Velocity Reviews

-   -   2K3 Terminal Server CAL (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t48147-2k3-terminal-server-cal.html)

Darth 2000 01-08-2004 12:52 PM

2K3 Terminal Server CAL

Just finished installing 2K3 Eval as I'm starting 2K3 MCSE soon.
I installed Terminal Server and want to get it up and running for testing.
Is there some Eval license that can be used here, or must it be purchased
even for Eval?
Thanks.

---------------
Darth 2000

Christopher J. Beasley 01-08-2004 01:24 PM

Re: 2K3 Terminal Server CAL

It will automatically grant you a timebomb license for 90 or 120 days (
forget which, but I believe it's 90) to play with terminal services. Enjoy.

Christopher Beasley

Marko 01-08-2004 01:30 PM

2K3 Terminal Server CAL

You can install two modes:

Administrative mode allows administrators to log in and
operate almost as if they were actually on the machine.
Was designed as a remote administration tool.

Application Mode allows users who have terminal services
access in their profile to log in and operate virtual
sessions on the server. Applications such as Office may
be made available and the processing power comes from the
server, not the client. Installation will require that
you install a licensing server and that you obtain license
keys within 90 days. This might be enough time for you to
try the product out in any case?

Darth 2000 01-08-2004 01:36 PM

Re: 2K3 Terminal Server CAL

Thanks Chris. Time bomb is 120.

--
---------------
Darth 2000

Politician Spock 01-08-2004 01:44 PM

Re: 2K3 Terminal Server CAL

"Darth 2000" <hasan@uh.com.au> wrote in message
> Just finished installing 2K3 Eval as I'm starting 2K3 MCSE soon.
> I installed Terminal Server and want to get it up and running for testing.
> Is there some Eval license that can be used here, or must it be purchased
> even for Eval?
> Thanks.
>
> ---------------
> Darth 2000

Depends on which mode you chose when you installed Terminal Server.

Remote Administration Mode requires no TS CALs or licensing server, but only
members of the Admin group can connect remotely, and only 2 at a time.

Application Mode allows non-admin accounts to connect remotely and is
unlimited, but for it to function in production you have to setup a Terminal
Server Licensing Server and possibly install TS CALs for it to distribute.
Once Terminal Server is installed in Application mode you have 45 days to
setup your licensing before the server denies connections to users.

--
Politician Spock
MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

2003 Star Trek Federation. All rights reserved.

cadman 01-08-2004 01:52 PM

Re: 2K3 Terminal Server CAL

Go to Start>Add or Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components, then
select and install Terminal Server. There is no option for "Administrative
mode".

From the Windows 2003 Server help:

Terminal server role: Configuring a terminal serverConfigure this computer
as a terminal server by installing the Terminal Server component, which
provides centralized deployment of applications.

Using a terminal server, users in remote locations can run programs, save
files, and use network resources as though those resources were installed on
the users' own computers. By installing programs on a terminal server, you
can ensure that all users are using the same version of a program. If you
plan to use this computer to allow multiple users to access a program at the
same time from a single point of installation, configure this computer as a
terminal server.

However, if you plan to use this computer for remote administration on
Windows Server 2003 operating systems, you do not need to install Terminal
Server. Instead, you can use Remote Desktop for Administration (formerly
Terminal Services in Remote Administration mode), which is installed by
default on computers running one of the Windows Server 2003 operating
systems. After you enable remote connections, Remote Desktop for
Administration allows you to remotely manage servers from any client over a
LAN, WAN, or dial-up connection. Up to two remote sessions, plus the console
session, can be accessed at the same time, without requiring Terminal Server
Licensing.

Politician Spock 01-08-2004 02:13 PM

Re: 2K3 Terminal Server CAL

"cadman" <cadman@examsnotes.net> wrote in message
> Go to Start>Add or Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components, then
> select and install Terminal Server. There is no option for

"Administrative
> mode".

When you click OK to install your selection, it will prompt you for which
mode you want.

cadman 01-08-2004 02:19 PM

Re: 2K3 Terminal Server CAL

I went through it before I posted. My Windows 2003 Server Enterprise
Edition doesn't prompt you for which mode.

"Politician Spock" <rhammersmith@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "cadman" <cadman@examsnotes.net> wrote in message
> > Go to Start>Add or Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components, then
> > select and install Terminal Server. There is no option for

> "Administrative
> > mode".
> >

> When you click OK to install your selection, it will prompt you for which
> mode you want.
>
> --
> Politician Spock
> MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15
> The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

rights.

Politician Spock 01-08-2004 02:31 PM

Re: 2K3 Terminal Server CAL

> I went through it before I posted. My Windows 2003 Server Enterprise
> Edition doesn't prompt you for which mode.

It's worked that way for every Windows server I've ever installed it on. But
I can't say I have specifically installed it on 2003 Enterprise.

cadman 01-08-2004 02:37 PM

Re: 2K3 Terminal Server CAL

You are right about previous Server Systems. However, the administrative
mode has been ripped out and is now seperate as Remote Desktop in 2K3
Server. Installing Terminal Services is now just Application Mode. You now
have "both" modes at the same time.