Velocity Reviews

-   -   Best Printer To Buy? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t481189-best-printer-to-buy.html)

Heidi Manway 02-17-2007 08:19 PM

Best Printer To Buy?

Hi I am in the market to buy a Printer with low running costs I am
trying to research it first "look before you leap" so to speak
I have looked up some Consumer Research which is supposed to be
independent.
Canon seems to be the preferred brand, I have heard stories about
Canon Printer Technical Support been very bad and its expensive too
calling Premium Rate telephone lines.(Amazon.com customer reviews)

As for Consumables ink cartridge running costs none of these are
"chipped" like Epson Printers?

Which Printer of the following is the newest most recent to hit the
High Street?

One Sales rep suggested I go with Canon Pixma IP6700D
Price: 150
Score: 68% What does everyone here think from personal experiences if
any?

Thanks,

Heidi

(1) Printers review
Canon Pixma iP4200
Price: 70 UK sterling
Score: 73%

BEST BUY
The Canon Pimxa iP4200 is a great all round printer producing
fantastic quality plain text documents as well as photographs and
graphics. It prints quickly and quietly, and we found it easy to set
up and use.

Plain text documents from this machine were described as 'very sharp
and clean' by our testers, and they didn't take long to print either -
just 38 seconds for a five page letter. Start up times were also
really impressive for this model it took only 14 seconds from turning
on to print one page of plain text on A4 paper.

The quality of photographs produced from this device were great
although speeds were only average - it took 172 seconds to print one
side of A4. Likewise desk top publishing printouts were good and we'd
recommend this machine if you frequently print newsletters and
birthday cards.

This model is PictBridge enabled, so you can connect your PictBridge
enabled digital camera directly to the printer using a special USB
cable and print photos without having to turn your computer on.

There's also a second paper tray, which you could choose to load with
photo paper, so you don't have to keep switching the paper over.
However, there aren't any memory card slots.

When it comes to running costs you won't be disappointed as this Best
Buy Canon is cheap as chips for consumption costs.

Pros: Good quality printouts. Low running costs. Second paper tray.

Cons: Doesn't accept memory cards
************************************************** *************************
(2) Printers review
Canon Pixma IP5200
Price: 127
Score: 77%

BEST BUY
This Best Buy inkjet from Canon is a great all rounder printer - it
produces really good quality printouts in all our tests, and speeds
were also impressive. It's really easy to use and versatile too.

Standard black and white printouts hit the spot with our testers who
described them as 'very sharp and clean'. This printer wasn't let down
by speed either, managing to produce five pages of A4 in a mere 36
seconds.

Photo printing was also very good although we noticed that skin tones
tended to look a little red, however, we don't think you'd notice this
if weren't comparing them with other photos. Speed was also impressive
- it only took 94 seconds to print one A4 photograph - which is one of
the quickest times we've seen.

Our testers were particularly impressed with the way this model
handled documents produced in desk top publishing packages. It took
only 135 seconds to print one side of A4 containing graphs, photos and
colour text, but the quality wasn't compromised at all. Our testers
described it as an 'excellent performance' with 'excellent photos'.

This model is PictBridge enabled, so you can connect your PictBridge
enabled digital camera directly to the printer using a special USB
cable and print photos without having to turn your computer on.
However, there aren't any memory card slots.

Pros: Good quality printouts in all tests. Quick. PictBridge enabled.
(3) Printers review
Canon Pixma IP5200R
Price: 127
Score: 77%

BEST BUY
This Best Buy inkjet from Canon is a great all rounder printer - it
produces really good quality printouts in all our tests, and speeds
were also impressive. It's really easy to use and very versatile.

Standard black and white printouts hit the spot with our testers who
described them as 'very sharp and clean'. This printer wasn't let down
by speed either, managing to produce five pages of A4 in a mere 36
seconds.

Photo printing was also very good although we noticed that skin tones
tended to look a little red, however, we don't think you'd notice this
if you viewed the pictures in isolation. Speed was very impressive
here it only took 94 seconds to print one A4 photograph - which is one
of the quickest inkjet times we've seen.

One of the most exciting things about this machine is that it's
designed to work with a wireless network. So if you've got several
computers on a wireless network at home they can all be easily
connected to this machine so you can print without cables.

This model is PictBridge enabled, which means you can connect your
PictBridge enabled digital camera directly to the printer using a
special USB cable and print photos without having to turn your
computer on. However, there aren't any memory card slots.

Pros: Good quality printouts in all tests. Quick. PictBridge enabled.
Great for wireless networks.

