Velocity Reviews

-   -   Differences Between Items In "Start Menu" And "Startup Folders" ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t479766-differences-between-items-in-start-menu-and-startup-folders.html)

Robert11 01-12-2007 01:07 PM

Differences Between Items In "Start Menu" And "Startup Folders" ?

Hello:

Running XP

In C\Documents and Settings\Bob\ there is a Start Menu.

In this Start Menu there is a Startup Folder in \Programs.

Confused over what the difference is between the items in the Startup
Folder, and the Start Menu items ?

I guess the Startup menu items actually start running upon starting up the
PC.
Right ?

But do any of the Start Menu items also start when the PC loads ?

If anyone could explain this terminology a bit, would be appreciative.

Also: there are 2 users on my PC.
Does the other user possibly have "startup" items that start when the PC is
first turned on that
may not appear in my listings as described above ?

Thanks,
B.

JOG 01-12-2007 03:09 PM

Re: Differences Between Items In "Start Menu" And "Startup Folders" ?

Hi B.

2 Settings times 2

1 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
2 - C:\Documents and Settings\Bob

In these 2 folders:

the Start Menu\Programs path

Start Menu is what you find directly above the Start button
Programs is where you Program folders and application icons are stored. The
entries here are static, that is until you click them, Starting your PC does
not affect these entries.

Then there is the Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder which may or may not
contains shortcuts (or applications although not very logical).
These shortcuts will be started that is the applications they point to will
be launched when you log on (It may be that you do not have to log on
becasue you choose to have your account to log on automatically).

The difference between the entries in these folders is simply that what is
in

1 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup -> will
affect all users
&
2 - C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\Start Menu\Programs\Startup -> will only
ever start when Bob (you I assume) logs on

Hope that helps.

Kind regards

Joseph
IT Analyst
London - UK
http://uk.geocities.com/josephoget/a2z/ilo/

news:mM2dnSfmiuduGjrYnZ2dnUVZ_uyknZ2d@comcast.com. ..

Evan Platt 01-12-2007 03:11 PM

Re: Differences Between Items In "Start Menu" And "Startup Folders" ?

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:07:05 -0500, "Robert11" <rgsros@notme.com>
wrote:

>Hello:
>
>Running XP
>
>In C\Documents and Settings\Bob\ there is a Start Menu.
>
>In this Start Menu there is a Startup Folder in \Programs.
>
>Confused over what the difference is between the items in the Startup
>Folder, and the Start Menu items ?

Start Menu is items that appear off your Start button. Startup items
start when you turn on your computer.

>I guess the Startup menu items actually start running upon starting up the
>PC.
>Right ?

Yes.

>But do any of the Start Menu items also start when the PC loads ?

Possibly. A item would need to be set to do so in the registry.

>If anyone could explain this terminology a bit, would be appreciative.
>
>Also: there are 2 users on my PC.
>Does the other user possibly have "startup" items that start when the PC is
>first turned on that
>may not appear in my listings as described above ?

Yes. There's tons of ways a item could be set to run when the computer
is booted.

Is there a problem or issue you are experiencing?