Velocity Reviews

-   -   ipconfig/release (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t479372-ipconfig-release.html)

joevan 12-31-2006 01:14 AM

ipconfig/release

I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not via
IE. Neither can I connect to email.
Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
online or not.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 12-31-2006 01:22 AM

Re: ipconfig/release

joevan <joevanudity@joevanudity.com> wrote:

>I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
>daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
>I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not via
>IE. Neither can I connect to email.
>Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
>I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
>online or not.

Try this instead
Start | Run <type in>
CMD /K IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
<enter>
--
The Top Ten Astronomy Images of 2006
http://tinyurl.com/y5nnks

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 12-31-2006 01:37 AM

Re: ipconfig/release

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:

> joevan <joevanudity@joevanudity.com> wrote:
>
>>I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
>>daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
>>I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not via
>>IE. Neither can I connect to email.
>>Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
>>I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
>>online or not.

>Try this instead
>Start | Run <type in>
>CMD /K IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
><enter>

Since this works sometimes, You can also go into the Control Panel /
network connections, right click the problem connection and select
repair - which also might work.

Mr. Arnold 12-31-2006 02:07 AM

Re: ipconfig/release

joevan wrote:
> I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
> daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
> I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not via
> IE. Neither can I connect to email.
> Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
> I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
> online or not.

You should be able to use IPconfig /release and IPconfig /renew to
release and renew the connection. I don't know why they would tell to
contact Sony for a possible O/S problem.

Based on the Windows O/S being used, you can reset the TCP/IP stack and
see if that works for you.

You can search Google for the how to.

What IP(s) does the machine have when you enter IPconfig /all?

Mr. Arnold 12-31-2006 02:18 AM

Re: ipconfig/release

Denial of **** are you sitting in fornt of that machine?

doS 12-31-2006 02:19 AM

Re: ipconfig/release

news:_XElh.4683$pQ3.658@newsread4.news.pas.earthli nk.net...

Death6 12-31-2006 02:24 AM

Re: ipconfig/release

Denial of ****, you should die and crawl back into that septic tank.

Daave 12-31-2006 04:26 AM

Re: ipconfig/release

joevan wrote:
> I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
> daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
> I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not via
> IE. Neither can I connect to email.
> Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
> I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
> online or not.

Is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way since you got
the machine?

What happens when you use another browser?

Are there any toolbar add-ons in IE? Yahoo and UPromise toolbars are
known to hose IE.

--
Dave

joevan 12-31-2006 12:51 PM

Re: ipconfig/release

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:26:05 -0500, "Daave"
<dcwashNOSPAM@myrealboxXYZ.invalid> wrote:

>joevan wrote:
>> I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
>> daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
>> I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not via
>> IE. Neither can I connect to email.
>> Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
>> I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
>> online or not.

>Is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way since you got
>the machine?
>
>What happens when you use another browser?
>
>Are there any toolbar add-ons in IE? Yahoo and UPromise toolbars are
>known to hose IE.

Uh, it isn't just IE, Mail will not work either. When I checked
ipconfig /all I saw that-
iprouting not enabled,
and wins proxy not enabled.
This is probably the problem.
How do I enable them?
I checked this machine which obviously works and they are of course
enabled on it.

why? 12-31-2006 03:05 PM

Re: ipconfig/release

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:51:25 GMT, joevan wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:26:05 -0500, "Daave"
><dcwashNOSPAM@myrealboxXYZ.invalid> wrote:
>
>>joevan wrote:
>>> I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
>>> daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
>>> I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not via

Ping using hostname or IP address?

>>> IE. Neither can I connect to email.
>>> Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
>>> I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
>>> online or not.

Pinging a site outside your ISP means the basics are all working.

>>Is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way since you got
>>the machine?
>>
>>What happens when you use another browser?
>>
>>Are there any toolbar add-ons in IE? Yahoo and UPromise toolbars are
>>known to hose IE.

>Uh, it isn't just IE, Mail will not work either. When I checked
>ipconfig /all I saw that-

When you checked ipconfig/all, besides the IP address was anything else
different? If it's the same ISP connection the DNS/Subnet mask/Gateway
should be the same. Generally only IP address and MAC address are
different.

> iprouting not enabled,

You shouldn't need IP Routing and won't need WINS Proxy, or WINS server.

IP Routing is used when you have a PC multihomed with 2 network cards
and you need traffic to cross from 1 connection through the PC to the
other connection. As in System#2 on the disgram
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../w2kprout.html

WINS Proxy (WINS) is a MS name server that is similar to DNS. Where as
DNS converts an IP address to / from it's DNS name. WINS does the same
thing for NetBIOS names.

For example, my PC -
IP public address is set by my ISP.
DNS public name is set by my ISP.

PC NetBIOS local name is set by me. MS Networking takes care of that. On
a larger scale, say 1000's of PC at the office a WINS server maps
NetBIOS names to IPs.

>and wins proxy not enabled.
>This is probably the problem.
>How do I enable them?
>I checked this machine which obviously works and they are of course
>enabled on it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067
try a traceroute to something like your ISPs gateway or mai server. Use
the IP address rather than names.

Me