Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sony vaio update. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t479585-sony-vaio-update.html)

joevan 01-06-2007 10:45 PM

Sony vaio update.

A bit of going but finally removed the bios battery, waited a while
and reset all. Reloaded the old xp sony supplied and then and only
then was able to update to xp pro. I think the old system was maybe
flawed.
I still have a small error somewhere in the bios as when rebooting
option is f2 to find error or f1 to continue, whereby the machine
starts and all works fine.
I don't have any idea what the error would be. How do I find it?
The machine is working great now and daughter is happy and does not
mind the small kink of having to hit f1 each time the machine is
started.

philo 01-06-2007 11:46 PM

Re: Sony vaio update.

"joevan" <joevanudity@joevanudity.com> wrote in message
> A bit of going but finally removed the bios battery, waited a while
> and reset all. Reloaded the old xp sony supplied and then and only
> then was able to update to xp pro. I think the old system was maybe
> flawed.
> I still have a small error somewhere in the bios as when rebooting
> option is f2 to find error or f1 to continue, whereby the machine
> starts and all works fine.
> I don't have any idea what the error would be. How do I find it?
> The machine is working great now and daughter is happy and does not
> mind the small kink of having to hit f1 each time the machine is
> started.

To find out what's causing the error...
just a guess here...but I'd say hit F2 :)

joevan 01-06-2007 11:51 PM

Re: Sony vaio update.

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 17:46:22 -0600, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

>"joevan" <joevanudity@joevanudity.com> wrote in message
>news:pc90q2t38kcflaelvl8fpb74da5jive8i1@4ax.com.. .
>> A bit of going but finally removed the bios battery, waited a while
>> and reset all. Reloaded the old xp sony supplied and then and only
>> then was able to update to xp pro. I think the old system was maybe
>> flawed.
>> I still have a small error somewhere in the bios as when rebooting
>> option is f2 to find error or f1 to continue, whereby the machine
>> starts and all works fine.
>> I don't have any idea what the error would be. How do I find it?
>> The machine is working great now and daughter is happy and does not
>> mind the small kink of having to hit f1 each time the machine is
>> started.

>To find out what's causing the error...
>just a guess here...but I'd say hit F2 :)

I guess I did that a few times and could not see what was causing the
error. What do I look for? I am not real good with the bios settings.
Any help would be welcome.

philo 01-06-2007 11:56 PM

Re: Sony vaio update.

> >To find out what's causing the error...
> >just a guess here...but I'd say hit F2 :)
> >

> I guess I did that a few times and could not see what was causing the
> error. What do I look for? I am not real good with the bios settings.
> Any help would be welcome.

Sometimes it's just as simple as making sure the date is right...
then save and exit

Meat Plow 01-07-2007 12:30 AM

Re: Sony vaio update.

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 23:51:09 +0000, joevan Has Frothed:

> On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 17:46:22 -0600, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>

>>"joevan" <joevanudity@joevanudity.com> wrote in message
>>news:pc90q2t38kcflaelvl8fpb74da5jive8i1@4ax.com. ..
>>> A bit of going but finally removed the bios battery, waited a while
>>> and reset all. Reloaded the old xp sony supplied and then and only
>>> then was able to update to xp pro. I think the old system was maybe
>>> flawed.
>>> I still have a small error somewhere in the bios as when rebooting
>>> option is f2 to find error or f1 to continue, whereby the machine
>>> starts and all works fine.
>>> I don't have any idea what the error would be. How do I find it?
>>> The machine is working great now and daughter is happy and does not
>>> mind the small kink of having to hit f1 each time the machine is
>>> started.

>>To find out what's causing the error...
>>just a guess here...but I'd say hit F2 :)
>>

> I guess I did that a few times and could not see what was causing the
> error. What do I look for? I am not real good with the bios settings.
> Any help would be welcome.

Maybe set to default values, or optimized or safe or something like that. :)

COOSN-266-06-25794

joevan 01-07-2007 12:00 PM

Re: Sony vaio update.

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 19:30:25 -0500, Meat Plow <meat@meatplow.local>
wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 23:51:09 +0000, joevan Has Frothed:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 17:46:22 -0600, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"joevan" <joevanudity@joevanudity.com> wrote in message
>>>news:pc90q2t38kcflaelvl8fpb74da5jive8i1@4ax.com ...
>>>

>>>To find out what's causing the error...
>>>just a guess here...but I'd say hit F2 :)
>>>

>> I guess I did that a few times and could not see what was causing the
>> error. What do I look for? I am not real good with the bios settings.
>> Any help would be welcome.

>Maybe set to default values, or optimized or safe or something like that. :)

It was set to default values and still there is the message about an
error. There is no floppy and I think maybe when the machine was new
the guy had a floppy in it. I have checked that part of the bios and
it seems to be correctly set, floppy disabled-yes.
It is an older machine, could the bios be flashed to correct the
problem?. I will check with everest, and see what it offers.

philo 01-07-2007 01:08 PM

Re: Sony vaio update.

<snip>.

> >Maybe set to default values, or optimized or safe or something like that.

:)
> It was set to default values and still there is the message about an
> error. There is no floppy and I think maybe when the machine was new
> the guy had a floppy in it. I have checked that part of the bios and
> it seems to be correctly set, floppy disabled-yes.
> It is an older machine, could the bios be flashed to correct the
> problem?. I will check with everest, and see what it offers.

don't fool around with a bios flash
you could make things worse...

if you cannot find the reason for the error message...i'd just ignore it
as long as all else is ok

joevan 01-07-2007 03:13 PM

Re: Sony vaio update.

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 07:08:53 -0600, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

><snip>.
>> >
>> >Maybe set to default values, or optimized or safe or something like that.

>:)
>> It was set to default values and still there is the message about an
>> error. There is no floppy and I think maybe when the machine was new
>> the guy had a floppy in it. I have checked that part of the bios and
>> it seems to be correctly set, floppy disabled-yes.
>> It is an older machine, could the bios be flashed to correct the
>> problem?. I will check with everest, and see what it offers.

>don't fool around with a bios flash
>you could make things worse...
>
>if you cannot find the reason for the error message...i'd just ignore it
>as long as all else is ok

Makes good sense. I checked the date and it is all set. Maybe I will
find the error or maybe not. Not a big problem and no reason to chance
making things worse. Thanks.

joevan 01-07-2007 04:20 PM

Re: Sony vaio update.

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 07:08:53 -0600, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

>don't fool around with a bios flash
>you could make things worse...
>
>if you cannot find the reason for the error message...i'd just ignore it
>as long as all else is ok

Just this and I wonder if it may be some of the problem. The bios date
via Everest, is Sept, 01. over 5 years old. Just wondering if that
could be a problem?