Velocity Reviews

-   -   Difference between Remote Desktop and Remote Desktop for Admin (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t48318-difference-between-remote-desktop-and-remote-desktop-for-admin.html)

Dave Marden 01-22-2004 02:13 AM

Difference between Remote Desktop and Remote Desktop for Admin

I am using a Microsoft Press book for MCSE training and it mentions that
you need to have Remote Desktop for Administration installed. Is this the
same thing as Remote Desktop or is there another one I need to add for
Remote Desktop for Admin?

Dave Marden

rtfm 01-22-2004 02:30 AM

Difference between Remote Desktop and Remote Desktop for Admin

Its all there, read it.

James Martin 01-22-2004 03:18 AM

Re: Difference between Remote Desktop and Remote Desktop for Admin

Hey Dave,

Remote Desktop, while appearing the same as Remote Desktop for
Administration (RDFA) is not exactly the same. Remote desktop allows only 1
connection, and is used mainly connecting to a client system. RDFA is more
like a terminal services connection, and allows up to 2 concurrent
connections without installing the terminal server (2003 only, 2000 required
it) and without needing any additional licenses. From a client's
perspective, you'd connect the same way for both. Remote Desktop doesn't
allow a user to be concurrently logged on to the system locally, RDFA does.
RDFA is integrated into 2003, so it's easy to see where the confusion would
come from. I haven't messed around enough to see if there's even a way to
RD into 2003 in a non-RDFA way (boots local user off, and has other
restrictions), because there'd never be a compelling reason to do so.

Hope that helps.

"Dave Marden" <anonymous@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using a Microsoft Press book for MCSE training and it mentions

that
> you need to have Remote Desktop for Administration installed. Is this the
> same thing as Remote Desktop or is there another one I need to add for
> Remote Desktop for Admin?
>

> Dave Marden

01-22-2004 04:30 AM

Difference between Remote Desktop and Remote Desktop for Admin

There is remote server administration and remote user
support control.
One is used to take control of a workstation and the
other is used to administrate a server from your desktop.
The two are installed separately

Dave Marden 01-22-2004 07:39 AM

Re: Difference between Remote Desktop and Remote Desktop for Admin

Thanks Guys, greatly appreciated.

Dave Marden

Dave Marden 01-22-2004 03:33 PM

Re: Difference between Remote Desktop and Remote Desktop for Admin

The book says that in order to proceed you must have Remote Desktop For
Administrators(RDFA) already installed before reading any further first of
all, and second of all, I have read ahead against what the book says to do.
After reading ahead, I see where it refers to each. I see references to
Remote Desktop, RDFA, and Remote Assistance. I went ahead and looked this
up in the help files in Windows 2003 Premium, and find references to all 3.
Under RDFA in the help files it says that in order to use RDFA you need to
enable RDFA, the problem is I know how to enable RD, and Remote Assistance
but if RDFA is in fact another monster, which it appears to be, I don't know
how to enable it, and it doesn't say how to do it, just that you have to.

Okay, now you know I have done my homework, Could you now tell me what is up
with this.

;-)~

Greatly appreciated,
Dave Marden

Dave Marden 01-24-2004 12:39 AM

Re: Difference between Remote Desktop and Remote Desktop for Admin

How do I install Remote Desktop for Administrators?

Dave Marden

Tom Helms [MSFT] 01-24-2004 12:56 AM

Re: Difference between Remote Desktop and Remote Desktop for Admin

Remote desktop is used to connect to your XP computer--there's only 1
connection allowed to the XP OS. Remote desktop for administration referring
to connecting remotely to a server. 2 connections are allowed plus a
connection to console on a windows server 2003. From your command, type,
mstsc /? for the different switches to use.

--
Tom Helms [MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."Please
do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
purposes only."

Larry Samuels 01-24-2004 01:26 AM

Re: Difference between Remote Desktop and Remote Desktop for Admin

You can access the console session on XP pro as well--you just cannot have
concurrent users without some registry editing. Even then, the reg hack
requires XP SP2.

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
http://pelos.us/SERVER.htm

Tom Helms [MSFT] 01-24-2004 01:32 AM

Re: Difference between Remote Desktop and Remote Desktop for Admin

That's correct, Larry. In fact, that's the only type of connection in XP
pro.

--
Tom Helms [MSFT]

newsgroup purposes only."