Cons: No memory card slots.
************************************************** ************************
Cons: No memory card slots
************************************************** *************************
(4) Canon Pixma IP6600D
Price: 120
Score: 72%

BEST BUY
The Canon iP6600D is a great inkjet printer, particularly when it
comes to producing good quality documents that combine both images and
colour photographs. Text quality isn't the greatest but it's still
adequate.

When it comes to printing everyday documents such as letters this
machine isn't brilliant: our testers noticed that there was some
bleeding on the text. It was pretty speedy though; it took just 89
seconds to print a five page document.

This machine is primarily designed for printing photos, it has an LCD
screen and accepts a good range of memory cards including: Compact
Flash, Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Smart Media, Memory Stick and
xD card. This model also supports PictBridge, so you can print
directly from your digital camera using a special type of USB cable
without having to download your pictures to computer first.

We were impressed with the quality of photos that this Canon produced,
they were good although they missed out on the top score because our
testers some of the pictures were a little orangey red, you probably
wouldn't notice if you weren't comparing the photos with others
though.

This Canon produced some of the best results for printing documents
produced in a desk top publishing package that we've seen. Out testers
described the printouts as very strong, clear and crisp. So if you
produce a newsletter for a local club this printer is certainly worth
considering.

Pros: Colour LCD screen. Prints directly from memory card. PictBridge
enabled. Good quality desk top publishing documents.

Cons: Slightly disappointing results when printing plain-text
documents
(5) Canon Pixma IP6700D
Price: 150
Score: 68%

BEST BUY
The Canon iP6700D is a great inkjet printer, particularly when it
comes to producing good quality documents that combine both images and
colour photographs.

Text quality isn't the greatest but it's still adequate. When it comes
to printing everyday documents such as letters this machine isn't
brilliant: our testers noticed that there was some bleeding on the
text.

It was pretty speedy though; it took just 79 seconds to print a five
page document. This is about ten seconds quicker than the older Canon
Pixma iP6600D from the same range. This machine is primarily designed
for printing photos, it has an LCD screen and accepts a good range of
memory cards including: Compact Flash, Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard,
Smart Media, Memory Stick and xD card.

It also supports PictBridge, so you can print directly from your
digital camera using a special type of USB cable without having to
download your pictures to computer first. There's also a handy photo
index print option. We were impressed with the quality of photos that
this Canon produced, they were good although they missed out on the
top score because our testers found some of the pictures were a little
orangey.

This Canon produced some of the best results for printing documents
produced in a desk top publishing package that we've seen. Out testers
described the printouts as very punchy, clear and clean. So if you
produce a newsletter for a local club this printer is certainly worth
considering.

Pros: Colour LCD screen. Prints directly from memory card. PictBridge
enabled. Good quality desk top publishing documents

Cons: Average results when printing plain-text documents.

(6) Printers review
Dell 3010cn
Price: 392
Score: 67%

BEST BUY
The Dell 3010cn colour laser printer really impressed our testers with
high quality text and desk top publishing documents and reasonably
lifelike photos.

Plain text documents, such as letters, are of a very high quality and
they don't take long to produce either - it took just 22 seconds to
print a five page letter. Laser printers often take a while to warm up
when printing the first page of a document but this Dell is reasonably
quick at just 9 seconds.

The quality of desk top publishing documents from this machine was
good; our testers noted that the images were sharp although there was
some visible dithering - the technical term that describes an
imperfection where you can see patterns in the printing, which stops
images from looking life-like.

Running costs for laser printers are generally a lot lower than those
for inkjet printers. The Dell 3010cn is no exception print costs were
very low for plain text documents, and even for colour graphics
documents.

Pros: Very quick, low running costs, good colour documents.

Cons: As with all laser printers we don't recommend you use this
machine to print photos.
************************************************** ************************

ellis_jay 02-17-2007 10:17 PM

Re: Best Printer To Buy?

Heidi Manway wrote:
> Hi I am in the market to buy a Printer with low running costs I am
> trying to research it first > Thanks,
>
> Heidi

What will be its primary function? Obtuse? Well, I mean, what are you
gonna use it for and what do you need it to do? I mean I got a HP all-in
one 41 -somethng or- other and it works fine here at home for me and da
family.............

--

When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

Ellis_Jay

Shel-hed 02-17-2007 10:38 PM

Re: Best Printer To Buy?

On 17 Feb 2007 12:19:12 -0800, "Heidi Manway" <heidimanway@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi I am in the market to buy a Printer with low running costs I am
>trying to research it first "look before you leap" so to speak

The best for low running cost is no printer at all; Use a local small business.
Home printers are for making them money, not for saving you money.
If you need to print a lot on short notice, then get a quality laser printer.

Alfred 02-17-2007 10:49 PM

Re: Best Printer To Buy?

