Velocity Reviews

-   -   Microsoft vs Google (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t482096-microsoft-vs-google.html)

- Bobb - 03-06-2007 08:25 PM

Microsoft vs Google

I got a chuckle from
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...tgoogle06.html
which reports that Microsoft is accusing Google of "stealing" without a company's permission.
I can see maybe 'using withiout permission' - but "stealing" ? Microsoft accusing anyone of stealing is a farce.
You mean like Windows - from Apple ?
Or Media Player from Realplayer ?
Messenger from AOL AIM ?
Firefox - I mean IE7 ?
How about when you met with STAK and once you learned how they compacted a disk, you then dropped the agreement letting them sue you ? Yeah it cost you a few bucks to litigate/settle, but like all of the other times, they went away and you had all the toys. Now THAT's stealing !
MSFT hasn't had an original idea since ..... anyone ???

To cite
http://www.internetoutsider.com/2007...oft_sharp.html
" ... Based on what the speech by Thomas Rubin, Microsoft's associate general counsel, says, it might as well have been titled: "How Google Intends to Put You Out of Business, and How Microsoft Can Help.... To those who watched Microsoft work its competition-annihilating magic in the 1990s, the speech is hilarious for its role reversal... Microsoft doesn't give a damn about the Association of American Publishers (or, for that matter, any other established business or "fair use" practice). The only thing Microsoft cares about is Microsoft, and now that Google has officially added "crush Office" to the corporate "To Do" list, Microsoft no longer needs to hold back. ..."

j1mb0jay 03-06-2007 08:33 PM

Re: Microsoft vs Google

"- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message news:1bCdnc63q6--U3DYnZ2dnUVZ_rmdnZ2d@comcast.com...
[...]

I believe that Microsoft are going to fall soonish, worth a read !!!

--
Regards JJ (UWA)

Travis 03-07-2007 02:09 AM

Re: Microsoft vs Google

Windows came first.

Media player is way better than realplayer

AOL is crap, so is messenger

IE came before FireFox, what do you expect microsoft to do? Continue with IE 6 forever?

Mr. Arnold 03-07-2007 05:04 AM

Re: Microsoft vs Google

j1mb0jay wrote:

<snipped>

> I believe that Microsoft are going to fall soonish, worth a read !!!

Neither one of you really know what's happening do you. This is just a
sampling

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...er_survey.html

Companies large and small are slobbering all over it.
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/sharepoint/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_...Infrastructure

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

http://www.dotnetlanguages.net/DNL/Resources.aspx

In addition to this, .Net is more than just about Web solutions too.

MS is not going anywhere in your life time.

- Bobb - 03-08-2007 03:58 AM

Re: Microsoft vs Google

=======================================
> "Travis" <trav1085@gmail.com> wrote in message news:45ee20fe$0$23493$baae4c71@news.mindlink.net.. .

> Windows came first.

Excuse me - in Dec, 1983, Apple Computers ran its' famous "1984" Macintosh television commercial.

See http://members.fortunecity.com/pcmuseum/windows.htm ...
Apple hired MSFT to write the code for the MAC as Jobs thought is was Gates+Jobs vs IBM.
Microsoft announced Windows in November 1983, Windows 1.0 hit the store shelves in November 1985.
Do you remember Windows 1.0 ? It was a 3 line DOS based menu - not a GUI based pc.
See link above and you'll see that Windows 3.0, was released in May, 1990

> Media player is way better than realplayer

My point was/is not that their product is better/worse , just that they never came UP with an original idea. They copy/refine. They can reverse engineer anything. To rephrase... were it not for Realplayer there would have been no Media Player - THAT's my point. Other folks invest their lives creating/developing/refining an app/product. It hits the store shelves and Microsoft copies it and undercuts the price. So the Realplayer investors can now blow their nose with the stock certificate.

Netscape USED to cost $39.95 - for 2 years they owned the internet browser. At MSFT, finally after everyone there was screaming at Gates to get on the bandwagon , they came out with IE and bundled it for free with Windows. MSFT's contention is that since they "give it away" with the OS for the betterment of mankind. Pleeeeease : does ANYONE believe that ?
They give it away until the creator of the product ( ie their competition) goes out of business - period.

Sony Playstation was a big hit - bingo - XBOX.
I've seen Steve Ballmer say on TV that they were/are losing money ( about $100) on every XBOX. Remember when PS cost $300+ ? Sony had to lower prices and lose money too. The MSFT marketing plan is to lose money on every box they sell until they get mass market share from Sony / Nintendo. ( Ideally putting them out of business too - my words not his) THEN they can raise prices on the games. How can anyone compete with that plan ? But it should be antitrust.
It would be like Ford selling cars for $5000 until they are the only auto company left in the world and then raising the prices.

> AOL is crap, so is messenger

Again - my point is merely that messenger is a copy of someone else's idea. AOL came out with it . It caught on - MSFT copied it. Which is why it is ironic that THEY are accusing ANYONE of benefiting from the work of others.

> IE came before FireFox, what do you expect microsoft to do? Continue with IE 6 forever?

See netscape mention above.

Don't get me wrong - MSFT is a great MARKETING machine: but it's not a provider of innovation.
http://inventors.about.com/od/mstart.../Windows_2.htm
Microsoft wrote the licensing agreement to include use of Apple features in Microsoft Windows version 1.0 and all future Microsoft software programs. As it turned out, this move by Bill Gates was as brilliant as his decision to buy QDOS from Seattle Computer Products and his convincing IBM to let Microsoft keep the licensing rights to MS-DOS.

Mr. Arnold 03-08-2007 09:49 AM

Re: Microsoft vs Google

- Bobb - wrote:

<snipped>

In the meantime, the Sun comes up in the morning, the Moon comes up at
night, the world turns, life goes on and it's called business. Business
is business.

There is nothing you can do about it, other than, sit up in some NG
making some kind of ridiculous post about it and whining.

That's all I see here is bunch of bitcing and whining, get a life.