Velocity Reviews

-   -   how to output unresolved xinclude element (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t482319-how-to-output-unresolved-xinclude-element.html)

shaun roe 03-07-2007 04:09 PM

how to output unresolved xinclude element

I should like to use xslt to produce a document like the following:

<crate xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">
<rod id="0">
<slot>1</slot>
<xi:include href="./endcapA/disk/1a/10011.xml"/> <!--D1A TR
middles-->
<xi:include href="./endcapA/disk/1a/10012.xml"/> <!--D1A TR
middles-->
<xi:include href="./endcapA/disk/1a/10001.xml"/> <!--D1A TR
outers-->
<xi:include href="./endcapA/disk/1a/10002.xml"/> <!--D1A TR
outers-->
<xi:include href="./endcapA/disk/2a/20001.xml"/> <!--D2A TR
outers-->
<xi:include href="./endcapA/disk/2a/20002.xml"/> <!--D2A TR
outers-->
<xi:include href="./endcapA/disk/3a/30001.xml"/> <!--D3A TR
outers-->
<xi:include href="./endcapA/disk/3a/30002.xml"/> <!--D3A TR
outers-->
</rod>
</crate>

i.e. it should contain 'manufactured' unresolved xi:include elements.
How can I get my xsl to output such an element?

thanks

shaun

Joseph Kesselman 03-07-2007 04:14 PM

Re: how to output unresolved xinclude element

> i.e. it should contain 'manufactured' unresolved xi:include elements.
> How can I get my xsl to output such an element?

The simplest answer: http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#element-namespace-alias

An alternative is to construct the element explicitly using the
xsl:element directive.

Either will prevent the new element from being prematurely interpreted.

(These tricks are more often used when writing stylesheets that produce
stylesheets, but they're certainly applicable to this problem as well.)

shaun roe 03-07-2007 05:01 PM

Re: how to output unresolved xinclude element

The namespace-alias seems neat, but I get a bit of ugliness with it:

I declare my namespaces:

version="1.0" xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"
xmlns:xout="myAlias">

and my alias:

<xsl:namespace-alias stylesheet-prefix="xout" result-prefix="xi"/>

and then use it...

<xout:include href="concat($MurPathRoot,$diskpath,'/',xmlMur) "/>

and sure enough all my elements come out ok:

<xout:include href="./endcapA/disk/1a/10301"/>

but the root document element is:

<configuration xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"
xmlns:xout="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">

i.e. its declared both the original xi: and my xout: ... is this
expected?

thanks

shaun

Joseph Kesselman 03-07-2007 06:36 PM

shaun roe wrote:
> i.e. its declared both the original xi: and my xout: ... is this
> expected?

There's a similar directive which lets you suppress namespace
declarations that aren't in use. See the spec and/or Kay's book, or wait
a few hours for me to get around to looking it up.

Joe Kesselman 03-08-2007 01:26 AM

Joseph Kesselman wrote:
> There's a similar directive which lets you suppress namespace
> declarations that aren't in use. See the spec and/or Kay's book, or wait
> a few hours for me to get around to looking it up.

Since you waited: What you want is the exclude-result-prefixes attribute
of the xsl:stylesheet element. It's described in
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-Cr...and-Attributes

Richard Tobin 03-08-2007 02:02 AM

Re: how to output unresolved xinclude element

In article <Y-2dna_HcKK5-3LYnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@comcast.com>,
Joe Kesselman <keshlam-nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

>> There's a similar directive which lets you suppress namespace
>> declarations that aren't in use. See the spec and/or Kay's book, or wait
>> a few hours for me to get around to looking it up.

>Since you waited: What you want is the exclude-result-prefixes attribute
>of the xsl:stylesheet element. It's described in
>http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-Cr...and-Attributes

I think this won't necessarily do quite the right thing in this case.
Despite its name, exclude-result-prefixes specifies a namespace uri to
be excluded, not a prefix. Since in this case he does need the
xinclude namespace, he may well still get a spurious xout prefix
declared somewhere.

-- Richard
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.

Joe Kesselman 03-08-2007 03:10 AM

Richard Tobin wrote:
> I think this won't necessarily do quite the right thing in this case.
> Despite its name, exclude-result-prefixes specifies a namespace uri to
> be excluded, not a prefix. Since in this case he does need the
> xinclude namespace, he may well still get a spurious xout prefix
> declared somewhere.

In the implementation I'm familiar with (Xalan), it should do the right
thing, because it's take as a request not to issue any declarations for
prefixes bound to that URI except those which are actually used by an
element or attribute. But while that's a reasonable interpretation It
may not be the only one... Best suggestion I can make is to try it and
see what happens.

If it doesn't work -- well, an unused namespace declaration really is
pretty harmless.

shaun roe 03-08-2007 07:22 AM

Re: how to output unresolved xinclude element

In article <H7adnZoSmoo_43LYnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@comcast.com>,
Joe Kesselman <keshlam-nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

> Richard Tobin wrote:
> > I think this won't necessarily do quite the right thing in this case.
> > Despite its name, exclude-result-prefixes specifies a namespace uri to
> > be excluded, not a prefix. Since in this case he does need the
> > xinclude namespace, he may well still get a spurious xout prefix
> > declared somewhere.

> In the implementation I'm familiar with (Xalan), it should do the right
> thing, because it's take as a request not to issue any declarations for
> prefixes bound to that URI except those which are actually used by an
> element or attribute. But while that's a reasonable interpretation It
> may not be the only one... Best suggestion I can make is to try it and
> see what happens.
>
> If it doesn't work -- well, an unused namespace declaration really is
> pretty harmless.

I did indeed try this as a first move, and as Richard Tobin has said, it
did not suppress the declaration. (using Saxon) I can live with two
declarations of the namespace, its just not as neat as I'd hoped.

In fact, give that both namespaces are declared anyway in the output, I
found I can reverse the alias/output assignation:

version="1.0" xmlns:x="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"
xmlns:xi="myAlias">

..
..
..

<xi:include href="concat($MurPathRoot,$diskpath,'/',xmlMur) "/>

and get, as output:

<configuration xmlns:x="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"
xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">
..
..
..
..
<xi:include href="./endcapA/disk/2a/20302"/>

which leaves my end users looking at the familiar <xi:include .../>,
which I suspect they will be happier with.

thanks for the help

shaun