Velocity Reviews

-   -   RFC's and acronyms (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t48272-rfcs-and-acronyms.html)

G. Orme 01-18-2004 05:09 PM

RFC's and acronyms

Are there many questions where you have to know the different RFC (Request
for Comment) numbers and what they are for? Also are there many questions
where you have to be able to say what various acronyms stand for, e.g. SNMP,
NAQC.

Rowdy Yates 01-18-2004 05:20 PM

Re: RFC's and acronyms

"G. Orme" <grego@harmakhis.org> wrote in
news:400abdd6$0$14479$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u:

> Are there many questions where you have to know the different RFC
> (Request for Comment) numbers and what they are for? Also are there
> many questions where you have to be able to say what various acronyms
> stand for, e.g. SNMP, NAQC.

i have taked 7 ms exams, and i honestly can't rememeber ever seeing any
question on RFC #'s and/or their meaning.

i dont remember any acronym questions either.

--
Rowdy Yates
I am Against-TCPA

RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT 01-18-2004 10:18 PM

Re: RFC's and acronyms

I agree with Rowdy (oh, the humanity!) about the RFC's. In some cases you
need to know what the acronym does, but not what it stands for. IMHO, take
it from this SOB FWIW, and hopefully you won't be SOL(FLW).

--
RL (BMF) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT
NorthEast Ohio

Rowdy Yates 01-18-2004 11:06 PM

Re: RFC's and acronyms

"RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT" <RLCoppedge@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I agree with Rowdy (oh, the humanity!)

hey, i am human!? go figure?

about the RFC's. In some cases
> you need to know what the acronym does, but not what it stands for.
> IMHO, take it from this SOB FWIW, and hopefully you won't be SOL(FLW).

i was referring specifically to Microsft exam's. I did CompTIA exam's, i
rememebr that they did have questions in the shape of "what does ABC stand
for?"

on a personal note, one of my superior "system admin" senior boss dudes
didn't know what MAC was short for when we were talking about NIC's and had
to ask me. i think that's kind of embarrasing. so, it's probably a good
idea to familiarize oneself with the most common RFC's, acronyms, ports
e.t.c... you don't want to be asking people if the field to teach you.

:-)
--
Rowdy Yates
I am Against-TCPA

G. Orme 01-19-2004 04:22 AM

Re: RFC's and acronyms

Thanks. Also how important is it to know what is on various menus. For
example if you were setting up an RRAS server you could find all of the
buttons with a bit of a search.

Do they ask things like is the X button on the Y menu or the Z menu, and is
it on the top or bottom of the menu?

news:Xns9474B821DD651rowdyyatesnospamlyco@207.46.2 48.16...

Japes 01-19-2004 09:51 AM

Re: RFC's and acronyms

I hate TLA's :-)

--
Regards

Japes
Have you found any Celestine Insights in your life yet?
When replying by email put STARWARS in the subject line, otherwise its
automatically deleted.

Rowdy Yates 01-19-2004 12:04 PM

Re: RFC's and acronyms

yes, there are questions on "menus". they are testing your knowledge of
microsoft products, so familiarity with what options and menus are
available with what product is vilid questioning material.

i highly recommend you get a evaluation copy of the server product,
create a test pc and do the stuff in the book in real life so you get
quasi-hands on experience.

"G. Orme" <grego@harmakhis.org> wrote in
news:400b5b87$0$16593$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u:

--
Rowdy Yates
I am Against-TCPA

Simon Geary 01-19-2004 04:33 PM

Re: RFC's and acronyms

You will need to know what RFC defines routers that can pass DHCP traffic
for some exams. Some questions talk of an RFC xxxx compliant router. Can't
remember which number it is though.

The RFC discussing DNS SRV records is also used in AD exams in the context
of what 3rd party DNS servers can be used with AD.

Dragon 01-19-2004 04:51 PM

Re: RFC's and acronyms

There is nothing wrong with not knowing something as long as you have the
courage to ask even if you ask someone who is a level below you (at the job
of course). ;-)