Velocity Reviews

-   -   nice? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t482302-nice.html)

robert 03-07-2007 03:20 PM

nice?

has anyone experienced the new Fritzbox 7170?

How does it work?

Thanks

Desk Rabbit 03-07-2007 05:34 PM

Re: nice?

robert wrote:
> has anyone experienced the new Fritzbox 7170?
>
> How does it work?

It uses electricity I believe. The cold fusion version is due out next week.

robert 03-07-2007 05:45 PM

Re: nice?

> It uses electricity I believe. The cold fusion version is due out next week.

hehehehehhee...... :o)

apart the fusion, how does the system in a whole work?

thnaks

Ivor Jones 03-07-2007 06:05 PM

Re: nice?

"robert" <centro.gamma@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1173289510.493101.3100@s48g2000cws.googlegrou ps.com
> > It uses electricity I believe. The cold fusion version
> > is due out next week.

> hehehehehhee...... :o)
>
> apart the fusion, how does the system in a whole work?
>
> thnaks

The Fritz!Box range as a whole are very good, you can have up to 10 SIP
accounts and depending on the model up to 3 analogue phone sockets. The
7170 is at the moment only available in Annex B for Germany, it can't be
used in the UK where we require Annex A equipment. The top of the range at
the moment as far as the UK market goes is the 7140, but it only has 2
phone ports and I require 3, so I am awaiting the 7170 for the UK, but I'm
told it won't be until next year sometime :-(

See www.avm.de/en for more info on the range. I can thoroughly recommend
them, I have been using the base model for over a year with no problems.

Ivor

Andy Lord 03-07-2007 08:19 PM

Re: nice?

On Mar 7, 6:05 pm, "Ivor Jones" <i...@despammed.invalid> wrote:
> "robert" <centro.ga...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1173289510.493101.3100@s48g2000cws.googlegrou ps.com
>
> > > It uses electricity I believe. The cold fusion version
> > > is due out next week.

> > hehehehehhee...... :o)

> > apart the fusion, how does the system in a whole work?

> > thnaks

> The Fritz!Box range as a whole are very good, you can have up to 10 SIP
> accounts and depending on the model up to 3 analogue phone sockets. The
> 7170 is at the moment only available in Annex B for Germany, it can't be
> used in the UK where we require Annex A equipment. The top of the range at
> the moment as far as the UK market goes is the 7140, but it only has 2
> phone ports and I require 3, so I am awaiting the 7170 for the UK, but I'm
> told it won't be until next year sometime :-(

I'd have thought that the 7050, with 3 phone ports, was the 'top of
the range'. What are the advantages of the 7140 over the 7050?

--

Andy

Brian A 03-07-2007 09:17 PM

Re: nice?

On 7 Mar 2007 12:19:21 -0800, "Andy Lord" <andy.lord.uk@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mar 7, 6:05 pm, "Ivor Jones" <i...@despammed.invalid> wrote:
>> "robert" <centro.ga...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:1173289510.493101.3100@s48g2000cws.googlegrou ps.com

>> > hehehehehhee...... :o)

>> > apart the fusion, how does the system in a whole work?

>> > thnaks

>> The Fritz!Box range as a whole are very good, you can have up to 10 SIP
>> accounts and depending on the model up to 3 analogue phone sockets. The
>> 7170 is at the moment only available in Annex B for Germany, it can't be
>> used in the UK where we require Annex A equipment. The top of the range at
>> the moment as far as the UK market goes is the 7140, but it only has 2
>> phone ports and I require 3, so I am awaiting the 7170 for the UK, but I'm
>> told it won't be until next year sometime :-(

>I'd have thought that the 7050, with 3 phone ports, was the 'top of
>the range'. What are the advantages of the 7140 over the 7050?

4 LAN connections but only 2 phone ports.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Ivor Jones 03-08-2007 12:49 AM

Re: nice?

"Andy Lord" <andy.lord.uk@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1173298761.296597.174070@t69g2000cwt.googlegr oups.com
> On Mar 7, 6:05 pm, "Ivor Jones" <i...@despammed.invalid>
> wrote:
> > "robert" <centro.ga...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > news:1173289510.493101.3100@s48g2000cws.googlegrou ps.com

> > > hehehehehhee...... :o)

> > > apart the fusion, how does the system in a whole work?

> > > thnaks

> > The Fritz!Box range as a whole are very good, you can
> > have up to 10 SIP accounts and depending on the model
> > up to 3 analogue phone sockets. The 7170 is at the
> > moment only available in Annex B for Germany, it can't
> > be used in the UK where we require Annex A equipment.
> > The top of the range at the moment as far as the UK
> > market goes is the 7140, but it only has 2 phone ports
> > and I require 3, so I am awaiting the 7170 for the UK,
> > but I'm told it won't be until next year sometime :-(

> I'd have thought that the 7050, with 3 phone ports, was
> the 'top of the range'. What are the advantages of the
> 7140 over the 7050?

Differences largely as follows:

7050 - 2 LAN ports, 1 USB (computer) port, 3 phone ports (1 of which is
wired rather than an RJ11 socket). It also has a port that can connect to
an ISDN line.

