" patent infringement jury verdict
> against Vonage (who has yet to show a profit) .My take is there's some
> question Vonage can survive if they have to pay that.
>
> More immediately though, Verizon is seeking an injunction to prevent
> Vonage from using the infringed patents. The hearing is March 23rd and
> if the judge grants the injunction and pulls the plug, Vonage's two
> million customers don't have phone service.
>
> I sure hope the judge doesn't grant the injunction-- I run my business
> using Vonage phone service and all my customers have that number! I'll
> be bankrupt by Memorial Day...

And then there's the never-ending appeals... Because there's no money in
the cure or in the solution. Contemptable corrupt US court system! Win,
lose or draw, all consumers will end up paying for it - no matter what the
end result. It's time to start dragging all lawyers out into the streets
and stoning or beheading them - no matter what color robes they wear!

Except maybe for my lawyer. He's been honest.

--

If you're out hiking and your friend gets bitten by a poisonous snake,
tell him you're going to go for help! Then go about 10 feet, out of sight,

A lot of guys will just start crying, "... but I don't want to die now."
That's why it makes you feel good when you tell them it was only a joke -
but he's still always going to be the big sissy cry-baby to everybody else.

Blinky the Shark 03-11-2007 01:56 PM

Re: VOIP Vonage's fate

Fast Edddie wrote:
> So Verizon just got a $50m "accidental" patent infringement jury verdict
> against Vonage (who has yet to show a profit) .My take is there's some
> question Vonage can survive if they have to pay that.
>
> More immediately though, Verizon is seeking an injunction to prevent Vonage
> from using the infringed patents. The hearing is March 23rd and if the judge
> grants the injunction and pulls the plug, Vonage's two million customers
> don't have phone service.
>
> I sure hope the judge doesn't grant the injunction-- I run my business using
> Vonage phone service and all my customers have that number! I'll be bankrupt
> by Memorial Day...

You're doing business with a proprietary phone number, rather than one
issued by a real telco?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Fast Edddie 03-11-2007 04:41 PM

Re: VOIP Vonage's fate

"Blinky the Shark" <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote in message
news:slrnev865m.7a6.no.spam@thurston.blinkynet.net ...
> Fast Edddie wrote:
>> So Verizon just got a $50m "accidental" patent infringement jury verdict
>> against Vonage (who has yet to show a profit) .My take is there's some
>> question Vonage can survive if they have to pay that.
>>
>> More immediately though, Verizon is seeking an injunction to prevent
>> Vonage
>> from using the infringed patents. The hearing is March 23rd and if the
>> judge
>> grants the injunction and pulls the plug, Vonage's two million customers
>> don't have phone service.
>>
>> I sure hope the judge doesn't grant the injunction-- I run my business
>> using
>> Vonage phone service and all my customers have that number! I'll be
>> bankrupt
>> by Memorial Day...

> You're doing business with a proprietary phone number, rather than one
> issued by a real telco?
>
> --
> Blinky RLU 297263

No, it was my number to start with. I ported it to them from BellSouth
(recently swallowed up by the "new" att. I had also ported my other business
landline to a cellphone. That's worked real well-- my clients love the
increased accessability/availability--- plus I can bill my ass off while
driving...

Ed

GHalleck 03-11-2007 08:39 PM

Re: VOIP Vonage's fate

Fast Edddie wrote:

> So Verizon just got a $50m "accidental" patent infringement jury verdict
> against Vonage (who has yet to show a profit) .My take is there's some
> question Vonage can survive if they have to pay that.
>
> More immediately though, Verizon is seeking an injunction to prevent Vonage
> from using the infringed patents. The hearing is March 23rd and if the judge
> grants the injunction and pulls the plug, Vonage's two million customers
> don't have phone service.
>
> I sure hope the judge doesn't grant the injunction-- I run my business using
> Vonage phone service and all my customers have that number! I'll be bankrupt
> by Memorial Day...

There is that famous saying that starts off "...if the pricing is too
good to be true...." Good try by Vonage at trying to piggyback a phone
service by exploiting an invention of a telephone company. Took balls to
do it and guess who got castrated. The only way Vonage can survive is to
pay for the service it is exploiting and pass it off to its customers by
having them pay a fair use price for it.

Fast Edddie 03-11-2007 10:35 PM

Re: VOIP Vonage's fate

"GHalleck" <ghalleck@arrakian.mining.com> wrote in message

> Fast Edddie wrote:
>
>> So Verizon just got a $50m "accidental" patent infringement jury verdict
>> against Vonage (who has yet to show a profit) .My take is there's some
>> question Vonage can survive if they have to pay that.
>>
>> More immediately though, Verizon is seeking an injunction to prevent
>> Vonage from using the infringed patents. The hearing is March 23rd and if
>> the judge grants the injunction and pulls the plug, Vonage's two million
>> customers don't have phone service.
>>
>> I sure hope the judge doesn't grant the injunction-- I run my business
>> using Vonage phone service and all my customers have that number! I'll be
>> bankrupt by Memorial Day...
>>

> There is that famous saying that starts off "...if the pricing is too
> good to be true...." Good try by Vonage at trying to piggyback a phone
> service by exploiting an invention of a telephone company. Took balls to
> do it and guess who got castrated. The only way Vonage can survive is to
> pay for the service it is exploiting and pass it off to its customers by
> having them pay a fair use price for it.

You sound like a first class Lidice!!

west 03-12-2007 03:04 AM

Re: VOIP Vonage's fate

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 08:42:16 -0400, "Fast Edddie" <ed@poolhall> wrote:

>I sure hope the judge doesn't grant the injunction-- I run my business using
>Vonage phone service and all my customers have that number! I'll be bankrupt
>by Memorial Day...

You can change phone companies and retain your phone number(s).