Velocity Reviews

-   -   When is it a good idea to convert DB to XML on server? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t480386-when-is-it-a-good-idea-to-convert-db-to-xml-on-server.html)

bissatch@yahoo.co.uk 03-06-2007 11:40 PM

When is it a good idea to convert DB to XML on server?

Hi,

When might you convert a database to XML format. I have read cases
where it allows you to seperate the application logic from the data
logic (have i got them right?) in a more application design approach.
I like this idea, but would this only apply to large projects or where
you are definetely sharing content across various platforms or over
the internet? I would apply this to most projects but speed
performance (with the added convertion to XML and then parsing the
XML) and the added time required to build the DB->XML conversion
process concern me.

I understand that when sharing content over HTTP or sharing content
between paltforms (desktop, mobile devices) but are there any other
time where you may adopt this? Basically Im just trying to grasp a
better idea of application design and this is one area Im unclear
about. If anyone could shed a little light on the matter it would be
much appreciated.

Burnsy

Joe Kesselman 03-07-2007 12:53 AM

Re: When is it a good idea to convert DB to XML on server?

> When might you convert a database to XML format.

In general: You wouldn't. You might export information from a database
into XML format, or import XML into a database. Or, if you have
hierarchical data, you might use a database designed specifically for it
such as the PureXML features now available in DB2.

But the value of XML is as an interchange format, not as a back-end format.