7140 - 4 LAN ports and the USB port is a host for connecting a printer or
external hard drive rather than a computer. Only 2 phone ports, no ISDN.

7170 (not available in Annex A as yet) - 4 LAN ports, 3 phone ports, ISDN
port, USB host port - in other words the best of both the above, which is
why I'm waiting..!

Ivor

robert 03-08-2007 04:41 PM

Re: nice?

On Mar 7, 7:49 pm, "Ivor Jones" <i...@despammed.invalid> wrote:
> "Andy Lord" <andy.lord...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1173298761.296597.174070@t69g2000cwt.googlegr oups.com
>

> > On Mar 7, 6:05 pm, "Ivor Jones" <i...@despammed.invalid>
> > wrote:
> > > "robert" <centro.ga...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > >news:1173289510.493101.3100@s48g2000cws.googlegro ups.com

> > > The Fritz!Box range as a whole are very good, you can
> > > have up to 10 SIP accounts and depending on the model
> > > up to 3 analogue phone sockets. The 7170 is at the
> > > moment only available in Annex B for Germany, it can't
> > > be used in the UK where we require Annex A equipment.
> > > The top of the range at the moment as far as the UK
> > > market goes is the 7140, but it only has 2 phone ports
> > > and I require 3, so I am awaiting the 7170 for the UK,
> > > but I'm told it won't be until next year sometime :-(

> > I'd have thought that the 7050, with 3 phone ports, was
> > the 'top of the range'. What are the advantages of the
> > 7140 over the 7050?

> Differences largely as follows:
>
> 7050 - 2 LAN ports, 1 USB (computer) port, 3 phone ports (1 of which is
> wired rather than an RJ11 socket). It also has a port that can connect to
> an ISDN line.
>
> 7140 - 4 LAN ports and the USB port is a host for connecting a printer or
> external hard drive rather than a computer. Only 2 phone ports, no ISDN.
>
> 7170 (not available in Annex A as yet) - 4 LAN ports, 3 phone ports, ISDN
> port, USB host port - in other words the best of both the above, which is
> why I'm waiting..!
>
> Ivor

in case i need just a phone adapter, with 3 analogic ports, the 7050
would be the right one?

Andy Lord 03-08-2007 06:40 PM

Re: nice?

On Mar 8, 4:41 pm, "robert" <centro.ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 7, 7:49 pm, "Ivor Jones" <i...@despammed.invalid> wrote:
>

> > "Andy Lord" <andy.lord...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >news:1173298761.296597.174070@t69g2000cwt.googleg roups.com

> > > I'd have thought that the 7050, with 3 phone ports, was
> > > the 'top of the range'. What are the advantages of the
> > > 7140 over the 7050?

> > Differences largely as follows:

> > 7050 - 2 LAN ports, 1 USB (computer) port, 3 phone ports (1 of which is
> > wired rather than an RJ11 socket). It also has a port that can connect to
> > an ISDN line.

> > 7140 - 4 LAN ports and the USB port is a host for connecting a printer or
> > external hard drive rather than a computer. Only 2 phone ports, no ISDN.

> > 7170 (not available in Annex A as yet) - 4 LAN ports, 3 phone ports, ISDN
> > port, USB host port - in other words the best of both the above, which is
> > why I'm waiting..!

> > Ivor

> in case i need just a phone adapter, with 3 analogic ports, the 7050
> would be the right one?- Hide quoted text -

It works fine, be aware though that the 3rd port is hard-wired as Ivor
mentioned. It works fine screwed to the wall with the wires leading
straight into a junction box but I'm not so sure how it would fare if
it was on a desk or shelf for example.

It also functions as a very useful 3 line PBX, albeit with fairly
limited features. I particularly like the call blocking feature which
sends blacklisted numbers an engaged tone.

--

Andy

Herman 03-08-2007 10:39 PM

Re: nice?

"robert" <centro.gamma@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1173372099.917380.205500@c51g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
> On Mar 7, 7:49 pm, "Ivor Jones" <i...@despammed.invalid> wrote:
>> "Andy Lord" <andy.lord...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:1173298761.296597.174070@t69g2000cwt.googlegr oups.com

>> > I'd have thought that the 7050, with 3 phone ports, was
>> > the 'top of the range'. What are the advantages of the
>> > 7140 over the 7050?

>> Differences largely as follows:
>>
>> 7050 - 2 LAN ports, 1 USB (computer) port, 3 phone ports (1 of which is
>> wired rather than an RJ11 socket). It also has a port that can connect to
>> an ISDN line.
>>
>> 7140 - 4 LAN ports and the USB port is a host for connecting a printer or
>> external hard drive rather than a computer. Only 2 phone ports, no ISDN.
>>
>> 7170 (not available in Annex A as yet) - 4 LAN ports, 3 phone ports, ISDN
>> port, USB host port - in other words the best of both the above, which is
>> why I'm waiting..!
>>
>> Ivor

> in case i need just a phone adapter, with 3 analogic ports, the 7050
> would be the right one?

Absolutely. Do remember though that if you are on cable, you will have to
use one of the LAN ports as a WAN port instead on any of the FritzBoxes.

It functions adequately for what I want although you do need to wire in the
third socket.