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 22:38:11 GMT, Shel-hed <mush-hed@privacy.net>
wrote:

>On 17 Feb 2007 12:19:12 -0800, "Heidi Manway" <heidimanway@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi I am in the market to buy a Printer with low running costs I am
>>trying to research it first "look before you leap" so to speak

>The best for low running cost is no printer at all; Use a local small business.
>Home printers are for making them money, not for saving you money.
>If you need to print a lot on short notice, then get a quality laser printer.

I had to produce a set of end of year reports for a management
committee. 40 copies of about 20 pages. It was cheaper to buy a 200
epson printer and a couple of reams of quality paper and binders than
put the job out to a commercial printer. And we still had the printer
afterwards.

SgtMinor 02-17-2007 11:03 PM

Re: Best Printer To Buy?

Heidi Manway wrote:
> [...]
> print a five page letter. Laser printers often take a while to warm up
> when printing the first page of a document but this Dell is reasonably
> quick at just 9 seconds.
>
> The quality of desk top publishing documents from this machine was
> good; our testers noted that the images were sharp although there was
> some visible dithering - the technical term that describes an
> imperfection where you can see patterns in the printing, which stops
> images from looking life-like.
>
> Running costs for laser printers are generally a lot lower than those
> for inkjet printers. The Dell 3010cn is no exception print costs were
> very low for plain text documents, and even for colour graphics
> documents.
>
> Pros: Very quick, low running costs, good colour documents.
>
> Cons: As with all laser printers we don't recommend you use this

I've been very happy with Canon printers. I don't print a lot of
photographs but those I have printed have looked very good. My main
reason for buying Canon has been that the print head is a printer
component, and not part of the cartridge. As a result, replacement
cartridges for my IP6000d are dirt cheap - less than a dollar apiece.

Bob B 02-17-2007 11:04 PM

Re: Best Printer To Buy?

Always buy epson printers...I have used them for years and you can buy
compatible cartridges chipped or unchipped almost anywhere for a very low
cost!!

BB
news:1171743552.076566.202350@k78g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

WhzzKdd 02-18-2007 12:36 AM

Re: Best Printer To Buy?

Alfred wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 22:38:11 GMT, Shel-hed <mush-hed@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 17 Feb 2007 12:19:12 -0800, "Heidi Manway"
>> <heidimanway@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi I am in the market to buy a Printer with low running costs I am
>>> trying to research it first "look before you leap" so to speak

>> The best for low running cost is no printer at all; Use a local
>> small business. Home printers are for making them money, not for
>> saving you money.
>> If you need to print a lot on short notice, then get a quality laser
>> printer.

> I had to produce a set of end of year reports for a management
> committee. 40 copies of about 20 pages. It was cheaper to buy a 200
> epson printer and a couple of reams of quality paper and binders than
> put the job out to a commercial printer. And we still had the printer
> afterwards.

That's a fact. The price book where I work is 64 pages, double-sided,
collated, three hole punch, and stapled. I run as many as 400 copies at a
time, and it's cheaper to use our in-house printer than paying the local
commercial companies, even factoring in my time as well as the printer
expenses. ('Course, if they paid me more, that might change <g>!)

Evan Platt 02-18-2007 01:26 AM

Re: Best Printer To Buy?

wrote:

>Hi I am in the market to buy a Printer with low running costs I am
>trying to research it first "look before you leap" so to speak
>I have looked up some Consumer Research which is supposed to be
>independent.

Oh boy here we go again.

From: "Heidi Manway" <heidimanway@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Fax Machine Whats The Best Deal?
Date: 30 Nov 2006 05:29:10 -0800

"I am looking for a good quality fax machine for home use a
multifunctional machine with Printer would be acceptable too which
Brand and Model should I go for?"

Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Best Printer All Rounder For Home Use
Date: 30 Nov 2006 05:38:21 -0800

How many ****ing times do you ask the same question??

Jesus...

Fred 02-18-2007 06:05 AM

Re: Best Printer To Buy?

> On 17 Feb 2007 12:19:12 -0800, "Heidi Manway" <heidimanway@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi I am in the market to buy a Printer with low running costs I am
>>trying to research it first "look before you leap" so to speak
>>I have looked up some Consumer Research which is supposed to be
>>independent.

I bought a Canon IP 3000 a couple of years ago. Only printer I've ever had
that hasn't driven me round the bend. It's brilliant in every way.

Evan Platt 02-18-2007 07:11 AM

Re: Best Printer To Buy?

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:05:28 +1300, "Fred" <general@zaradise.net.uk>
wrote:

>I bought a Canon IP 3000 a couple of years ago. Only printer I've ever had
>that hasn't driven me round the bend. It's brilliant in every way.

Umm.. That's good. Any reason you're responding to me, and improperly
attributing the OP's text as myne?